The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #7,321 of 17,484
  How did you get yours to work?  I'm having the same problem with mine.  I'm using a 64gb sandisk that I think is formatted to FAT32, but I'm not sure.  Still can't get it to recognize the disc.  Any ideas?

maybe the card is duplicate??

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #7,322 of 17,484
  Welp it appears that however the X3 does its library building can't support large numbers of files added at the same time... it simply hangs for a long time, says it finished updating, and then adds nothing at all.  I've been slowly adding music in increments of 500 or so and it seems to be doing alright now...

That has not been my experience. I loaded a 128GB SDHC card with 4497 FLAC files. I plugged that into an adapter that plugs into the X3 and started it up. I used the manual library update function and it took less than five minutes to read the whole card. I will say that all my files are tagged properly and the directory structure doesn't go too deep. Initially I used a 64GB card and didn't have problems then either. The X3 works swell for me with 4497 files. I have erased the library files once and done a reload of the library without issues. What kind of files are you dealing with?

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #7,323 of 17,484
I'm a bit confused about the way the X3 handles user-created folders, based on reviews and the manual. I don't own one, but would like to. Does choosing a folder to play (such as a particular artist), play all files in all folders within that folder (such as that artist's various albums)? Also, does the shuffle setting apply to whatever level of the folder-nest that you've marked to play? Like if I select to play a 'Metal' genre folder that I create, will it randomly play all songs within all the artist and album folders within it?

Sorry if this is duplicated somewhere else, but it seems from some reviews I've read that it makes sense to bypass the X3's automatic folder handling and set up your own. At least for me, because on my iPod I almost always go by the arrangement of genre > artist > album. Does this seem like the right way to approach the X3's folder handling in this case?

One more thing, I listen to mp3's, not lossless. So will filling a 64GB card with mp3's be a problem, since it will be a lot more files than if there were lossless files in there, too? I've read in some places that the X3 has issues when there are lots and lots of files.

Thanks.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #7,324 of 17,484
Ok I've been having some issues when I'm on the update lib section of the dap. It scans for a bit and then freezes but only when the sd card is plugged in. Without the card it is fine and I;ve tried both manual and auto and it both functions the same way. The songs play when I search by file location but I can't get it to play all since the library isn't being updated.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #7,325 of 17,484
  That has not been my experience. I loaded a 128GB SDHC card with 4497 FLAC files. I plugged that into an adapter that plugs into the X3 and started it up. I used the manual library update function and it took less than five minutes to read the whole card. I will say that all my files are tagged properly and the directory structure doesn't go too deep. Initially I used a 64GB card and didn't have problems then either. The X3 works swell for me with 4497 files. I have erased the library files once and done a reload of the library without issues. What kind of files are you dealing with?

I have definitely had problems with large numbers of files being adding in one go. I got around the problems by doing a few thousand at a time. I had about 8,000 tracks at the time I did this and the limit seemed to be around 5,000 so you may just be "sneaking in under the barrier". My tracks are nearly all relatively high quality (110) TVBR AAC files but I don't think it is the file type causing the problem - just the number of updates in one go. My suspicion is that the updates aren't committed frequently enough and the X3 runs out of memory.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #7,328 of 17,484
Hello-

I'm new to this forum and have questions about the X3, which I received for Christmas. I'm mostly happy with this device but have a few complaints:
1. The UI is awkward and confusing. It isn't possible to scroll to an artist's individual albums from the menu. All the artist's tracks are together, making finding what you want to play a laborious process.
2. The scrolling function is painfully slow.
Will there be future firmware updates to remedy these issues? The X3 is impressive on most fronts, but it's a pain in the neck to use.
Thanks in advance!

Kirsten

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #7,329 of 17,484
Hello-

I'm new to this forum and have questions about the X3, which I received for Christmas. I'm mostly happy with this device but have a few complaints:
1. The UI is awkward and confusing. It isn't possible to scroll to an artist's individual albums from the menu. All the artist's tracks are together, making finding what you want to play a laborious process.
2. The scrolling function is painfully slow.
Will there be future firmware updates to remedy these issues? The X3 is impressive on most fronts, but it's a pain in the neck to use.
Thanks in advance!

Kirsten

If you go to category you will see album,genre, artist. There will be future updates as Fiio is always trying to make this better. I'm not sure if this answers your question. When I use the X3 I randomly play all every time. Have fun with it as it does sound really good. What kind of headphones are you using with it?

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #7,330 of 17,484
Howdy, Howdy-

I am using Audio Technica ATH-M50's. I wanted to avoid an Apple device because I loathe the software, and wanted really good sound. These headphones seemed to fit the bill for me as well: affordable and high-quality. (No way would I purchase "Beats"!) I don't have much technical expertise, but have a really discernible ear.

Now I'm sort of wishing I'd waited for the X5, which I understand has a completely different UI. Incidentally, I had a Zune that worked well for almost 8 years, and really liked its functionality, but the FiiO is superior in every other way.

Thanks for your reply!

CalliopeK

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #7,331 of 17,484
Howdy, Howdy-

I am using Audio Technica ATH-M50's. I wanted to avoid an Apple device because I loathe the software, and wanted really good sound. These headphones seemed to fit the bill for me as well: affordable and high-quality. (No way would I purchase "Beats"!) I don't have much technical expertise, but have a really discernible ear.

Now I'm sort of wishing I'd waited for the X5, which I understand has a completely different UI. Incidentally, I had a Zune that worked well for almost 8 years, and really liked its functionality, but the FiiO is superior in every other way.

Thanks for your reply!

CalliopeK

I have the ATH-M50s as well, I'm more of a IEM kind of guy though. So did that answer your question? I had a Zune 120 also and it died, it sounded really good which is why I decided to go for the X3 than the DX50. Just a warning as it looks like you are new hear, this can be very addictive and worse really expensive hobby! Just when you think you got the best rig something comes out that you have or at least try.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #7,334 of 17,484
Anybody using the Vsonic VSD1? I'm thinking bout getting a new pair of phones. My PFE111s work great and all, but I'd like to get a decent but cheapish pair of dynamics too (I got a pair of Skullcandy Titans, but the less said the better). I was thinking of waiting till the VSD3/5 get released cause I do like the "over the ear" fit better, but if the 1's sound good they're also a consideration.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back