The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #11,476 of 17,484
  That is strange. It may just be that the hi-res files are mastered with more dynamic range. The one CD which I have multiple bit rates for, the hi-res one is actually louder.

Do you know if the hi-res files are taken from vinyl? It may be that the individuals who transferred them deliberately kept the volume low. My hi-res files have never been on vinyl so that may make a difference.

It seems the 24bit albums I tested were vinyl albums.

Jul 14, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #11,477 of 17,484

Not necessarily. I did a poll over on ABI re: volume and what level people listen to etc. I'm known (over there) for listening at stupidily high volumes (on multiple Cowon's). Under certain settings I'll listen at 37/40 whereas most other users fall to 20-30 bracket.
I've been criticized for possibly being partially deaf, but irl my hearing has never really been questioned. For example, when sitting watching movies with 5.1 sound, I'm in sync with my wife as to what is an acceptable level (not too loud, not too quiet, just right etc). She listens to her Cowon at level 25.
I guess some people just really like listening to music at high volumes, anything less is just not as good an experience.

FWIW I find Android/Poweramp combo too quiet on multiple devices and various IEMs. I would need an amp if I were to go the smartphone/DAP route.

If you are in Europe, you may be hitting an EU regulation limiting the volume that players can go to with Android. With my Clips, I just pretend to be in the US so that I can get a few more dB.

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #11,478 of 17,484
What's the difference with the regular one? Aside for being considerably more expensive. 
The E12 DIY comes with a bunch of op amps and buffers to allow you to change the sound of it easily.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #11,479 of 17,484
The E12 DIY comes with a bunch of op amps and buffers to allow you to change the sound of it easily.

Had to duck out quick. Monsoon storm came over and it's best to turn everything off because of lightning.
It was a joke about the op amps and rework station. In response to nmatheis's faux torment. I took a look at the product page for that thing and got a chuckle out of it. Man, I just want GOOD MUSIC. That extreme techno stuff seems crazy to me, even though I got my degree in Electrical Engineering and designed custom audio signal processing equipment for many years. I'm a musician and have done recording engineering for some very respectable studios, live sound, live recording and musical instrument repair.
But now I don't have to do anything but enjoy life and that's all I'm gonna do.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #11,481 of 17,484

I have used the P200 pleather pads on the PortaPro's before I switched to the Grado Bowls, but found the P200 pads a little too sweaty.

They do sell foamies for the P100/200 series on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-Foam-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-Px100-Px200-Px300-Px100II-Px200II-Pmx100-Headphone-/261335321223

Opamps... you haz Opamps?

I only have a small collection...

Sir TrollDragon,

Are you using some sort of adhesive back velcro between the X3 and E12? If so, what type/size/item number do you find works best? 
I use the Mont Blanc all the time with my X3 yet I use three of the FiiO bands to hold them together (the middle one placed at the bottom of the screen) or it'll shift around too much. 
Take care.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #11,482 of 17,484
Sir TrollDragon,

Are you using some sort of adhesive back velcro between the X3 and E12? If so, what type/size/item number do you find works best? 
I use the Mont Blanc all the time with my X3 yet I use three of the FiiO bands to hold them together (the middle one placed at the bottom of the screen) or it'll shift around too much. 
Take care.
Hey KLJTech!
I use a product called egrips, made for cell phones so they won't slide, very thin and very sticky but won't leave any marks upon removal.

An electronics store had a clearout of these once so I bought a few packs.

You can still get them on Amazon, I just use the two biggest pieces on the back of the E12.

http://www.amazon.com/egrips-stylish-portable-devices-protects/dp/B000KNYC9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405358225&sr=8-1&keywords=egrips+-+silver

:beerchug:

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #11,483 of 17,484
Hey KLJTech!
I use a product called egrips, made for cell phones so they won't slide, very thin and very sticky but won't leave any marks upon removal.

An electronics store had a clearout of these once so I bought a few packs.

You can still get them on Amazon, I just use the two biggest pieces on the back of the E12.

http://www.amazon.com/egrips-stylish-portable-devices-protects/dp/B000KNYC9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405358225&sr=8-1&keywords=egrips+-+silver

beerchug.gif

Thanks so much! I just placed the order for one and I look forward to trying to out. 
Take care.

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #11,484 of 17,484

Thanks so much! I just placed the order for one and I look forward to trying to out. 
Take care.

You are most welcome!

I also use one of the thin strips on the side, easier to pick up the brick without it slipping. 
wink.gif

These eGrips are black, I have the silver ones as well but I didn't see any on Amazon. You might be able to get a black set from the company site... http://flexinno.com/shop

beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #11,486 of 17,484
That looks good! 
Its shame that they didn't have them in black but the X3 will be covering them so no big deal. These look like they'd be very handy for several applications. I look forward to giving them a try...gotta be an improvement over just using the FiiO bands.  

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #11,487 of 17,484
  If you had to get an amp to connect with the X3 what would it be? What an E11 work well?

I use the E12 with the X3. I have the E6 and E11 as well, but my son has both of those at the moment...not sure I ever tried the E11 with the X3. I do know that the E12 and X3 is a sweet combination. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #11,488 of 17,484
  If you had to get an amp to connect with the X3 what would it be? What an E11 work well?

The X3 has more power and better tone controls than just the E11's bass boost. So I would not make sense to use it as an amplifier with the X3, that is why we all have E12's. 
wink.gif

For most headphones the X3 on low gain has more than enough power.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #11,489 of 17,484
I wouldn't be surprised if alot of us have E12s as well incase we bite the bullet and go to the X5, especially now with the X5/E12 connector kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back