The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 29, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #8,311 of 17,484
Hi guys.
I'm interested in buying this, since my iphone looses battery too fast and also this has a bigger memory.
I own a pair of harman kardon NC. Considering it's a portable 3 in 1 source/dac/amp, do I need something better, like adding another amp to it?

Also, so i don't start another thread, I've found a promo package consisting of HD650 and Burson HA-160 amp for 795 €(in my country, I know compared to USA is expensive).
Another one is HD800 and Burson Conductor for 2300€, but that's for another day, year, 5 years.

Cheers.

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #8,312 of 17,484
Hi guys.
I'm interested in buying this, since my iphone looses battery too fast and also this has a bigger memory.
I own a pair of harman kardon NC. Considering it's a portable 3 in 1 source/dac/amp, do I need something better, like adding another amp to it?

Also, so i don't start another thread, I've found a promo package consisting of HD650 and Burson HA-160 amp for 795 €(in my country, I know compared to USA is expensive).
Another one is HD800 and Burson Conductor for 2300€, but that's for another day, year, 5 years.

Cheers.

Do you need another amp?  No.
Could you benefit from another amp... depending on the sound you want and the headphones you're driving, maybe.

Honestly, though, this X3 is a great budget package. For the price, the sound and build quality is amazing.  The firmware is rough around the edges but James & Co have promised to work on it and it has improved considerably since launch. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #8,313 of 17,484
Thanks. Well I guess I'll buy it and see how it works and then decide if I need another amp.
Anyone used it as a source and DAC for a dedicated stereo amp at home?

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #8,314 of 17,484
I have few complaints about the firmware. One thing that would be nice, though far from essential, is the possibility of toggling between the play screen and the tracklist. Or is it already possible and I've overlooked it?

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #8,315 of 17,484
Hi guys.

Cheers.

Lol on the irony, X3 looses battery pretty fast too. :)

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #8,316 of 17,484
  I have few complaints about the firmware. One thing that would be nice, though far from essential, is the possibility of toggling between the play screen and the tracklist. Or is it already possible and I've overlooked it?

Hitting the back button once should send you back to show you the sequence of files that will be played, depending on if you are doing via browsing or categories.  Beyond that though, I don't know of any other way.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #8,317 of 17,484
Lol on the irony, X3 looses battery pretty fast too.
smily_headphones1.gif

But you don't rely on it for communications, do you?

I use mine as USB DAC amp at work daily and that keeps well enough charged for other uses (don't  have enough time left over from work to flatten it), I have a battery pack in case I need to have days of listening away from other power (as if)

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #8,318 of 17,484
Well 5-6 hours of play should suffice I believe. I usually listen that much to headphones when I'm on the train and anyway after 3 hours my ears start to bleed(kinda 51% literally) because I've yet to find a headphone that won't crush my ears... I'll test the Audez'e soon and if they won't satisfy me, I quit or switch to In Ear(which I dislike -.-).

What do you guys think about the HD650 + Amp?

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #8,319 of 17,484

Hitting the back button once should send you back to show you the sequence of files that will be played, depending on if you are doing via browsing or categories. 

It doesn't do that anymore once it's been off and turned back on. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #8,320 of 17,484
What do you guys think about the HD650 + Amp?
I had the LCD-3's and the Conductor SL for 3 weeks, the LCD's were amazing but I wasn't overly impressed with the Burson.

You would probably get a better answer about the 160 in any of the Burson threads.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #8,321 of 17,484
hey guys just bought my fiio X3 about one week ago, pretty new to this whole portable audio thing but im a bit of a hi-fi guy (as in full sized pre amps, power amps, DAC and all that)

the X3:

great sound, great build quality, came with FW2.1 pre-installed, im using sandisk extreme 64GB micro sd card

almost every day the fiio crash on me once, most of the time when playing a song and then pressing next to the next song, the X3 would freeze and after about a minute or so it shuts itself down

i have to hold down the on button for 10 seconds and then turn it back on and then it will go to normal

this would happen every few days - it is not that serious but it DOES bother me - do i have a faulty unit or is this just the way they are? DO you guys experience crashes this often? a little bit disappointed actually 

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #8,322 of 17,484
  hey guys just bought my fiio X3 about one week ago, pretty new to this whole portable audio thing but im a bit of a hi-fi guy (as in full sized pre amps, power amps, DAC and all that)

the X3:

great sound, great build quality, came with FW2.1 pre-installed, im using sandisk extreme 64GB micro sd card

almost every day the fiio crash on me once, most of the time when playing a song and then pressing next to the next song, the X3 would freeze and after about a minute or so it shuts itself down

i have to hold down the on button for 10 seconds and then turn it back on and then it will go to normal

this would happen every few days - it is not that serious but it DOES bother me - do i have a faulty unit or is this just the way they are? DO you guys experience crashes this often? a little bit disappointed actually 

1-try to make the folder & files names- if too long -shorter
2-make the number of folders in folder less
3-make proper taging for your library 
4- after those update your library again

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #8,323 of 17,484
Is there any general consensus on the sound of the X3.

As I find it to be on the warmer side of sound. As is the general consensus from reviews.

Yet a user is avidly defending that based on specs the X3 is totally neutral and transparent.

I am happy to accept peoples views, but those that go purely by specs I cannot understand.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #8,324 of 17,484
I find the X3 on the warm side as well, it is not neutral by any means. The Colorfly C3 is the most neutral of the DAP's I own or have heard.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #8,325 of 17,484

the X3:

One trigger of crashes for me was pushing any buttons just as a song ended. I've been avoiding that, and I haven't had crashes since!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back