The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #11,492 of 17,484
  So this causes volume loss?

It depends on where they put all the zeroes...

It doesn't inherently, but I suspect that someone who rips from vinyl is quite likely to give themselves plenty of headroom. At the end of the day, your volume is low almost certainly because the volume of the track is low. The X3 is quite capable of playing 24bit tracks as load as 16bit tracks if they are mastered at the same volume.

With all those spare bits you can probably do a volume normalisation of some kind without losing too much quality, if you want. Or you could ask for your money back for those tracks 
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #11,497 of 17,484
I don't rip them myself. It's all downloaded from PB. :wink: 

90% of the vinyl rips on PB are not fit to listen too... I would just avoid them all together. 
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #11,499 of 17,484
Jul 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #11,500 of 17,484

Interesting to note. Where do you guys get your vinyl rips from?

I try not to bother at all with vinyl rips... I find them to have way too much noise, even after the click and pop software has been run on the files. 
But that is me... YMMV 
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #11,502 of 17,484
  Many of the vinyl rips I downloaded do have more noise than their CD counterparts, but I feel I am not taking advantage of the X3. Maybe I will take your advice.

I'm not a fan of vinyl rips either, but you can still get hi-res files from digital sources. HDTracks probably supply quite a few to PB inadvertently. Or you could get them direct from HDTracks - but the choice is very limited if you aren't in the US.

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #11,503 of 17,484
  Many of the vinyl rips I downloaded do have more noise than their CD counterparts, but I feel I am not taking advantage of the X3. Maybe I will take your advice.

I would search for some nice 24/96 digital versions to test out, There is a lot of great High-Rez audio on HDTracks.com, you should see if your supplier has any HDTracks samples... 
wink.gif

Edit tjw321 is just too fast... 
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #11,505 of 17,484
  I would search for some nice 24/96 digital versions to test out, There is a lot of great High-Rez audio on HDTracks.com, you should see if your supplier has any HDTracks samples... 
wink.gif

I see that we're thinking along the same lines here.. 
beerchug.gif

forgot to mention that even digital hi-res files can be pretty poor, too. They have been known to originate form the left and right channels of a 5( or more).1 recording. Don't give up if the first one you try doesn't sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back