The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #7,336 of 17,484
I am a huge fan of Vsonic, there are some VSD1s that sound really good, if you can go little higher like 179.00 dollars the GR07 BEs are my go to, all time favorite IEMs and I've listened to a lot of different kinds. :)

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #7,337 of 17,484
Thanks! I've been looking into getting a pair of Mad Dogs, so I wanted to see how that pairing would go. I'm in the process of making a Millett Starving Student amp, so I'll hopefully have a decent home and/or office setup!

As for the XC's, I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't benefit significantly from an amp, even with their better efficiency... but we'll see! And, yeah, wow, 3 watts should do nicely!

The more I think about it I may use the LCD-XC for work only. They isolate well enough for work but I suspect not well enough for the plane. And carrying around a $1800 headphone would make me a tad nervous and the hard case to properly protect them is too bulky. At any rate I will post observations with the X3 with and without E12.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #7,338 of 17,484
I am a huge fan of Vsonic, there are some VSD1s that sound really good, if you can go little higher like 179.00 dollars the GR07 BEs are my go to, all time favorite IEMs and I've listened to a lot of different kinds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Read bout the 07's that's what got the vsd1's on my radar. 180 is a bit more than I'm looking to spend on a secondary pair of phones. Round 50-100 seems bout right for now. What I want is something good, that I won't care too much about if they end up getting frozen while I'm out slogging through the snow (and it is b-stard cold here now
frown.gif
). The other problem is that the selection of phones here in Canada leaves a bit to be desired (haven't even found a domestic Vsonic dealer).

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #7,339 of 17,484
Read bout the 07's that's what got the vsd1's on my radar. 180 is a bit more than I'm looking to spend on a secondary pair of phones. Round 50-100 seems bout right for now. What I want is something good, that I won't care too much about if they end up getting frozen while I'm out slogging through the snow (and it is b-stard cold here now:frowning2: ). The other problem is that the selection of phones here in Canada leaves a bit to be desired (haven't even found a domestic Vsonic dealer).

Get the vsonic VSD1 if you want bass or the VSD1s for more neutral sig. For 50 bucks you can't go wrong.I live in Minnesota so I to know what cold is as well. I use my shire se215 when using the snowblower.

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #7,340 of 17,484
I think I solved my issue with the library update freezing. It looks like there were some specific files causing the problem. What those files were I have no idea since I've been slowly adding a couple gb here and there before updating until I reached the limit of the card and all seems to work again :) I couldn't add in some of my artists because it was freezing so it must be something in those specific folders but nothing to worry about now since all is good.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #7,341 of 17,484
That is good news, I am glad you got around it.
I have been using portables with hard drives for many years now. I learned long ago how to properly rip, tag, store and backup my music files. So when I get a new one I am pretty certain my data is up to task. I also have a history of making backups for each device. So I have both a 64GB and 128GB backup for my X3. a 160GB backup for my iPods, an 80GB backup for my Rockboxed iPod and so on. (and many 2TB backups of all my music). This way if I have a problem with a device I don't care if I have to wipe it and start over, the backups are there waiting. I think some people get their music from 1000 different sources. Some of it is tagged proper, some of it is plain garbage. Then when they get a portable player they think hey cool, I'll dump my whole collection of WHATEVER on my new device. Ooops. It could work. Truth be told though, the amount of time I spend working on my music collection most would find excessive. It's good to be retired and able to spend all the time on it I wish.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #7,342 of 17,484
  I think I solved my issue with the library update freezing. It looks like there were some specific files causing the problem. What those files were I have no idea since I've been slowly adding a couple gb here and there before updating until I reached the limit of the card and all seems to work again :) I couldn't add in some of my artists because it was freezing so it must be something in those specific folders but nothing to worry about now since all is good.

Just a guess, but you may have some files with excessively long names or names using special characters that aren't in your default character set for your language. That's usually the cause when I have a cataloging problem on my main computer.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #7,343 of 17,484
Read bout the 07's that's what got the vsd1's on my radar. 180 is a bit more than I'm looking to spend on a secondary pair of phones. Round 50-100 seems bout right for now. What I want is something good, that I won't care too much about if they end up getting frozen while I'm out slogging through the snow (and it is b-stard cold here now:frowning2: ). The other problem is that the selection of phones here in Canada leaves a bit to be desired (haven't even found a domestic Vsonic dealer).

I own the Vsonic VSD1 and GR07be. I'd suggest you not getting the VSD1 to go with the X3. Both of them have warm sound signature. Personally I don't like the VSD1, but LOVE the GR07be. You can get the GR07 classic ($110), which rumored to be same as the GR07 MKII at penonaudio. Or get the GR07be ($130) at lendmeurears

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #7,344 of 17,484
Just a guess, but you may have some files with excessively long names or names using special characters that aren't in your default character set for your language. That's usually the cause when I have a cataloging problem on my main computer.

I've had some long file names go through just fine so probably not it. I think I have some if those thumbs.db files in there that might be the issue.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #7,346 of 17,484
Hi Everyone,
First thanks for all the posts - I've read all 490 pages of them and they've helped immensely in managing this finicky device, which I utterly adore, but which as in any obsessive, unhealthy love affair drives me crazy and doesn't seem to love me back nearly as much.
tongue.gif

Here are my questions, and some comments on the freezing issue.

1. I have two 64G cards, both of which are fully updated in the library. Do I have to update the library every time I switch them? Are there any known issues with swapping out cards frequently? If so, should I just bag the library/categories altogether and play only through the browse function?

2. The x3 appears not to support custom genres -- on my device they appear in the categories as "unknow [sic] genre" Has anyone else experienced or noticed this?

3. On the freezing issue: in post #6995 r33tom wrote that "one of the following or a combination of the things below has fixed my problem:

disable gapless playback
disable album covers - changed to display lyrics
deleted the .db and .journal file and re-scanned the sd card."

My two cents: I think the issue is connected to the gapless playback for me because running FW2.1 and listening to gapless (both FLAC and AAC) I would get freezes intermittently but with accelerating frequency until the player could not finish a song without freezing. The freeze always occurs as one track ends and moves to the next.

I backed down to FW1.31 on the advice of a helpful poster above, and have had no problems - except that gapless under that version doesn't really work (perhaps corroborating the theory in a back-handed way?). I can live with this over freezing, but since 90% of my collection is live music or electronic, a solid gapless function would be really nice.

Is it possible that the gapless issues and problems with large libraries (as well as people who have noticed freezing while navigating through their music during playback) have to do with memory or processing power, since to my admittedly noobish and perhaps quite incorrect understanding, each of these things requires more on-th-fly processing than simply playing back a file without taxing the device's ability to multi-task?

Thanks so much gang for all the enlightening posts - and great to hear that James is on the mend and cancer-free!

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #7,348 of 17,484
I own the Vsonic VSD1 and GR07be. I'd suggest you not getting the VSD1 to go with the X3. Both of them have warm sound signature. Personally I don't like the VSD1, but LOVE the GR07be. You can get the GR07 classic ($110), which rumored to be same as the GR07 MKII at penonaudio. Or get the GR07be ($130) at lendmeurears

Thanks for the advise. Right now I'm waiting for the release of the vsd3 (supposedly Jan. 1) to see what the impressions are before I make any decisions.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #7,349 of 17,484
To clarify, I'd like to be able to access an artist's particular album through the "artist" category, and it would also be helpful if there were default settings for that. I'm loving this thing more every day though!

That's sounds like it could be an issue with your tags

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #7,350 of 17,484
After much reading still cant decide which way to go X3,E18 or even wait X5... Would like to have dap but not sure about UI. I have all my flac collection properly tagged with embeded cover arts and have huge ~1000 songs compilation with replay gain track gain and title tag (Artist - song name). On my samsung galaxy S3 with poweramp everything works fine, but not sure about X3. Also im using Westone 4r iems. I could use velcro stickers with E18 and S3 (but still it will weight much and takes much space in pocket) or buy X3, i would prefer dap but like i said not sure if my compilation works fine with replaygain, title tags and cover art and UI willbe good for me... Anyone could suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back