The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #8,341 of 17,484
Could someone explain me why the "high gain" (+6db) setting should sound better? As so many people report this, I assume it's not due to subjective favoritism of the increased volume...

Or in other words: What's the difference between setting the X3 to low gain (+0db) and the volume to a pleasant value and setting the X3 to high gain (+6db) and lower the volume accordingly so that the output is at the same loudness level in the end?

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #8,342 of 17,484
It is a shame about the R3's design. The memory wire is plain awkward to use and the housing isn't the prettiest.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #8,343 of 17,484
  Those who never tried out the free R3 with the X3 really missed out. On high gain, with treble +2 and bass -2, they sound sublime. It's a real shame that the design damned them to be the ugly duckling in the Brainwavz line-up.

Yeah the stupid design just gets in the way of me even opening the box lol

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #8,345 of 17,484
  The wire may be annoying, but the actual fit in the ear is very comfortable.

Ah cool, so I might just open them and keep them to myself instead of selling.

I was gonna get the Pistons from the cash that I would get for the R3's.

Btw, anyone that is using High Gain... have you noticed that the battery is draining faster?

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #8,346 of 17,484
Ah cool, so I might just open them and keep them to myself instead of selling.

I was gonna get the Pistons from the cash that I would get for the R3's.

Btw, anyone that is using High Gain... have you noticed that the battery is draining faster?

Yes do experience the same issue as you. The battery seems to be draining faster and unit is hotter with high gain.

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #8,347 of 17,484
Yes do experience the same issue as you. The battery seems to be draining faster and unit is hotter with high gain.

Yeah, which I guess is pretty normal.

Especially considering the amp is working overtime lol

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #8,350 of 17,484
This

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-8-8-SD-Aluminum-Memory-MicroSD-Card-Holder-Case-/181027348632?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a26122098

fits in a Nintendo DS hard case with X3, card reader and cables, which fits in headphone carry case with phones.
Sure beats carrying 3000 albums around
happy_face1.gif

Ah, technology.
And he shall have music wherever he goes.

(BTW, I don't actually have 3000 albums... )

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #8,352 of 17,484
  Could someone explain me why the "high gain" (+6db) setting should sound better? As so many people report this, I assume it's not due to subjective favoritism of the increased volume...

Or in other words: What's the difference between setting the X3 to low gain (+0db) and the volume to a pleasant value and setting the X3 to high gain (+6db) and lower the volume accordingly so that the output is at the same loudness level in the end?

When I compare gain I will lower the volume for high gain to adjust the same level.
Yesterday after read your post, I compare again. Result is the same, I hear the better image, details, and separation on instrument with high gain.

Sorry that I cannot answer your question, I really don't know why I feel it sound better 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #8,354 of 17,484
  Any plans for a firmware update to fix the sluggishness of track navigation? Skipping between tracks is really slow and innacurate. Sometimes you press and it doesn't respond and then your press again and it skips too tracks. Also, occasionally it shows one track and plays another. This is all in browser mode. Also, play all is impossibly slow. I never use it to randomly play all my tracks because of how slow it is. 

Anybody else getting frustrated by the track skipping glitchiness? Is this a function of a slow processor; is it something firmware can correct?

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #8,355 of 17,484
I know that considering the price, this is a good DAP, but I've been reading some negative feedback about it. Is it worth it? Or some of the negative feedback is more subjective than objective(not a bad thing, everyone has their own preferences).

In conclusion, as a starting gear I should say, considering I'm switching from an iPhone is the best for the job? Are there other starter products you recommend?

Kind regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back