The Fiio X3 Thread.
Feb 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #8,491 of 17,484

I'm strongly considering biting on one of the $299 HE-400s. I'd like to wait for the HE-400i, but I think I'd be better off saving some money and going for the HE-400s. How highly would you recommend them paired with the X3?

Or anyone else?

Cheers!

ME TOO .....considering the same headphone ..... but i doubt that x3 alone would drive it sufficiently 
redface.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #8,495 of 17,484
It doesn't sound bad. I'm sure there are much better amp pairings, but the X3 amp is designed for portability, so expecting it to be as good as decent desktop amps is unreasonable.

yes... you are right ...that is what i am talking about .... to get the best drive of it.... it would require something like : O2 or a desktop amp like schiit magni which i don't have a problem with it as HE400 is not meant to be portable 

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #8,496 of 17,484
Of course it would sound better with a nicer amp, but the HE-400 is only rated at 35 ohms. So, I can't imagine the X3 set to high gain being too far out of its league. Does anybody own this combo, and a nicer desktop amp? What "potential" do you think the X3 is capable of driving the HE-400 to? 75%? 80%? It seems like it shouldn't be too underpowered, but I'm still pretty noob about all this stuff.

(I can tell you, however, that the V-Moda M-80 and RE0 both sound incredible with the X3.)

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #8,499 of 17,484
  Of course it would sound better with a nicer amp, but the HE-400 is only rated at 35 ohms. So, I can't imagine the X3 set to high gain being too far out of its league. Does anybody own this combo, and a nicer desktop amp? What "potential" do you think the X3 is capable of driving the HE-400 to? 75%? 80%? It seems like it shouldn't be too underpowered, but I'm still pretty noob about all this stuff.

(I can tell you, however, that the V-Moda M-80 and RE0 both sound incredible with the X3.)

The AD900X, at 38 ohms, is driven (for me) uncomfortably loudly at anything higher than "30".  The ESW9, at 42 ohms, has the same characteristics.  I believe I was the first to mention the X3/E11 pairing, and I can only go up to "3" on that when using the line out before it is too loud if that helps people visualize the spl I am comfortable with.

Yup, looks like it.
deadhorse.gif

X3 doubles as a 192khz/24bit DAC with a PC or Mac (on PC you must install a separate driver).

Also works on recent-ish Linux kernels without drivers.  One thing I did notice is that it doesn't always change the display to reflect the current bit rate/depth if changing the song (i.e. going from a 92/24 flac to a 44.1/16 mp3 may change the display to 44.1/24....or it will just display the last file).  Doesn't affect the sound but one of those little niggles.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #8,500 of 17,484

Also works on recent-ish Linux kernels without drivers.  One thing I did notice is that it doesn't always change the display to reflect the current bit rate/depth if changing the song (i.e. going from a 92/24 flac to a 44.1/16 mp3 may change the display to 44.1/24....or it will just display the last file).  Doesn't affect the sound but one of those little niggles.

That's pretty awesome. Question is, price aside, is the X3 a better option for using as a PMP and using on a desktop/latptop when needed, or getting a E10 and carrying a laptop around.

And even though I say price aside... 
triportsad.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #8,502 of 17,484
Hi there, I'm kind of new at this so please bear with me.  I've the X3 for a while and I mostly uses it w/ my IEMs while I'm on the go.  But recently, due to cold weathers, I starting use my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro to keep my ears warm. =P  My question is, with the Custom One Pro is rated for 16 ohms, will it do any harm to my headphone if I use the high gain setting?

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #8,503 of 17,484
  Hi there, I'm kind of new at this so please bear with me.  I've the X3 for a while and I mostly uses it w/ my IEMs while I'm on the go.  But recently, due to cold weathers, I starting use my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro to keep my ears warm. =P  My question is, with the Custom One Pro is rated for 16 ohms, will it do any harm to my headphone if I use the high gain setting?

no ..... absolutely not ....use it as you want

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #8,504 of 17,484
  That's pretty awesome. Question is, price aside, is the X3 a better option for using as a PMP and using on a desktop/latptop when needed, or getting a E10 and carrying a laptop around.

And even though I say price aside... 
triportsad.gif

I have both and the X3 is the better DAC compared to the E10. Great as a DAP but an even greater DAC.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #8,505 of 17,484
  ... is the X3 a better option for using as a PMP and using on a desktop/latptop when needed, or getting a E10 and carrying a laptop around.

X3, ( haven't used E10 since I got X3, even though it's plugged in and shining it's blue light in case I need to find my desk in the dark).
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back