The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #6,841 of 17,484
The X3's come with screen protectors already applied (PERFECTLY) !  That is just AWESOME !   It would be a PITA trying to apply one yourself perfectly, without bust, bubbles, perfectly align etc,,  Other companies should follow FiiO's footstep.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #6,842 of 17,484
Okay, I've almost figured it out. The issue seems to be connected with my onboard LAN connection (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller). If I keep my Ethernet cable disconnected, I have no issues on LatencyMon. I need to try putting my computer under load while offline to see if it's purely a network card issue. What's confusing me is that ataport.sys is what's popping up on LatencyMon as having high DPC and ISR execution time.

I eventually managed to update all of my chipset drivers through the long and drawn-out method of right-clicking and selecting each device in device manager. I had to open up the chipset driver .exe file with WinRAR to extract the files. I also found a newer driver for my network card. While going through this process has helped me optimize my system, it hasn't completely solved the problem.

I may end up having to buy a separate network card...which is kinda dumb, but whatever.

Edit: I lied. Apparently the network card is only one of the things that was contributing to high latency time. I ran 3dmark and also ran into the same issue. I'm stumped at this point. Maybe my computer is getting old. It's only 4 years old and runs everything else fine, though...

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #6,843 of 17,484
That's strange.
Out of curiosity I've tried to run the X3 in DAC mode on my old Laptop - Pentium M 1,4 GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP., Foobar, ASIO.
And it was running flawlessly a whole 192/24 album
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #6,844 of 17,484
  That's strange.
Out of curiosity I've tried to run the X3 in DAC mode on my old Laptop - Pentium M 1,4 GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP., Foobar, ASIO.
And it was running flawlessly a whole 192/24 album
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not that the computer is old. There's just something inherently wrong with the chipset drivers or something. I disconnected the X3 from the computer and ran 3dmark again. I'm getting latency issues still. In fact, they're even starting to show up on DPC Latency Checker whereas they didn't before. I'm starting to wonder if there's an issue with my video card since the computer has my TV set to default audio (connected through HDMI). I wouldn't be surprised considering how clunky ATI drivers can be. -_o

I'm going to try using the X3 as a DAC on my laptop (which is rather new) and see how it goes.

Edit: Bob Saget. I'm also getting latency issues on my laptop. It's not from the ataport.sys, though. It even shows latency without the DAC connnected. Then again, it may be that I don't have power settings optimized on there. Either way, I don't really care as I only use that laptop for doing school stuff. I just have bad luck with computers. I think the only solution at this point is to get a new motherboard (and processor as a result). 

Nov 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #6,846 of 17,484
   REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.
NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.
Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe
Total number of hard pagefaults                       18475
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          9329
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          9205242.099970
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.734981
Number of processes hit:                              19

Hi there,

I'm not particularly active on the forum, but I own an X3, and I also happen to work for a major enterprise storage corporation in Silicon Valley. If I were a betting man, this section above is your issue. Hard Page faults are when Windows effectively runs out of RAM and is forced to use virtual-memory (HDD or SSD) as extended memory. During that process, latency goes from nano-seconds to milliseconds - several orders of magnitude. In this example above, you hit 9.2Million microseconds of latency on a page fault. That is 9 "Seconds" of disk-grinding.

I don't know what audio player application you are using, but if you are opting to play the file from RAM, my concern would be that as the system has to page out to disk, your latency could be coming from page-faulting out to your drives. You may want to try looking at how memory-hungry your applications are, and how much free RAM you have. These days, 6GB isn't a whole lot... I also noticed that svchost was working pretty hard; I would also look at what background processes are constantly running, and potentially causing page-faults. Lastly, you may want to try a different audio player application and see if any of them give better or worse results - depending on how memory-hungry they are, your results could vary quite greatly.

Best of luck,
~Bob

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #6,847 of 17,484
Just have to share- just bought a brand new X3 on amazon for $88! Of course i have to mention that i use a $50 discount i got for applying for an amazon credit card, but I would say that second to my SPEAKERLAB SUPER 7'S I got from the DI for $30 in excellent condition, this is my score of the year :)

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #6,848 of 17,484
After several months of ownership, I finally had my first freeze 
biggrin.gif
. I swapped cards, did an update, selected a track to play and it completely froze. No music, buttons wouldn't respond, but the screen did shut off at my preset time. A press of the reset button and all was good to go again.
Seriously tho...I've been really happy with the X3 UI quirks notwithstanding. The warm sound sig hasn't been nearly as big of an issue that I thought it might (using audeo pfe111s & grado125s). The only thing is my battery life doesn't seem to be as good as others claim. Any suggestions for doing a battery benchmark other than just playing tracks and timing how long it takes to die. I know the battery indicator isn't supposed to be all that accurate, but it seems like once it gets down to around half it quickly goes dead (even LO seems to kill the batt fairly quick).
Looking forward to future improvements,
Cheers.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #6,849 of 17,484
  I don't use the Categories, because they have nothing in them ("Playback Failed | File Not Found") -- how does one get them populated? (I play only apple lossless m4a files.)
And how do you add albums to Favorites, or does that work only with individual songs?

Never mind re Categories, figured that out.
Any way to add albums to favorites?

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #6,851 of 17,484
  After several months of ownership, I finally had my first freeze 
biggrin.gif
. I swapped cards, did an update, selected a track to play and it completely froze. No music, buttons wouldn't respond, but the screen did shut off at my preset time. A press of the reset button and all was good to go again.
Seriously tho...I've been really happy with the X3 UI quirks notwithstanding. The warm sound sig hasn't been nearly as big of an issue that I thought it might (using audeo pfe111s & grado125s). The only thing is my battery life doesn't seem to be as good as others claim. Any suggestions for doing a battery benchmark other than just playing tracks and timing how long it takes to die. I know the battery indicator isn't supposed to be all that accurate, but it seems like once it gets down to around half it quickly goes dead (even LO seems to kill the batt fairly quick).
Looking forward to future improvements,
Cheers.

Did you fully charged the battery when you first got the X3?  LiPo batteries need to be fully charged before put into service if you want it to last.

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #6,852 of 17,484

Did you fully charged the battery when you first got the X3?  LiPo batteries need to be fully charged before put into service if you want it to last.

Yup. It got a good 4-5 hrs on my 2 amp charger before I even looked at it. I'll need to try and do a timed benchmark to see how long it actually runs...

Dec 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #6,853 of 17,484
I got 2GB in the internal memory of the X3 rather than 7GB. I have deleted everything and the problem continues. This happened after windows have asked to fix some errors in the disk. 5GB are hidden somewhere, I can't see that file. How do I fix this? Any help would be appreciated. I need that space. I'm running out of space in my 32GB card.

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #6,854 of 17,484
There is so much in this thread on files, formatting, categories, etc, etc, etc..........

Not complaining, I'm just having trouble finding info I'm after. I sure know how to upgrade the firmware, format the SD card and label and organize my library, though.
rolleyes.gif

I'm trying to determine if this is a better match for me than my Sony NW-Z1060

Upgrade or just sideways in terms of SQ?

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #6,855 of 17,484
Ok, so I have been enjoying my Fiio X3 awhile and it's a joy to have it! I have one album though which cannot be played back via this superb lil machine.

I have this album rip in my collection and both my foobar and Jetaudio can flawlessly tackle it, but, alas, my Fiio X3 not:

Tool - Lateralus - 2001 (original cd, HDCD, USA UPC:614223116020), APE (image+.cue), lossless

Anyone else having trouble play HDCD on the Fiio X3?

I'd like to underline that this music player is my favourite and I'd never give it up. This only minor trouble is the only one I could find so far. Any idea how could I get around it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back