The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 25, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #14,191 of 17,483
  Yes I did try my wife's 16GB card; same results. Its getting detected alright, but in the settings>About X3 screen, it can't seem to read any songs or music on it. 
And yes I can use the card on the PC without any hassles. All files present.

Say, is there a particular way to arrange the files/folders on the card for the X3 to read them?

Okay, wait, I finally seem to have gotten the player to read the 'TF card' in 'Browse files', so yay for that. But it still says 'No music found'. I have put the songs in this manner: sd Card>Folder 1(Genre)>Sub Folder 1 (Artist)>Sub Folder 2 (Album)>Track.

Will try reducing the subfolders now.

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #14,197 of 17,483
  Just got one for christmas.

Found the controls to be very easy and intuitive.

Sound quality I'm still a bit unsure. Yes it's better than my rockboxed clip but it's not a night/day difference to my ears. I'm also wondering if this is the kind of sound I prefer.

if you are listening to low volumes /easy to drive headphones .. then yes no night and day difference in sound quality .. but for me i love fiio more than the clip because its driving capabilities ,solid build , better user experience in general   

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #14,198 of 17,483
Looks like I should just accept the facts of life. Love is the first to go. Utopia is impossible. Album art gets clipped. That´s how it´s always been and that´s how it will always be. Time to give up the ghost.

Dec 25, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #14,199 of 17,483
Okay here's a question; does the 3.24 beta FW not support mp3 files?? Because thats the display message Im getting now. 'File not supported'. Very odd indeed. 

FW 3.24 supported Mp3 playback fine for me. Out of about 3500 songs, most are Mp3s so this must have been an issue for you. I am not sure why though. Maybe give the latest FW 3.3 a go. I find that to work fine with everything.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #14,200 of 17,483
What headphones are you using though? It can make a big difference if you have a pair of headphones that are around the price of the X3. Try it out with a different pair and see if you can tell a bigger difference between your two devices.

The only serious ones I have are my DT770 pro 250 ohm

With the clip it all felt small and cosy, now suddenly it doesn't any more. i get a touch more instrument seperation and I also get a soundstage that seems wider but also higher for some reason, some tracks it feels like instruments are a bit above me as well as left and right.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #14,201 of 17,483

The only serious ones I have are my DT770 pro 250 ohm

With the clip it all felt small and cosy, now suddenly it doesn't any more. i get a touch more instrument seperation and I also get a soundstage that seems wider but also higher for some reason, some tracks it feels like instruments are a bit above me as well as left and right.

Yep i experienced the same, some instruments esp female singers f.e in Palestrina's masses sounded like they were above me What????, using XBA-1 IEMs from sony and XBA-H3 also from sony

I came from an ipod classic late 2009, and yes suddenly the soundstage got wider, what you say of music left right back front i experienced that when i switched from lossy aac and mp3 to  lossless flac, mp3 is just plain old stereo 2D

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #14,202 of 17,483
@wijnands the quality depends on the source, the headphones, the music format (AAC sounds way better than mp3 but still lossy so if you can get lossless go for it) and of course the mastering and recordig quality of the music it self. it gets all chained up together. I have some Cds that sound beautiful and some 24-bit files that sound ackward

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #14,203 of 17,483
  Here's the message I'm getting.

difficult to say what can be the problem,

A) can be the file format, fiio states that some levels of xompression for APE files cannot be played back or file is simply not supported f.e trying to play and oddball format like wavpack
B) card file-system, make sure is FAT32, NTFS or exFAT
C) corrupted file, this is no brainer (backup)
D) fake card, buy brand-name sd cards f.e Sandisk, samsung
E) faulty unit and/or card?

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #14,204 of 17,483
  @wijnands the quality depends on the source, the headphones, the music format (AAC sounds way better than mp3 but still lossy so if you can get lossless go for it) and of course the mastering and recordig quality of the music it self. it gets all chained up together. I have some Cds that sound beautiful and some 24-bit files that sound ackward

Well...  I've ran this trough some various source material.

Frank Sinatra - live at the sands (DVD-Audio rip) Very intimate , very detailed. The same track  sounds even more amazing when I use the x3 as a DAC
Joni Mitchell - Blue (24bit from hdtracks) Almost raw and harsh in places, the piano sounds almost lke a toy piano in places
Beethoven's 9th , DVD-A with Claudio Abaddo (the one with the  DR value of 18 on the addagio) huge soundstage.  The presto doesn't sound muddled on the instrumants but the woodwind section is higher as well as the vocal solo on the right, the choir is lower. The timpani is so present that it becomes a bit tiring.
Diana Krall - Live in Paris 180g vinyl rip  which a kind friend once ripped for me. This actually differs the least. Theres a bit more texture in the instruments but that's about it.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trolling here. I am not saying the X3 is a bad piece of kit, it clearly is not and I do love the build quality of it. I am seriously wondering if I find it worth the substantial price difference between the clip and the X3. I do notice I find the dac function really enjoyable so I might return it and get an E17 instead

I also get the bizarre idea that the player is developing a bit more after some time, almos tlike something settles and opens up. Which sounds really strange when talking about a wholly digital piece of kit

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #14,205 of 17,483
FiiO has said the caps break in a bit. The more detailed the player the more you'll hear how the track was produced and mastered. Also, as mentioned earlier, theX3 scales with better headphones.

Merry Christmas all! :santa:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back