The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #10,220 of 17,484
  Li-Po batteries aren't meant to last more than 3 years.
what does this say about the Fiio X3?

Hmm....Haven't thought of that before... I guess I'll get whatever is new on the market, replace the battery or switch to the iBasso.

But interesting note: even Astell & Kern uses Li-Po battery

May 15, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #10,221 of 17,484
  Li-Po batteries aren't meant to last more than 3 years.
what does this say about the Fiio X3?

It say what it say about any ipod available or any other mp3 player ! 
my 10 years old ipod video 5th still serves me well 
wink.gif

May 16, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #10,222 of 17,484
I have had my X3 for about 6 months now.  I have been very patient and reasonable with FiiO regarding the X3's buggy firmwares, but that last drop of patience has finally evaporated after months after months of delays, time after time.

Jan...mid Jan....Feb...mid Feb....Mar....mid Mar.....Apr....Mid Apr....May.....Mid May.....2014....2015.....2016...

There is (are) beta releases now.  It's vastly (supposedly) improved, but you know what?.....  I don't see any improvements...  I am still using the firmware from 5 months ago.  At the end of the day, beta is just that...beta and please don't rationalize the bugs and delays (small firm, not enough resources, bla bla bla...).

I probably going to get hammered by the fan boys, but the truth needs to be told and so be it.

May 16, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #10,225 of 17,484
  I have had my X3 for about 6 months now.  I have been very patient and reasonable with FiiO regarding the X3's buggy firmwares, but that last drop of patience has finally evaporated after months after months of delays, time after time.

Jan...mid Jan....Feb...mid Feb....Mar....mid Mar.....Apr....Mid Apr....May.....Mid May.....2014....2015.....2016...

There is (are) beta releases now.  It's vastly (supposedly) improved, but you know what?.....  I don't see any improvements...  I am still using the firmware from 5 months ago.  At the end of the day, beta is just that...beta and please don't rationalize the bugs and delays (small firm, not enough resources, bla bla bla...).

I probably going to get hammered by the fan boys, but the truth needs to be told and so be it.

While I do agree with you, I am just happy that fiio actually still cares about us X3 owners. 
rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #10,226 of 17,484

Your right. Some on this forum thru lack of experience or just not knowing any better are putting up with issues that they should not be experiencing period. When i first received my X3 and was having issues many here were throwing blame my way as the operator and not the device,  many were having the same issues as i but thought the issues were normal, once again lack of HiFi equipment experience. Knowing better i contacted Fiio and tried to work thru the issues and they finally gave up and sent me a new X3. While the new unit resolved most of the issues some remained and i was told that new firmware in the future would resolve the remaining issues, well that was in Dec. of 2013.

My X3 works well enough to get by but not as advertised or the way we are led to believe. Those who accept less hopefully you do so because you know no better otherwise your allowing companies to flood the market with a product that  was not ready. Keep buying and we will continue to see such products, set your standards higher and we will see a better product.

May 16, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #10,227 of 17,484
2.14b firmware is a beta and has too many problems, the most annoying being related to sound settings and sound quality which is worse than in 2.1. Amping is poorer, even on high gain, max volume has to modded, the 5 band eq is useless and further decreases volume when activated. Plus in DAC mode gain and balance were removed and setting bass and treble is reversed, pressing up button decreases, down increases level. The only plus i found is that UI and various operations are faster. Just mentioned all this so they can be checked by people testing new firmware.
i will switch back to 2.1 stable version and wait until 2.18 will be released. 

May 16, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #10,228 of 17,484
I really don't understand why people are talking about BETA firmware on here.
Don't you have the beta forum or bugreport site?

Regarding bugfixes: yes of course there are bugs that shouldn't be, and contact with FiiO is quite terrible at times, but you can't possibly tell me that you think the firmware hasn't become better in the last 6 months. Don't expect miracles.

Here's the thing: if you're used to apple devices, you should know that there's a legion of people working on the software. Which is possible, because you pay approximately THRICE as much for a device than the sum of it's components.furthermore they have at least 8 years of experience with iOS, and many more with other firmware/software.

If you're used to android, and you don't have a flagship device, you're lucky if you ever receive a bugfix/OS update.

Windows phone took a year before there even was a form of notifications. BSOD's happen too much still, even with a big number of core devs working on the OS.

Astel&kern: you're on your own pretty quick.

Philips: you're on your own.

Considering all of this, i'd say they're trying better than half the popular companies, with, undoubtably, a way smaller budget.

In the past 8 months this player gained DAC functionality, received i believe 6 or 7 firmware updates, and eventually a whole newly coded firmware.

May 16, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #10,229 of 17,484
yeah, you're right, but this still is an X3 dedicated topic and people from Fiio are following it so i'm not off topic. you cannot tell people what to talk about and what not if it's X3 related.
Bugs should be pointed anyway so next stable version will meet expectations.

May 16, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #10,230 of 17,484
yeah, you're right, but this still is an X3 dedicated topic and people from Fiio are following it so i'm not off topic. you cannot tell people what to talk about and what not if it's X3 related.
Bugs should be pointed anyway so next stable version will meet expectations.

I don't mean to dictate what you should and shouldn't do, but keeping final releases and beta releases separated seems easier, as this thread moves quite fast already, i doubt the guys at FiiO even see it all.

Maybe a new thread for beta only firmware might be an idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back