The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 11, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #7,037 of 17,484
I know the bits about formatting are annoying, but again I true formatting my 64gb card with the X3, then put 19gb of MP3s on it and half dissapear.

It still doesn't work for me so I give up with that card. It will have to stay in my phone :frowning2:

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #7,038 of 17,484
So I finally took the plunge and went with the X3. I've been impressed with other FiiO products which provide outstanding value for money. Of course, 24 hours later I find out that the X5 is on it's way (palms face most vigorously). Oh well maybe next year. I have to say I didn't have any problems with my music - at least not so far. Simply dragged my FLAC'ed CD's onto a 64GB SD card I had scavenged from my old Samsung Galaxy (had to reformat it) and then stuck this in the X3. My only issue is some times it's a tad bit slow on start-up and starting to play tracks, but the sound is great! With my crappy iPhone earphones (I don't like walking about with giant cans on my head) it was pretty good. With my Grado SR80's it was sublime. Let my Mum listen to some Motzart on the X3 with the Grado's - she wept! Good job FiiO!

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #7,040 of 17,484
It's been a week now since I got my X3 to hold 128GB and every time a song comes on that wasn't there in 64GB times it made me smile. I really love my X3 a lot. I can't wait for it to hold 256GB. (wait, what will I format that with?) (kidding)

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #7,042 of 17,484
It's been a week now since I got my X3 to hold 128GB and every time a song comes on that wasn't there in 64GB times it made me smile. I really love my X3 a lot. I can't wait for it to hold 256GB. (wait, what will I format that with?) (kidding)

How the scan time on the 128gb card? I know filling my 64gb with flac files was fairly quick, just curious to see how long it takes with a bigger card. I'm kinda torn between going this route or waiting to see if Fiio still plans to add OTG support in the near future. Found some good deals on 128gb usb thumb drives (cheaper than SD even). Then again 128gb SD + 128gb OTG......
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #7,043 of 17,484
Howdy, I am using an inexpensive Micro SD to SD adapter and a 128GB SDXC card. One of these guys:
http://dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001

Mr Trev, I didn't really pay attention to how long the scan time took with either the 64GB card or the 128. In both cases I started the process and walked away. It didn't take too long in either case. I have noticed that start up time takes longer now that it's 128. I suppose loading the song list / data file takes twice as long. I typically do Play all randomly and that first list of songs takes a while to appear and then playing the first song seems to take awhile. But after that it's all click click click. I have used the browser after all that stuff happens and it's fast as it used to be. It's just start up that seems slow. I also have mine setup to return to the last song played and that happens pretty quick. It's only when for whatever reason i have to select Play all at start up that the lag bothers me. But it's so worth it to have this nice little player with 128GB on it. I didn't know what OTG was until you two mentioned it. i just looked it up and I don't want to know anymore. :wink:

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #7,044 of 17,484
Howdy, I am using an inexpensive Micro SD to SD adapter and a 128GB SDXC card. One of these guys:
http://dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001

Mr Trev, I didn't really pay attention to how long the scan time took with either the 64GB card or the 128. In both cases I started the process and walked away. It didn't take too long in either case. I have noticed that start up time takes longer now that it's 128. I suppose loading the song list / data file takes twice as long. I typically do Play all randomly and that first list of songs takes a while to appear and then playing the first song seems to take awhile. But after that it's all click click click. I have used the browser after all that stuff happens and it's fast as it used to be. It's just start up that seems slow. I also have mine setup to return to the last song played and that happens pretty quick. It's only when for whatever reason i have to select Play all at start up that the lag bothers me. But it's so worth it to have this nice little player with 128GB on it. I didn't know what OTG was until you two mentioned it. i just looked it up and I don't want to know anymore.
wink.gif

Ultimately I'd like to be able to hook a powered HD to my X3. All my music lives on an external already, so it'd be nice to have access to all my tunes when listening at home, and maybe switch to a thumb drive when I'm out and about. The DX50 has OTG support, and it seems to be kinda hit and miss with powered drives (fine with thumb drives). Hopefully Fiio can implement it better (if it's still being considered). That and m3u support are pretty much the only things left that I'd like to see added, but I expect Fiio will be more focused on fixing the remaining bugs/optimizing the UI right now - rightly so.
Cheers.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #7,045 of 17,484
Does the X3 still have the issue with 64gb cards? I don't really want to buy a new card only to find out it doesn't work properly. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #7,046 of 17,484
  Does the X3 still have the issue with 64gb cards? I don't really want to buy a new card only to find out it doesn't work properly. 

It seems some people have had problems, but I haven't had any with mine. I got a kingston and it works fine. I think I've read the new firmware is supposed to fix some problems others have had.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #7,048 of 17,484
  I'm having an issue with my X3...It keeps disconnecting with my PC. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Only when I'm using the silicone case with a standard micro USB connectors. I have a couple of cables where the connector extends further out of the shroud at the X3 end and they stay connected without problems, or I can use a standard micro USB cable if I take the silicone case off. The case seems to be just thick enough to prevent a good solid connection.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #7,049 of 17,484
  Only when I'm using the silicone case with a standard micro USB connectors. I have a couple of cables where the connector extends further out of the shroud at the X3 end and they stay connected without problems, or I can use a standard micro USB cable if I take the silicone case off. The case seems to be just thick enough to prevent a good solid connection.

I just tested it on my other PC's, it looks like it only doesn't want to work on my laptop.  Gonna see if there's a workaround, I really wanted to use it as a DAC.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #7,050 of 17,484

Yes, I occasionally have this issue.  If I move the x3 even a little, while connected, it often disconnects, with or without the silicone case.  I have tried different cables, some have longer plugs than others.  FiiO chose the wrong ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back