The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 21, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #9,316 of 17,484
Ye so have installed it before, but I uninstalled it once I stumbled upon your method of installing. I left the extracted folder where all the files and .exe for the X3 in my downloads folder though.

I think that's why, but i will test this later when i get home (with my X5)

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #9,317 of 17,484
Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered a million times, but can SD cards be swapped on the go? Is it as easy as popping in the SD card and updating the library? How long would this take?

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #9,321 of 17,484

If it's that easy, I wonder why people are so into the idea of 128GB SD cards. Two 64GB are 25% cheaper, give or take.

Because using two cards is a pain?

I'd rather spend the extra money for a 128gb card so I don't have to keep taking it out to get to another section of my music library.
Then I'll have to carry around a small case for the other 64gb card, which makes it less than optimal for being portable.

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #9,322 of 17,484
  Because using two cards is a pain?

I'd rather spend the extra money for a 128gb card so I don't have to keep taking it out to get to another section of my music library.
Then I'll have to carry around a small case for the other 64gb card, which makes it less than optimal for being portable.

If it's that easy, I wonder why people are so into the idea of 128GB SD cards. Two 64GB are 25% cheaper, give or take.

Ya, I agree.  When you have a somewhat large library of FLAC files like I do, you would be having to spread your library out in 4+ cards.  If there is more space like 128GB cards, instead of 4 (for example), you will be just down to 2; where it is perfect for the X5. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #9,324 of 17,484
  My solution is just to view this as a portable device, and keep in mind that 64 gig of music is more than I can listen to in a day

Alright but what if you are someone who has every artist alphabetically listed?

So I listen to let's say Alice Cooper, but then I want to follow it up with The Rolling Stones....either switch a card or just get a bigger one.

I guess the whole multiple cards could work if you organize your cards by musical moods.

Especially with the X3 though, you have to organize everything nicely in files, the category mode isn't very good if you have more than one album by an artist.

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #9,325 of 17,484

So I listen to let's say Alice Cooper, but then I want to follow it up with The Rolling Stones....either switch a card or just get a bigger one.

I guess the whole multiple cards could work if you organize your cards by musical moods.

Especially with the X3 though, you have to organize everything nicely in files, the category mode isn't very good if you have more than one album by an artist.

Well, I would do what I've done for years with ipods and such.  Tell myself I have this much room to work with, and fill it accordingly.  So if I wanted to listen to The Rolling Stones after Alice Cooper, I'd just go to The Rolling Stones and listen to 'em.

Apr 21, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #9,326 of 17,484

First, this is a nice problem to have (a lot of memory versus a whole lot of memory). Flash is great, and it's amazing to see capacity reaching into HD territory. I think I'd go with a "first-string" and "second-string" card approach. I'd put the heavier rotation stuff on one card and the only occasionally on another. Granted, having two cards does create the dilemma you describe.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #9,327 of 17,484
having more music than can fit on a single card was for me one of the main reasons for going with the X5 (i'm now at 85GB)

You could get a TF to SD adapter and get a full size SD card, these are quite cheaper than their micro counterparts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back