The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 14, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #15,422 of 17,484
  Ok, then you'll see it. ; ) I don't usually lie about audio equipment.

Of course you don´t, there´s just different tastes and different uses. RIght now I need something that can sevice a pair of Sennheiser hd700s more than I need an IEM specific amp. But yeah, I´m intrigued enough about the 12A to get it, especially because it just looks very nice stacked with an x3. And isn´t too expensive. 

But perhaps you can compare the two if it´s not too much trouble?

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #15,423 of 17,484
E12A sounds more neutral and natural while C5 sounds thicker with a slight sound coloration. And then there's battery life. By the other side C5's soundstage is wider. As you say very well its up to personal preference, but I prefer E12A.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #15,424 of 17,484
While saving up and waiting for the second generation, may I request for James and his team to grant us the play-through-folder feature that made my X1 a much pleasurable DAP to have? To my mind, my X3 can then gracefully wait it for its battery to die out before the second gen gets to inherit my headphones :)

The ability to play to the next folder should be in the next FW update. It's already in the latest test FW beta version.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #15,426 of 17,484
Changing the sound in firmware is a no win situation as there will always be people saying the last firmware sounded better and now they ruined it. What they think is a sound quality improvement will not be what everyone thinks is an improvement.

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #15,428 of 17,484
I seriously doubt that, but OK, I´ll get the 12A too. In a month or so. 

I had both Cayin C5 and Fiii E12A. I still have Fiio E12A. Another Headfier has the C5 now.

For IEM, I found the C5's volume pot went to eardrum shattering volumes much too quickly. Sound was nice (if a bit grainy) without bass boost on. Turn bass boost on, and I found the sound overly warm. Soundstage was great. Much more useful for harder to drive full size cans and for people who prefer a broad spectrum bass boost to warm up the sound signature.

E12A has much more usable range on the volume pot, although I'd argue low gain should be lower for even more usable range. Upper end is smoother / less grainy. Bass boost is much more focused on low bass, providing a very clean bass boost which doesn't color the basic sound signature as much as C5's bass boost. Soundstage is more intimate than C5's. Power is targeted towards IEM and less power hungry full size cans.

As you can see, it's about personal preference. No reason to argue about which is better :)

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #15,430 of 17,484
I have a question for those who use an extra amp with this player.  Please don't jump on me, I'm just curious.  With such a powerful amp section already built into the X3, what's the point of using an extra amp?  I'm very happy with the amp in the player, and can use the bass/treble controls easily, not lose them with the LO of the player, and the amp sounds great to me in the player.  So, what's the point?

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #15,431 of 17,484
  I have a question for those who use an extra amp with this player.  Please don't jump on me, I'm just curious.  With such a powerful amp section already built into the X3, what's the point of using an extra amp?  I'm very happy with the amp in the player, and can use the bass/treble controls easily, not lose them with the LO of the player, and the amp sounds great to me in the player.  So, what's the point?

Usually for more refinement, better driving capability for power-hungry cans, etc.
It all comes down to your satisfaction. If you are pleased with the built-in amp, there's no need for stacking.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #15,432 of 17,484

Usually for more refinement, better driving capability for power-hungry cans, etc.
It all comes down to your satisfaction. If you are pleased with the built-in amp, there's no need for stacking.

Oh, okay thanks.  Interesting info.  I wonder how an amp would do now.  Sigh, it never ends does it?
ksc75smile.gif

The saying is true "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet."

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #15,433 of 17,484

Better driving capabilities,more transparent or changing the sound sig. And may be going to balanced option or an amp with roll able opamps ... Better integration of bass and treble boost !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back