The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #9,661 of 17,484
There's an albums by artist feature coming in the firmware to be released this month. FW2.14beta has it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/9360#post_10488632

Two known bugs of the 2.14beta:
-Max volume is low (volume had been remapped into 120 steps, but only the first 60 steps are available)
-the menu items for "idle power off" and "sleep" have been mixed up, so you need to set "idle poweroff" to "off" to prevent the player from shutting down (sleeping) in the middle of playing a song.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/9405#post_10489378
This user-made mod addresses the volume issue.

Thanks for the reply, Joe.  I have read back about thirty pages in this thread, so I was aware of some of these fixes, though I was a bit confused.  I thought that the current FW would look like the pictures posted earlier by JamesFiio, but I gather that's the yet-to-release version.

Having read many reviews and watched videos, as well as searching for FW version change listings, I was aware of all the issues I'm having, and bought the player to evaluate whether they made the X3 too tough to live with (I like the DX50, but doubt its 3+ ohm output impedance would suit my 10-ohm Dunu DN-1000s.)  If it is, I may return it and wait to move up to an X5 or DX90, if iBasso isn't misstating its OI, as they seem to have with the DX50.  Either way, I'm glad the new FW will be out soon!

BTW, the current volume is already WAY more than I need with IEMs. : )

May 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #9,662 of 17,484
can u please include me to beta test the firmware, I am really hopeful and appreciative if I can try it 

May 1, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #9,666 of 17,484
Just trying the 2.14Beta. I think the volume mod is necessary to evaluate as it's too quiet without.

It definitely sound clearer to me with a more realistic timbre. Cymbals shimmer and there's quite a bit more detail. The bass is drier and less tubby. I quite liked it before but this is likely better long term.

I'm using my B&W P5's and the detail is really remarkable! I'll try AKG 450's on the tube tomorrow and then my full rig in the evening (VTL tube amps and KEF Reference 3.2's).

I'm really rather impressed.

Oh I've chosen Orange!

May 1, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #9,667 of 17,484
  I think the X3 with beta firmware is a bit more detailed than the E07.  Don't know about using the E17.  Of course the E07 needs another unit to hold the audio files,and can't handle 24/192 files.

The E07K can handle 24/96 though 
wink_face.gif

I agree, The detail is definitely is better on the X3 w/ the beta FW.  It sound a bit brighter then what it used to, not as warm and dark; but it still retain the bass respond.

May 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #9,668 of 17,484
  I played around a bit with the beta firmware. There have been some nice tweaks to the UI, but the orange theme was kind of ugly - the black theme was fine. Of course, the volume issue was a no-go (I listen to just FLAC) - had to pretty much max it out whereas before I could play it around 26-28 at low gain and it was fine. Didn't feel like messing around with the tweaked beta someone put up so went back to the current firmware.

I am wondering though why still no support for playlists? This seems like such a basic feature of any DAP - of course iPods have playlists, and even my Sansa Clip Zip had playlist support. I like making multiple playlists and having them available. At work it is easier to select a playlist then having to constantly mess with the player. The Favorites on the X3 is kind of a pain to add anything to. Playlist support would really be nice.

Does anybody else here wish that the X3 had playlist support? 

Yes, quite a few! There are already 2 bug reports in the bugzilla system concerning playlist support. The first one (#46) requests basis .m3u file support while the second one (#47 I submitted) asks for an ability to create and edit playlists on the go (which get saved as .m3u). You could place some votes for those bugs if you like
smily_headphones1.gif

I might add that perhaps Fiio should consider adding the ability to read ex-FAT and pehaps NTFS to the machine.  They would not necessarily have to be able to format cards to these formats, but at least read them.

Maybe you should open a bug report in the bugzilla system concerning exFAT support!

Does anyone follow bugzilla? JoeBloggs, are you? Or will there be another kind of bug tracking for the beta?

A lot of people seem to be. And Joe still seems to administrate it actively. For example you can submit bugs for the newest beta firmware 2.16 (which obviously would only make sense if you got access to that version, i.e. be in the beta programme)
wink.gif

May 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #9,669 of 17,484
Great to hear that this thing already sounds better than e07k, won't need to carry it around then. Unfortunately, this thing is really god awful looking, I much prefer the look of the x1 or the x5

May 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #9,670 of 17,484
X3 feature request:
You know what I've wanted since my "iPod days" is for the display to light up for one or two seconds each time a new song begins to play.  It gets irritating (particularly when driving) to reach over and push a button just to see which song just started.  I could have the display on all the time, I know, but I really don't want or need that.

FiiO could call it, um, AnnounceLight or something.

Thank you, FiiO.  Love my X3.

May 2, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #9,671 of 17,484
My local headphone store has struggled to get in the fiio x5 or any of the ibasso players.  In that time I have been swayed by the positive comments that people have made on this thread.  I think I am going to get an x3, what with the new firmware coming out soon, that apparently changes the player in a very good way - sound and functionality.  I think maybe the diminishing returns with getting an x5 or dx90 have diminished even further what with the updates that this player has got.  At the moment I have a few daps but apart from my clip+, none on them have really blown my hair back.  Hopefully the power and expandability of this player will do just that!  Thanks for all the info, guys.

May 2, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #9,673 of 17,484
  X3 feature request:
You know what I've wanted since my "iPod days" is for the display to light up for one or two seconds each time a new song begins to play.  It gets irritating (particularly when driving) to reach over and push a button just to see which song just started.  I could have the display on all the time, I know, but I really don't want or need that.

FiiO could call it, um, AnnounceLight or something.

Thank you, FiiO.  Love my X3.

This is totally worthless IMO. Most people know their music or if you are interested in certain track you can just check it... This will drawn the battery down. I even believe that adjusting the volume should not light up the display! :)

May 2, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #9,674 of 17,484
This is totally worthless IMO. Most people know their music or if you are interested in certain track you can just check it... This will drawn the battery down. I even believe that adjusting the volume should not light up the display! :)

Agree that merely changing the volume should activate the display.

May 2, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #9,675 of 17,484
Actually, with all that talk about new FWs for both X3 and X5, combined with the much lower price of X3 (170SGD v.s. 470SGD) AND the fact that I want to retire my Clip Zip ASAP...

I am very tempted to pull the trigger on the X3 :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back