The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #11,178 of 17,484
Hello. So has nobody ran into issues with fw 3.0 in which they can't get the DAC portion to work when linked to a pc? I keep plugging mine in and it sort of shows the DAC menu but then it quickly disappears. If I fiddle with the cable it reappears sometimes but always disappears before I can do anything with it. Any help would be awesome.

Jun 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #11,179 of 17,484
Hello. So has nobody ran into issues with fw 3.0 in which they can't get the DAC portion to work when linked to a pc? I keep plugging mine in and it sort of shows the DAC menu but then it quickly disappears. If I fiddle with the cable it reappears sometimes but always disappears before I can do anything with it. Any help would be awesome.

Take a different cable. Sometimes the easiest things work.

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #11,181 of 17,484
I played around with the DAC and it would allow you to increase/decrease volume but it could never get off the one screen and you couldn't access any of the DAC functions.

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #11,182 of 17,484
Most vinyl rips have much better dynamic range than CD recordings and CD remasterings. When ripped right, vinyl rips sound much better than those sourced from CDs.

Would be nice if that´d be actually true. The peaks you can see are mostly caused by phase variances introduced by playback imperfections. And that´s the main point: vinyl playback is always imperfect and never a faithful representation of what´s on the mastertape. One has to accept that it simply isn´t the original but a euphonically colourized version of the original. And if that sounds better to you that´s perfectly ok of course. But to say that 'vinyl sound better' is a flawed generalization IMO.

Oh, I get the X3, and I love it.  I've gotten two samplers from HDtracks, and about 4 regular albums.  That's what I'd go after for current stuff like Beck or Diana Krall.  I'm interested in the Stones ones, the Led Zep ones, the Talking Heads ones.  God, I'd love to see the Beatles on there.
I'm just after a portable recreation of what I hear when I'm lying on the floor with headphones and listening to a vinyl album.  So far, a cassette (made with Pioneer turntable, Marantz amp, Nakamichi tape deck) seems as close as I've gotten to what I'm after.  I'm a grammo-phile, I guess.  I love the span crackle pop.  It's probably a nostalgia thing.
But hey, I'll listen to my tons of MP3s (and uncompressed stuff made from CDs) on the X3.  Love it, especially with FW 3.0.
I have a fair amount of 192/24 and 96/24 vinyl rips, and I won't be getting rid of them.  I may not have tweaked treble/bass/volume on the X3 (not to mention getting ahold of headphones better than my Grado SR 80i) enough to get what I hear on my cassette.  Audio is always a work-in-progress, right?

Well, the Stones, Led Zep or Beatles wouldn´t need HiRes. For them, a low res distribution format would suffice as well since their mastertapes contain material that´s even worse than CD.

On the other hand I loved that you admit your love of analogue sound to be - probably - caused by nostalgia. I love the MiniDisc for example... and it never was perfect. Rationally I can find so many flaws with it... but emotionally I love the soft sound of MiniDisc.

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #11,183 of 17,484
Can we please not call people out because they don't put "to me" or "IMO" at the end of an opinion.  Sound is perceived noise, at least according to the perception classes I've taken.  Any perception is a uniquely colored interpretation of an event/experience.  Because of this, most opinions have an implied "IMO" or "to me" and calling someone out on it just feels condescending to me.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #11,185 of 17,484
I love the sound I hear live, and try to recreate it at home. Now if you go to a live concert it is amplified most of the time, by state of art amps. I hear then transparency, but also musicality and warmth.  The state of art is to hear all the details, without sound not getting thins and cold, but keep a great musicality. I find that back in the fiio x3.  And about colorization, a lot of musicians, especially look for a certain sound, so they are very picky, using guitar amps and so on.

An artist like Neil young always hated cd's. It mostly not reproduced the  soul, atmosphere of the music and I know what he means. Music may not sound to "clean", without life, it must move ur senses. I go further, sometimes colorization and even distortion can give you a better time then hearing everything and a too clean sound. On headphones strangely enough it is powerful and very realistic and musical. As a dac it is a bit analtical and lacks a bit of deep bass, but then it is not aggressive either.  Then your room has to do a lot with it too.  The Fioo should  much less then my accuphase. But as my room boost  the bass and make then the  sound less lively, the Fioo with his transparency, make it sound not bad at all. And it is on headphones the portable player I liked the most.  Buries my old Cowon  D 2. I would like to try the  X, but afraid it will be again too analytic for me, and certainly as a portable player, the X   3 it is all I ask for

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #11,186 of 17,484
  Can we please not call people out because they don't put "to me" or "IMO" at the end of an opinion.  Sound is perceived noise, at least according to the perception classes I've taken.  Any perception is a uniquely colored interpretation of an event/experience.  Because of this, most opinions have an implied "IMO" or "to me" and calling someone out on it just feels condescending to me.

Fair. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #11,187 of 17,484
Speaking of Neil Young, has anyone heard the "A Letter Home" recorded on a 1947 Voice-O-Graph machine... They have the gall to sell a high res version of this which sounds like a Gramophone recording from the turn of the century. :rolleyes:

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #11,188 of 17,484
Speaking of Neil Young, has anyone heard the "A Letter Home" recorded on a 1947 Voice-O-Graph machine... They have the gall to sell a high res version of this which sounds like a Gramophone recording from the turn of the century. :rolleyes:

I've listened to clips on Amazon. I'm a big Neil Young Fan but for the life-of-me I can't come-up with a reason to buy this.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #11,190 of 17,484
The album has some great songs on it but the chosen recording method will turn a lot of people off for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back