The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #11,956 of 17,484
He wanted to know if Nuvistors are in great demand as he was hoping for an offglobe contract for his space manufacturing facility.
Nuvistor!
I'd really like a pair of 6CW4's or 6DS4's to try as drivers in my amp...

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #11,957 of 17,484
  Mine hasn't.

I can read 7 lines and the 8th line isn't readable with this angle. The screen cover is clear, nothing blurry.

It is only the picture that is blurry.  The X3 itself isn't at all. The problem is when I hold the X3 strait, the cover isn't quite in line with the screen. I'm not sure how to say. The bottom few mm of the screen can't be seen unless I tilt it up the other way. Then the screen starts getting harder to read because of its poor viewing angles. I think I will get used to this case eventually. When I had the silicone case on, I could read the bottom track of the list when the X3 was lying down flat on my desk.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #11,960 of 17,484
No I haven't seen any sockets around, I would just cobble some adapters to plug into a regular B9A socket.

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #11,962 of 17,484
Thanks!
But much more that I wanted to spend on a tinker project, PacificTV has the sockets I just found out.
http://pacifictv.ca/socket.htm#nuvistor

There is an eBay seller in the Ukraine that has a pair of NOS 6CW4's as well. Like everything else there are always too many projects on the go right now to play with, so the little metal tube will have to wait.

But thanks for looking and jogging my memory of the Nuvistor.
:beerchug:

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #11,963 of 17,484
You will have to rename your files with the track number as the first part of the filename.

Like:
01 - First Song Name.flac
02 - Second Song Name.flac

And so on, it's a PiTA but I have done this with all my music since day one on various player and never have a problem.

Thanks - I was hoping to avoid this but I guess once it is done I won't have to do it again!

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #11,965 of 17,484
So, after a lot of reading (and lurking) and deliberating, I finally pulled the trigger and got myself an X3 yesterday. Hi guys! =D

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #11,967 of 17,484
Hm, the first look I had of it was a demo unit that was out of the silicon case. The build quality looked pretty good and the screen is nice and clear. 

The odd buttons were rather unintuitive at first but I think I'm getting the hang of them already. The awkward positioning actually makes it easier to find the buttons without looking at them I feel.

The UI is clean enough but searching for songs was a bit of a pain, coming from touchscreens and alphabet based searching. That most of my songs are Japanese didn't help as the system automatically sorts them towards the bottom in no apparent order. This was improved with some filename jiggery pokery and arranging them into folders. Haven't fully tried out the other features yet.

As for the SQ, the first time i auditioned it i was blown away (coming from a Galaxy Note 2 with Fiio E06 amp) by the sheer clarity of the sound and the ease with which the X3 could drive my ATH-M40x (they weren't kidding about building in that E17). That was pretty much the deal-clincher for me.

After a few more hours using it though, I feel that the sound is very slightly lacking in body, though that's mostly due to the M40x's flat sound signature. Here's where I feel that having an equaliser would have been an improvement as the sound can then be tailored to the headphones. The X3 does allow for treble and bass adjustments but as the M40x is slightly lacking in the mids, I tried to drop both the treble and bass to relatively increase the mids but it wasn't quite as effective. Will try again with the higher gain setting tomorrow.

I also had the chance to test out the DAC function and the X3 was a strong competitor to my laptop's Creative Sound Blaster sound card. The native sound card just managed to edge out the X3 but I'd forgotten that I had enabled the equaliser and virtualiser. Will compare them again on a more level field when I get back.

All in all I feel that the X3 has truly fantastic value for the quality you're getting. The lack of an equaliser proved to be a small con to me but YMMV. I have high hopes that it will be included in the upcoming firmware updates however, seeing that it's in the (very beautiful) X5 and also how responsive JamesFiio is with regards to product feedback. =)

And thus concludes my first ever mini review haha.. I'm no audiophile and so I apologise for the use of nonstandard words in my descriptions..

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #11,968 of 17,484
I am using FW 3.0.  The other day I plugged the line out into my car stereo and it kept shutting down when I turned it on (I have it set to resume from last position).  When I looked at the screen it said Player Locked Shutting Down.  I moved the lock switch to unlocked position and the player worked without shutting down.  Is the shutdown a bug or planned feature?  

The Lock switch often causes newbies to not be able to setup the player (myself included when I first got it) when it gets inadvertently set to the locked position.  

Can the firmware include a feature to disable the Lock Switch?  I find that feature to be useless and it could save new users from having to search why they cannot setup their player.

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #11,970 of 17,484
  So, after a lot of reading (and lurking) and deliberating, I finally pulled the trigger and got myself an X3 yesterday. Hi guys! =D

Just ordered mine minutes ago. Good price with free shipping and no tax. Hoping the experience lives up to the accolades, which seem to be universal. Ripped my first FLAC track yesterday. Much work to be done!!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back