The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #7,066 of 17,484
  How do you change the theme of the X3 to someone else's modified theme??

All you have to do is download their .fw file, copy to your X3, and do a firmware update. All the modified themes really are is just new gfx (made one myself, pretty easy). Usually people use theme 1 as their modifed version, and the rest are stock.
Hope this helps.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #7,067 of 17,484
  All you have to do is download their .fw file, copy to your X3, and do a firmware update. All the modified themes really are is just new gfx (made one myself, pretty easy). Usually people use theme 1 as their modifed version, and the rest are stock.
Hope this helps.

Thanks.  Helps me, as I'm about to experiment with themes :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #7,068 of 17,484
Can someone explain in English why I am not seeing most of my music listed in the "albums" category. The albums are there, but when I open them there is nothing. The music is there under "artist" or "play all".  If there is a link you can steer me towards that would be good.

I'm waring now that any response that is too technical will go right over my head. It has to be "click on ____' then "Click on ____" for me to understand. I'm thinking a website with explanations might be best.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #7,072 of 17,484
Hello Head-Fi,

This is my 1st post so I'm hoping for a helpful response to my somewhat "noobish" question.

First off, I am using Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros, 80 Ohm.

I recently purchased a new phone, the Huawei Ascend P6, and was planning on using it as my primary source seeing as it can play FLAC. However it turns out that the output of the phone is awful, and the battery life isn't great either.

So in an effort to resolve the poor phones issues I purchased a FiiO E17 DAC/AMP. Unfortunatley even with the E17's gain, EQ and volume set to max I still have to have the phone set to max volume to get a decent level from the DT770s. Even with everything set to max it's still not loud enough for me, I think this explains just how bad the phones output is.

I was also planning on using the E17 with my laptop via Optical SPDIF but I read some reviews saying that asynched USB to optical is better for various reasons, reduced jittering, better clocks etc. This lead me to discover another issue with the E17, it's lack of any asynched DAC function.

So now that I have found the problems with my set up I need to find the solution, and after doing some research I have decided to go down the road of a standalone DAP, and I am swaying towards the X3. The asynched DAC functionality, SQ, battery performance and price are very enticing. Plus it will match my E17 and look good when they are strapped together.

Now where I get confused is with the digital inputs/outputs and amp functions of the X3. Here is what I am really wondering:

1. Does the X3 need an amp, will the E17 I already have help boost the X3's output or prolong it's battery life?

2. The X3 has the same DAC as the E17, so if I plug the X3 into the E17 via a FiiO L12S optical cable will the DACs conflict?

3. The X3 is asynchronus whereas the E17 is not so if I run a set up like this will it work? 

Laptop into X3 via asynched USB - X3 into E17 via L12S - E17 into DT770s via 3.5 jack

Now I don't know much about this stuff, but I have really tried hard to understand what I am buying. I have researched for hours on end and read countless forums. My knowledge has increased greatly over the past few weeks but I really need some professional help.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my dilemma, I look forward to your replies.

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #7,073 of 17,484
The Fiio X3 alone is enough, you would not need to use the E17 even though you could without conflict. You also cannot use an optical cable on the X3, it uses coaxial digital. You have to use a coaxial cable to connect the E17 to the X3. Again there should not be a significant benefit from connecting the X3 to the E17 because the X3 is already a complete package with its own capable AMP section. I hope this answers your question.

I have to say I don't really known much of the E17 so I would not really know if the DAC section there would be better or different than the X3 to actually be of use to the X3, but all I know is that the X3 is good enough alone.

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #7,074 of 17,484
Thank you. Luckily I can return the E17 no questions asked, so I have contacted the seller to arrange a refund.

I will get the X3 in it's place and grab a 64GB micro SD to go with it. I'm sure it will outperform my phone and give my laptop a kick up the audio ass too!

Nice one :wink: +1rep

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #7,078 of 17,484
  Can someone explain in English why I am not seeing most of my music listed in the "albums" category. The albums are there, but when I open them there is nothing. The music is there under "artist" or "play all".  If there is a link you can steer me towards that would be good.

I'm waring now that any response that is too technical will go right over my head. It has to be "click on ____' then "Click on ____" for me to understand. I'm thinking a website with explanations might be best.

Update library in the system settings? Yes I have.

Even the pre loaded music isn't showing up in the album menu. The albums are there just no music when you open them.

And there are some "artists" that when clicked on show nothing. But if you go to browse files, they are there.

Anyone?

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #7,080 of 17,484
I may be going crazy; but has anybody else strapped a FiiO E11 to the line out and checked the difference?  To my untrained ear, after matching their volumes as closely as possible, it seems having the lower powered E11 in the chain sounds better...almost like the soundstage is wider and bass a bit tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back