The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #13,501 of 17,483
Just went back to 3.21b today to try it again.

MAJOR Issue: The very first time I turned off the player and came back to it, I got the dreaded start screen. It did NOT remember where I was before.

I mark this as a major issue because FiiO seems to think that the X3 is 'stable' now - where it is not. Still cant 100% remember the track I was on, and of course the annoying gapless issue with 3.21b.....

Its time for a new firmware!!! We are almost there!!!

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #13,502 of 17,483
Hello everyone....

I havent posted for ages after being "content" with the sound from my X3 and Westone 4R earphones.

However I am now looking to spend a bit of money and would like to know how to best inprove my set up with a budget of £300.

Is an amp the way to go and if so please recommend me one.

Is the X5 sonically superior to the X3, does it have better components?

Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

thanks
Chris....

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #13,503 of 17,483
  Just went back to 3.21b today to try it again.

MAJOR Issue: The very first time I turned off the player and came back to it, I got the dreaded start screen. It did NOT remember where I was before.

I mark this as a major issue because FiiO seems to think that the X3 is 'stable' now - where it is not. Still cant 100% remember the track I was on, and of course the annoying gapless issue with 3.21b.....

Its time for a new firmware!!! We are almost there!!!

You didi go into the settings and turned on resume mode? Just double checking since I've got no problem with this on my unit......

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #13,504 of 17,483

To some extent, it depends on which op amp you are using.  But changing the sound signature for a few bucks is of course is one of the great funs of the cmoy.  

I like the JRC4556 best among of what I tried.  With it, I'd say the X3+cmoy combo sounds more lush, full and effortless than the X3 alone.

Have you tried X3 with the E12 or C5? I get the impression that E12 is more powerful than the C5 but that the latter is a better amp overall compared to the former. My current gear is composed of easy-to-drive IEMs and a pair of full-sized cans (SRH440) so the power difference is a non-issue for me.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #13,505 of 17,483
  Hello everyone....

I havent posted for ages after being "content" with the sound from my X3 and Westone 4R earphones.

However I am now looking to spend a bit of money and would like to know how to best inprove my set up with a budget of £300.

Is an amp the way to go and if so please recommend me one.

Is the X5 sonically superior to the X3, does it have better components?

Any suggestions will be really appreciated.

thanks
Chris....

Cool! We have the exact same setup. haha
Although recently I've been spending more time with my SRH440 after I replaced its old and damaged pads with the 840's pads. It sounds so much better now that I sometimes wonder why my W4Rs don't sound as good (an unfair comparison of IEMs vs full-sized cans, I know).

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #13,506 of 17,483
Got myself an X3 last week and while the sound quality trounces anything else I've ever used, I think the UI is absolutely woeful.
Would like to try some of the custom themes that have been created by users on here, but I have no idea how to load them up onto the player.

Any help please guys?

Thanks.

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #13,507 of 17,483
  Got myself an X3 last week and while the sound quality trounces anything else I've ever used, I think the UI is absolutely woeful.
Would like to try some of the custom themes that have been created by users on here, but I have no idea how to load them up onto the player.

Any help please guys?

Thanks.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/drswwsgg2kzlhns/X3_LIM_Beta_1.8.1.zip

download and unzip the file, copy the x3.fw file to the root directly (i.e not in any folder) of the memory card. Then, whilst the x3 is off, press the power and menu buttons at the same time..hold them in, until you see the update start

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #13,508 of 17,483
  http://www.mediafire.com/download/drswwsgg2kzlhns/X3_LIM_Beta_1.8.1.zip

download and unzip the file, copy the x3.fw file to the root directly (i.e not in any folder) of the memory card. Then, whilst the x3 is off, press the power and menu buttons at the same time..hold them in, until you see the update start

OK I'll give that a go, thanks very much

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #13,509 of 17,483
Lately I've been finding that my X3 is a bit cold in sound signature and it doesn't match well with my CT-200
Even straight out of my laptop, the CT-200 produces a much more preferred tonality (although at the cost of clarity).
I'm thinking of buying a warmer portable amplifier to go along with the X3, what would you guys recommend ?

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #13,510 of 17,483
  Lately I've been finding that my X3 is a bit cold in sound signature and it doesn't match well with my CT-200
Even straight out of my laptop, the CT-200 produces a much more preferred tonality (although at the cost of clarity).
I'm thinking of buying a warmer portable amplifier to go along with the X3, what would you guys recommend ?

E11K, or even E12 (with bass boost on)

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #13,511 of 17,483

To some extent, it depends on which op amp you are using.  But changing the sound signature for a few bucks is of course is one of the great funs of the cmoy.  

I like the JRC4556 best among of what I tried.  With it, I'd say the X3+cmoy combo sounds more lush, full and effortless than the X3 alone.

Have you tried X3 with the E12 or C5? I get the impression that E12 is more powerful than the C5 but that the latter is a better amp overall compared to the former. My current gear is composed of easy-to-drive IEMs and a pair of full-sized cans (SRH440) so the power difference is a non-issue for me.

Nope, I have not tried either the E12 or C5.  

The C5 may very well be better than my cmoy.  JDS labs makes a cmoy and the C5, and the C5 is 3X more expensive.  

Anyhow, I don't need the power either.  My cans are easy to drive.  I am really looking at the quality difference here.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #13,512 of 17,483

As I mentioned, I think that cmoy amps are a very musical combo with the X3.  

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #13,514 of 17,483
I know you guys have been waiting for this for a while--we did not forget!
M3U playlists and multiband EQ come to the X3 at last!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742014/x3-firmware-3-22beta-m3u-playlists-5-band-eq-nooneleftbehind

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back