The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 28, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #8,296 of 17,484
But I can't pay more than $300 and the combo is $400 
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #8,297 of 17,484
One programme you can try is mp3tag. You can open up your entire library by selecting the parent folder (in Windows). This allows you to see how files are tagged by column, you can then sort by specific columns to see what information is missing (ie blank entries) this helps in making sure you have tagged everything as intended.

Worth a try?

How are they supposed to be tagged? What info should be there? Names? Tags? Folders?

Jan 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #8,298 of 17,484
Ju
How are they supposed to be tagged? What info should be there? Names? Tags? Folders?

Just make sure the basics are there such as artist, title, album etc.

You can also insert album art, try keeping to around 500x500.

Keep it simple and consistent across different albums/folders of music.

One thing I done for the X3 was to tidy up the actual filenames of my music because this is what the X3 actually displays when playing a song, eg. 1 - abcde

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #8,300 of 17,484
Is there any way to just get firmware update notifications without having to keep up on this high traffic thread?

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #8,301 of 17,484
Ju
Just make sure the basics are there such as artist, title, album etc.

You can also insert album art, try keeping to around 500x500.

Keep it simple and consistent across different albums/folders of music.

One thing I done for the X3 was to tidy up the actual filenames of my music because this is what the X3 actually displays when playing a song, eg. 1 - abcde

Any benefit of having a consistent folder structure and fixing that with mp3 tagger at the same time? If so, how? Artist then another folder with Album?

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #8,302 of 17,484
Any benefit of having a consistent folder structure and fixing that with mp3 tagger at the same time? If so, how? Artist then another folder with Album?

Yes, most people structure their songs that way: \Artist\Album\Songs. It makes it easier to browse and find an specific song you want.

Fixing the tags help for displaying info on the screen (be it of a DAP or of your computer) or searching by the categories the X3 allows, such as Genre, Artists, Albums, etc.

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #8,303 of 17,484

My folders are arranged as follows:

One folder per full flac album
One folder for various flac singles
One folder for various mp3 singles

This setup works well for me.

I dont think you can create/arrange folders from within mp3tag though, just something you have to do in windows.

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #8,304 of 17,484
 Yes, most people structure their songs that way: \Artist\Album\Songs. It makes it easier to browse and find an specific song you want.

Fixing the tags help for displaying info on the screen (be it of a DAP or of your computer) or searching by the categories the X3 allows, such as Genre, Artists, Albums, etc.

I'll ensure that I have my folders in order :)

My folders are arranged as follows:

One folder per full flac album
One folder for various flac singles
One folder for various mp3 singles

This setup works well for me.

I dont think you can create/arrange folders from within mp3tag though, just something you have to do in windows.

But it seems can (I haven't tried it just yet) according to this quote and video:

Yes, perhaps :xf_eek: Getting files to be recognized properly is a high priority for firmware updates, and hierachical tag sorting medium priority...
when the engineers come back to work in February :xf_eek:
We're looking at March for an X3 update.

If all your files can be read by mp3tag you can use this handy method of naming and sorting your files so that Browse Files on the X3 can work effectively as Genre->Artist->Album sorting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqsI3sWsSM4&feature=youtu.be

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #8,305 of 17,484
You should probably ask that question in one of the headphone threads... So not to turn this X3 discussion thread into a "What headphones is good for me?" OT thread...

Sorry that was not my intention. the question its more like: will the x3 could drive those high ohm headphones (Q701 i think its 62 ohm and dt990 its 250 ohm) or stay with the low 32 ohm line of headphones.

Im not clear about the specs of fiio its said 16mV @300ohm does that mean i would be hable to drive a 250 ohm, its that right?

akg q701 not very good with the x3 alone ...requires amp with it to sound good .... yes it will be loud ,,,very loud but not good from my personal experience ....i guess sony and ath-ad900 would be fine.
for me .... i don't like using a full can with a portable player alone even the x3 

Q701 I read a review that said it needed high gain setting on x3. I was thinking to use them at the pc and the x3 as a dac.

Quote:
  Add $50 to your budget and get the SoundMAGIC HP200, or you can get the German Maestro GMP 400 for around your budget

thanks for your comments i'll check on them.

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #8,306 of 17,484
  Im not clear about the specs of fiio its said 16mV @300ohm does that mean i would be able to drive a 250 ohm, its that right?

Q701 I read a review that said it needed high gain setting on x3. I was thinking to use them at the pc and the x3 as a dac.

I use my X3 as PC USB DAC with Q701, HD650, Momentum and T50rp(modded of course), all fine with plenty of power left for me on low gain.
The X3 driving my bass mod Q701 is the most acceptable that I've heard these phones.
YMMV

P.S. It's not "16mV @300ohm" it's mW, (30mW @300Ω where I've read it, that's 3000mV( or 3Volts if you prefer) plenty for what you want)

Jan 28, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #8,308 of 17,484

Sorry that was not my intention. the question its more like: will the x3 could drive those high ohm headphones (Q701 i think its 62 ohm and dt990 its 250 ohm) or stay with the low 32 ohm line of headphones.

I listen to my DT880/250 at 1/3 volume level on high, and 1/2 volume level on low gain. So the X3 has plenty of power to drive those. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #8,309 of 17,484
LameXP front-end.

Thanks - ill check it out. I was using mediamonkey - but noticed a couple of "rolled R's" which sounded like a subtle kind of jitter to me. Need to check original files..

I use dBpoweramp......

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Worth every penny.
:beerchug:

Same as above - don't mind paying for good tools.

Yes, perhaps :xf_eek: Getting files to be recognized properly is a high priority..........

Thanks for the link. I am organised into Artist>album>track, but might change that for Genre>artist>album>track. I'll see how it all goes.
I am making sure they work as expected in another player so hopefully as the firmware increments it will play nicely on the x3. All my files play, so Its not that bad in truth. I am very happy sonically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back