The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #9,273 of 17,484
Yes, this is a 2.5" 2TB  9.5mm high only just came out, well I may try a player that does support OTG and then use an external power supply too.

If you were planning on updating the library with the 2TB HDD attached, i don't think the X3 could manage that much data.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #9,274 of 17,484
If you were planning on updating the library with the 2TB HDD attached, i don't think the X3 could manage that much data.

I don't think even the X5 can either; especially if you are talking full 24/196 flac files.  Even if it does, it might take all day.  With the battery life of both X3 and X5 is only roughly 10 hours (theoretically), if you try to attach a HDD to it (HDD or SSD),  you might be left with a 2 hr or less battery life.  Why go though that kind of trouble for a portable player that is meant to be mobile instead of a big honking brick of a thing.  If you carry a X5 + HDD + Enclosure + Battery + if you add an external amp with it + whatever you need to do to connect it all, do you really want a 2.5-3 lb unit in your jacket or pants pocket? 

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #9,275 of 17,484
:) I see your point, however as I will no longer own a laptop or PC soon, personal Choice I would still like to be able to play the thousands of songs I have on this external drive. It seems the only other possibility would be to get a tablet. 
my criteria are it must be light, at-least lighter than a laptop and smaller, and I must be able to play all the music on the hard drive.

Looks like my solution would be tablet or some kind of android device.
Ive actualy had another option which is to create my own player using something like the beaglebone happy days! lol

Thanks for your help :)

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #9,276 of 17,484
  :) I see your point, however as I will no longer own a laptop or PC soon, personal Choice I would still like to be able to play the thousands of songs I have on this external drive. It seems the only other possibility would be to get a tablet. 
my criteria are it must be light, at-least lighter than a laptop and smaller, and I must be able to play all the music on the hard drive.

Looks like my solution would be tablet or some kind of android device.
Ive actualy had another option which is to create my own player using something like the beaglebone happy days! lol

Thanks for your help :)

This might be interesting for you:

http://volumio.org

It's basically all the software you need to convert a beaglebone, raspberry pi, or similar device into an "audiophile" music player (their words). I tried it briefly but not for long enough to really form an opinion, so if you try it, I'd be interested in how you get on.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #9,277 of 17,484
  This might be interesting for you:

http://volumio.org

It's basically all the software you need to convert a beaglebone, raspberry pi, or similar device into an "audiophile" music player (their words). I tried it briefly but not for long enough to really form an opinion, so if you try it, I'd be interested in how you get on.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?104152-Raspberry-Pi-Revison-2-and-the-Wolfson-Audio-Card

Might be of interest, but it could be better for you to create a new thread, perhaps in computer audio as we are now going ot!

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #9,278 of 17,484
Hi guys.  I'm a new member.  I bought a FiiO X3 in February because I was curious about the HD stuff on HD Tracks, but even more curious about doing rips from my vinyl in 96/24.  So that's been great, and I've been listening to those rips with Grado SR 80i.  Tonight I discovered I can record in 192kHz/24bit.
It's a whole new world.
For the past few years I've been listening to cassettes from vinyl recorded with a fair turntable and amp, and a very nice Nakamichi.  I thought that was the be-all end-all.  I did a compare-and-contrast of 96/24 to a cassette, and it was VERY close, but the X3 won.  Vocals, particularly "s" sounds, were much clearer on the X3.  I may like the bass better on cassettes, but maybe I haven't tweaked the bass settings enough on the X3.
I'm guessing 192kHz/24bit will make me put away my cassettes.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #9,279 of 17,484
You might want to give this a read before you chew up all your storage space with 24/192...

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #9,280 of 17,484
Is there a way to phyiscally disable the jack detection? The V-moda M100's have a TRRS cable and the X3 turns off whenever it's loose.

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #9,281 of 17,484
You might want to give this a read before you chew up all your storage space with 24/192...

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I'm familiar with this article but If I'm not mistaken it neglects to mention that optimal sampling rate is around 60khz so while 192khz may be an overkill and a waste of storage space until someone will come out with 60khz sampling audio format when given a choice I will stick to 96khz audio :wink:

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #9,283 of 17,484
I was hoping I'd get to try out the new X3 Firmware, but the X5 is already here and I guess I'll have to sell before I get to try. Bummer.

Same here. From tomorrow on i'll be X3-less, so i won't be able to help people with the new firmware (unless FiiO releases a new version of the firmware virtualisation tool)

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #9,285 of 17,484
I am thinking of modding my x3 amp chip ...but waiting the new firmware first :D
I sent a couple of AD8620 opamps to a Head-Fi'er in the Philippines for his X3. He loves the clarity and detail that the AD8620 provides over stock, on par with the AK100 possibly. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back