The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #10,936 of 17,481

Where can you get the c3 for $85?

Well there is this really neat place called eBay... :D

Sorry it's $86.99... I just used $85 as a round number.
rolleyes.gif

www.ebay.com/itm/COLORFLY-C3-4GB-24bit-WAV-APE-FLAC-MP3-HiFi-Music-Player-/151298722513

Since this hasn't been closed yet it might still be for sale at $80
http://www.head-fi.org/t/721263/colorfly-c3-barely-used

The power of Google is AMAZING!
tongue_smile.gif

In my case, where can you get and audition the C3 in Singapore? :p

Sorry don't live in Singapore can't help but I imagine anyone on the SG forums could tell you.

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #10,938 of 17,481
  Well there is this really neat place called eBay... :D

Sorry it's $86.99... I just used $85 as a round number.
rolleyes.gif

www.ebay.com/itm/COLORFLY-C3-4GB-24bit-WAV-APE-FLAC-MP3-HiFi-Music-Player-/151298722513

Since this hasn't been closed yet it might still be for sale at $80
http://www.head-fi.org/t/721263/colorfly-c3-barely-used

The power of Google is AMAZING!
tongue_smile.gif

Sorry don't live in Singapore can't help but I imagine anyone on the SG forums could tell you.

Actually that eBay idea may work, but I prefer local retailers 
dt880smile.png

Jaben at adelphi probably carries it

Ah ok, I go try there, but I don't recall seeing them having it though (maybe I got too focused on the DXes)

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #10,941 of 17,481

Finally found the time to upgrade to the 3.0 firmware and I can't say I hear the same as you. I upgraded from an older version (2.05), but I don't think anything has changed about L/R and center imaging. Also A/Bed the same tracks with two of my other DAPs and the spatial presentation seems the same on all three devices.

On a completely different note, the new mp3 decoder sounds nothing short of fantastic and I have to give great credit to James, Joe and the development team at Fiio for going that extra mile. While the old decoder was pretty much the worst I ever came across (sorry for being that blunt), the new one sounds extremely clean to a point where I'm unable to discern a difference between high bitrate mp3s and WAV. I'd say it's at least at eye level with Neutron Player, the best I've heard so far, if not better. So kudos to Fiio for rising up from bottom-place right to the top as far as mp3 playback is concerned.

Also, big thanks to Mr Trev and to nmatheis for their awesome list based theme, I feel like having upgraded my X3 to a 200% better DAP at no cost at all.
smile_phones.gif

This last week I've been listening to nothing but my old lossy stuff, and I agree, MP3s and AAC have never sounded better.*  Contemplating converting all of my 96/24 and 44.1/16 vinyl rips to 320 AAC VBR and just listening to that for awhile.

*Nope, Lossy on my Pantech Burst + PowerAmp + iGrado is still the best.

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #10,942 of 17,481
This last week I've been listening to nothing but my old lossy stuff, and I agree, MP3s and AAC have never sounded better.  Contemplating converting all of my 96/24 and 44.1/16 vinyl rips to 320 AAC VBR and just listening to that for awhile.

That's going to be my approach: lossy on X3, lossless on X5 and DX90.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #10,944 of 17,481
Yes there is, as far as I know.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #10,946 of 17,481
Hi everybody, I have used X3 for months and I like it as a potable player. However, I have no idea how's the quality the X3 as DAC compared to desktop DACs. I am currently using X3 line out > Asgard 2 > HE400. I wonder if it's necessary to buy a DAC for about $200 just for better sound. Would that be a big difference? Thanks!

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #10,948 of 17,481
Why on the X3's FW 3.0,  playing music by category->artist/album doesn't work as it should be?!  Why is it that when I select my preferred artist, it jumps to that artist's folder instead of starts playing all the songs of the selected artist
confused_face(1).gif
(it seems Fiio cannot write a simple/sensible UI that just works)

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #10,949 of 17,481
Why on the X3's FW 3.0,  playing music by category->artist/album doesn't work as it should be?!  Why is it that when I select my preferred artist, it jumps to that artist's folder instead of starts playing all the songs of the selected artist:confused_face(1): (it seems Fiio cannot write a simple/sensible UI that just works)

I'm sorry, but to me that makes no sense. I generally think about who I want to listen to, then pick from that. At least that is how my brain categorizes music. The current setup seems logical to me.

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #10,950 of 17,481
Why on the X3's FW 3.0,  playing music by category->artist/album doesn't work as it should be?!  Why is it that when I select my preferred artist, it jumps to that artist's folder instead of starts playing all the songs of the selected artist:confused_face(1): (it seems Fiio cannot write a simple/sensible UI that just works)

I'm not going to go in to too many details but Fiio just released FW 2.02 BETA for the X5 which addresses this issue and it works very well in my opinion. Given that the X3 and X5 share much of the same FW I imagine it'll make it's way over to the X3 soon enough.

I have to point out that for a new entrant to the DAP market (yes, two years in is relatively new) that Fiio has done an admirable job of producing a low cost, powerful, great sounding player for the masses, and they are constantly addressing the concerns of the end user. If the audio quality is not as important to you as the UI then you should look at other players perhaps, or enjoy the SQ and live with the current limitations.

Also, your preference of jumping to all artist songs right away may not be someone else's who would prefer to play individual albums by that artist, can't please everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back