The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 2, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #13,771 of 17,484
  +1 for increasing the sound quality in high gain ... for some odd reason and not just because the increased volume level as some would argue !!! .... any way i must disagree with you in "  Low gain makes mine almost as bad as an iPod " no DAP i have ever heard in my life has the dead , dry , boring & soul killing sound like an Ipod !!!  

My wife insisted on an iPod two Christmases ago. I went to the store. They had listening posts set up with decent sennheisers, not ear buds. As soon as the classical piece they had for demo added the fifth instrument it all turned to mush. You couldn't distinguish the individual instruments. I don't know if it was iTunes or iTunes plus. I held my nose and got the 6th gen nano. Gold, cute, it was wearable for work. I set it up for iTunes+, which helps a lot over straight iTunes, and got her Yuin low impedance PK2s, since she can't be isolated at work. Also a good improvement. Sometimes as the audio nut among friends you can only help them from where they are, opinion-wise.

This X3, loaded up (64gb added) with songs from our common youth, is going to a cousin I grew up next door to for Christmas. He faces a lot of hospital time battling cancer, and with Ultrasone DJ1s, will do a fair imitation of his Cerwin-Vega rock system at home. The Ultrasone is a good personality match for my drummer cousin.
The X3 gives surprisingly little ground to my home system, which has a Rega DAC (also Wolfson) and VanAlstine FET-valve pre/headphone amp. No, I can't hear the felts coming off Mancini's piano on the song called Sometimes, with Karen Carpenter (which I can with the big system), but still, for a small fraction of the cost, close. I mean, the REGA is $1k and the VanAlstine is 3k today, so the little X3 is impressive. I still think it compresses the dynamics a little and it has a trace of transistor sound, but not bad.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #13,772 of 17,484
  Received no answer on my dead fiio x3 issue, seems fiio has lost a customer, so going back to Sony Walkman

I have had really good service from FiiO. They always get back very quickly for me. If you can't get through the way you have been trying, you could try sending an e-mail to FiiO Customer Support <support@fiio.net>.

This FiiO page is also useful:
http://www.fiio.net/en/contact

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #13,775 of 17,484
Dec 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #13,776 of 17,484
Why not ask them yourself? I am curious as to what difference a new versus old version would make? When I bought mine I assume I got the old version. It works swell. Is it possible the new version doesn't work swell? Not very likely.

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #13,777 of 17,484
Guys, question. And sorry if this has been asked before.
Can the X3 get overcharged?
I always have my X3 as DAC for my PC and laptop so it is connected to charge almost everytime. Would it have negative effect on it?

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #13,778 of 17,484
I always have my X3 as DAC for my PC and laptop so it is connected to charge almost everytime. Would it have negative effect on it?

I guess so. someone has this battery issue a few post back the thread. The X3 is not intended to be use as a DAC but as a DAP. But im not sure just my opinion. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #13,779 of 17,484
I guess so. someone has this battery issue a few post back the thread. The X3 is not intended to be use as a DAC but as a DAP. But im not sure just my opinion. 

Well, it can be used as an usb-dac not exclusive as DAP only....The electronic has the intelligence to protect the battery overcharge so I dont think its an issue and degrade battery life if it has a prolonged USB/power connection.....

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #13,780 of 17,484

The battery has internal circuitry to prevent overcharging, the only issue with leaving it permanently on charge is a reduced battery life. If you want to prolong the batteries life it's good practice to keep it out of hot environments and drain and charge the battery at least once a month.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #13,783 of 17,484
Hello all,
I originally posted this in the Fiio sponser's forum, but thought I might post it here also:

I have an X3 arriving tomorrow and I have a new 128gb micro sd card.  I have read the manual for the X3 and gone over this forum(there is a lot of stuff here, a bit overwhelming).  I am still a bit confused, so hopefully someone can offer advice.  Do I need a separate, smaller SD card to update the firmware? If so, what is the minimum size card needed?  Does it need to be formatted in FAT32?  Do I need to format my 128gb card to fat32, or can I use exfat?  Finally, should I update to the latest beta software, or what would you recommend?
Any and all help will be appreciated, thanks.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #13,784 of 17,484

No ,there is no harm to leave it in charger. When i am charging it i leave it all the night most of time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back