The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #12,188 of 17,484
Yes back to the X3 discussions before the defecation hits the rotating oscillator...

The Line Out on the X3 is superb driving the little Mui Audio MKTP-1 hybrid, Rush "gold" in 24/96 sounds excellent on the DT880.
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #12,191 of 17,484
I normally much prefer much old music to modern stuff so I had been thinking that I had never heard 24bit recording before. My faivourite band is genesis from the early 1970s and even the remasters obviously can't be found in 24bit either. I really like Steve Hackett's music. That is outside of genesis and his latest studio album is form 2011. That is the first 24bit recording I have heard and it works on the X3 very well. It sounds quite a bit better that my normal 320kbps Mp3s. The amount of space this double album takes up is a huge amount though. My old player wouldn't handle this format so I think only my X3 and PC will play this.

The most noticeable improvement I would say is the clarity of the vocals. They are so much more clear than they were before. It sounds just as good through the X3 as through the E10 from my PC. I will have to like more new music if I am expecting to come across more that is available in 24bit though.

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #12,192 of 17,484
Actually almost all of the genesis catalog has been issued in 24bit remastered versions, both SACD and also DVD format.  Two boxed sets covers almost the whole catalog.  The mixes are controversial, however.

Not to mention the various separate Japanese SACD releases.  Keep in mind that with the PS3 mods that music can be moved to your PC, it just takes a lot of work or a friend that has figured this stuff out.  I think the Japanese mixes are true to the original masters.

Aug 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #12,193 of 17,484

Quote:
  My faivourite band is genesis from the early 1970s and even the remasters obviously can't be found in 24bit either

+1

I'd kill for Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound in a nicely remastered 24/96!
beerchug.gif

Actually almost all of the genesis catalog has been issued in 24bit remastered versions, both SACD and also DVD format.  Two boxed sets covers almost the whole catalog.  The mixes are controversial, however.

Hmmmm that's not good then. 
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #12,194 of 17,484
#TheGiantHogweed

The best Peter Gabriel Genesis recordings are the redbook CDs released by Virgin Charisma 1985 -

Tresspass CASCD 1020
Nursery Cryme CASCD 1052
Foxtrot CASCD 1058
Selling England CASCD 1074
Lamb Lies Down CGSCD1

They were available as two box sets with picture discs...

Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited, Genesis Revisited II and the live version are all worthwhile.

#originalsnuffy

The Japanese SACDs will be the same source as the above.
The box set 1970-1975 is interesting because of the different mixes. Maybe controversial, but still well worth a listen and worthwhile for the 5.1 versions (only available lossless on SACD)

#TrollDragon

24/96 isn't going to make anything sound better

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #12,195 of 17,484

Not to mention the various separate Japanese SACD releases.  Keep in mind that with the PS3 mods that music can be moved to your PC, it just takes a lot of work or a friend that has figured this stuff out.  I think the Japanese mixes are true to the original masters.

Actually it is three boxed sets and only the multi-channel mixes are controversial. Personally I like them. Extracting the DSD ISO files form the hybrid SACD's is indeed a lot of work, even if you know someone who has a PS3 set up for this, as I do, but the DVD versions of the Genesis catalogue contain a DTS 24/96 mix and this can be easily ripped with software such as DVD-Audio Extractor. It's possible, I'm not fully sure, that you would have to downmix the DTS 24/96 into two channel as that particular mix may only be available in multi-channel. I have no way of knowing what effect, if any, that would have on the fidelity of the files. My guess would be very little as I had to do this with the Beatles, Love DVD-Audio whose hi-rez mix is multi-channel only, and it sounds fantastic.

It's basically a waste of time to extract and load DSD ISO files onto the X3 as the X3 will downsample them to PCM anyway, plus those files are truly huge. These DTS 24/96 discs, released by Rhino are out of print,  but are still relatively easy and cheap to acquire used online. The SACD's either the ones from Warner or the Japanese ones are much more difficult to acquire and considerably more expensive even if you can.

As far as these type of files being large, well hi-rez is what the X3 is made for and now with the advent of 128GB micro SD cards you will still have lots of room for hi-rez material. I have a 64 GB card with about 70 full hi-rez albums ripped from DVD-Audio discs at either 24/96 or 24/192.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back