The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #9,258 of 17,484
Damn you guys, all this talk made me order the E12 :wink:
Congrats, she's a great little beastie! Get some dual lock to attach it onto the X3. :)
They both fit perfectly into a Pelican 1020 Micro case with a little on the side to stow the interconnect.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #9,260 of 17,484
E12 or E12 DIY? Have fun, whichever you ordered!

E12.

Congrats, she's a great little beastie! Get some dual lock to attach it onto the X3. :)
They both fit perfectly into a Pelican 1020 Micro case with a little on the side to stow the interconnect.

I'm sure it'll be great. Thanks for the tip on the Pelican case, I'll search for it on eBay.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #9,262 of 17,484
As mentioned above a couple times, I use the E12 DIY with my X3 almost every day with my HE-400 and enjoy it immensely. I also own a v1 E12 (lower frequency bass boost
smily_headphones1.gif
) but don't use it so often now that I've got the E12 DIY.

Hi, nmatheis! When you use the E12 DIY with your X3, do you listen at low gain high volume, or high gain lower volume (on the E12 DIY)? Which opamp and buffer do you use most often when listening with the HE-400? Thanks.

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #9,263 of 17,484
Hi, nmatheis! When you use the E12 DIY with your X3, do you listen at low gain high volume, or high gain lower volume (on the E12 DIY)? Which opamp and buffer do you use most often when listening with the HE-400? Thanks.

Hi. I usually leave it on low gain and set the volume to around 1/3 maximum. I listen to a lot of experimental electronic, minimalist classical, and metal. So far, my favorite opamp has been the AD797, but I haven't tried the MUSES01 and MUSES02 I ordered for it yet. I'm betting one of those will be a favorite. I'm cycling through opamps at this point and haven't bothered with changing the buffer yet.

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #9,264 of 17,484
Hi. I usually leave it on low gain and set the volume to around 1/3 maximum. I listen to a lot of experimental electronic, minimalist classical, and metal. So far, my favorite opamp has been the AD797, but I haven't tried the MUSES01 and MUSES02 I ordered for it yet. I'm betting one of those will be a favorite. I'm cycling through opamps at this point and haven't bothered with changing the buffer yet.

what is the buffer you using ?

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #9,266 of 17,484
Thanks alot for your informative replies :) ...waiting your impressions about ifi ican ...because I want an amp in that price range and I don't have the ability to try them before buying and it will be one shot ....... What headphones you are using?? I mainly use se 535 but I am planning to get a full can too

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #9,267 of 17,484
Hi, I was just wondering if I can plug a 2TB portable HDD into this player and expect to be able to play the music, and also if that did not work perhaps I could get a WIFI chassis for the HDD and then access the songs via Wifi with this player, or would I need the X5 for this ?  Thanks

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #9,268 of 17,484
Hi, I was just wondering if I can plug a 2TB portable HDD into this player and expect to be able to play the music, and also if that did not work perhaps I could get a WIFI chassis for the HDD and then access the songs via Wifi with this player, or would I need the X5 for this ?  Thanks

At this point that won't be possible.

I heard that at least for the X5 FiiO is working on OTG playback, maybe for the X3 as well.

What you could try, but is impossible to get your hands on, is a "mobidapter"(small device that converts female USB to male microSD)

Accessing songs via wifi is going to be very difficult, because the X3 would have to see the files, and i'm not sure if your network can provide filenames this quick, let alone somehow stream it to the X3/X5

TL;DR: not possible, in future FW release for X5 OTG possible.

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #9,269 of 17,484

I'm not sure what are you referring when you say plug in a HDD.  Like jerry-rig a MicroSD card?  If you are saying directly plugging in with a USB cable, I would say no.  I think one of the #1 problem you will have first is, how would you power your HDD on the go?  Also, the X3 (and I'm assuming the X5 as well) read media straight from the MicroSD card or act as a DAC to a computer only.  Connecting a HDD will serve no purpose that I can see.  I know there is SD cards that is WiFi accessible but not MicroSD cards as far as I know and also I think that protocol is a 1 way transfer away from the SD card.  Honestly, the X3 and the X5 is meant to be a portable device and a DAC for a computer in a pinch.  I wouldn't hold my breath on having a support for this purpose in the near future for these device.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #9,270 of 17,484

Thanks for you helps, I had a look and found out that the X3 does not support OTG which if it did would enable one to use an external Hard Drive with the X3 and have it read all the songs on it.  As for WIFI yes, I would like a player that can read the songs say from my PC in the player and have it play them over the wireless network.
From what I see the X5 has this OTG support atleast in part

Users who are viewing this thread

Back