The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #2,057 of 17,484
Quote:
How did you know? I always use my J3 flat, without any bbe or anything that will alter the sound. I bought it for the battery life, expandable memory and ease of use not for the DSPs. Sad to say, I'm not so happy with its sound. My Nationite N2 even though very small has a huge jump in SQ without any eq on both device. The J3 somewhat lacks dynamics.

How did I know he was talking about using DSP? I read his post here...http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/fiio-x3-thread-full-review-http-www-head-fi-org-t-663600-impression-fiio-x3-high-fi-low-price/2010#post_9551456

Originally Posted by zenki14 

In general Cowon DAPs only shine with their built in tweaks. Use BBE (try up to 4 or 5), EQ and the other effects. They're good when the effects are enabled but if not they sound boring (no offense but they're just made like that).

I would agree with this. The trick is finding that fine line where you have just enough of the effects enabled, without going too far and ending up with a strange and artificial sound. It takes a good bit of trial and error. 
font]

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #2,061 of 17,484
Quote:
I know the fiio x3 can support up to 64gb sd card, what would occur if I were to put in 128gb sd card?

There is no 128gb microsd card, yet. Before they come out, you don't know they will work or not since they can change the technical principles of micro sd cards or they can keep the current way. If they keep the current way I suppose it would work.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #2,062 of 17,484
Quote:
In general Cowon DAPs only shine with their built in tweaks. Use BBE (try up to 4 or 5), EQ and the other effects. They're good when the effects are enabled but if not they sound boring (no offense but they're just made like that).

Even the BBE is only set to 1, I could not tolerate it. I think I'm really a neutral guy. For me there's two kinds of boring stuff, one is the altered sound so it would sound less-boring to many people (like those BBE and other unnecessary massive EQ adjustments), second is the lack of dynamics like the J3 possesses when it is set to flat. I hope the X3 sounds better than my N2.

Hello ClieOS, I remember you have Nationite N2? or Cube C30 maybe? Is there by any chance you can compare it to the X3? The N2 is still my current best portable when it comes to SQ, I wonder how the X3 compares to it. Thank you.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #2,063 of 17,484
Jun 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #2,065 of 17,484
Quote:

Oops, I didn't even noticed that you were referring to simonthepieman's post. lol. Anyway I sure do hope the X3 sounds a whole lot better than the flat J3.

Just out of Interest I also have a J3 (well it's my wife's) the Z2 is better than J3 in my humble opinion. SQ wise.

To reiterate if you just want to plug and play , thus not mess with loads of EQ stuff then the X3 makes sense. I just add a little Bass
for my IEM' and leave it flat for the PX 200's . It really is a lovely sound.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #2,066 of 17,484
Quote:
The J3 size, weight, long battery life, good GUI, drag drop file transfer are all great.  And Cowon DAPs support m3u playlists (what I really want in X3 future firmware updates) so that was excellent for my use too.

The only thing that met nearly all of the above and went over in SQ (in trade for size) for me was the Rockboxed imod line out I use now.

I agree that Cowon's sound average without the tweaks, although the one tweak I absolutely hate is the BBE setting, which I absolutely, totally, refuse to use. I do use some of the other settings, though.

Anyway, I'm optimistic that the X3 / X5 will prove to be a good replacement option for the J3, even without the flashy BBE tweaks (which are expensive to license)

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #2,067 of 17,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even the BBE is only set to 1, I could not tolerate it. I think I'm really a neutral guy. For me there's two kinds of boring stuff, one is the altered sound so it would sound less-boring to many people (like those BBE and other unnecessary massive EQ adjustments), second is the lack of dynamics like the J3 possesses when it is set to flat. I hope the X3 sounds better than my N2.

If you don't even want to use BBE, I think there's no point using a J3 or any other Cowons.  Like I said, that's how they're made.  They need their built in tweaks, and without them, they just go less dynamic.  I don't know if you tried but, any iPod or iPhone (with no EQ) headphone out will still sound energetic compared to a Cowon DAP set to totally flat.

I don't know why they done it this way, but "flat" on Cowon DAPs are not the "flat" on any other DAP.  It's just less and less treble, bass and punch.  Like simonthepieman says I think you should try the X3 if you don't want to mess with EQ.  Personally I'd even recommend any Rockbox compatible iPod and use line out to an amp.  That way you can still use all files and drag & drop (not to mention m3u lists and gapless).  When I was a Cowon user I had to use BBE and EQ, but now nothing is needed and sounds way beyond just the headphone out of J3.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #2,068 of 17,484
Quote:

not, it is warm but not hot depended on our test and the feedback of more than 1,000 users in China. and now it is the hottest weather in China now. 

I'm more interested in X5 than X3.

James, can you confirm if X5 will have alloy casing?  I recall you saying it will have your best build quality - does that mean alloy casing..?

Thanks for continuing to engage with us here on Head-fi, I really appreciate it.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #2,069 of 17,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree that Cowon's sound average without the tweaks, although the one tweak I absolutely hate is the BBE setting, which I absolutely, totally, refuse to use. I do use some of the other settings, though.

Anyway, I'm optimistic that the X3 / X5 will prove to be a good replacement option for the J3, even without the flashy BBE tweaks (which are expensive to license)

Like I mentioned above, I find no BBE on Cowon's pretty much defeats the point using them.  0 is like the sound back in the 80's from cassette tapes and $5 earphones or AM radio.  Atleast 1-4 is what I recommend, but if it's disliked, then I don't see a point using Cowon's.

Jun 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #2,070 of 17,484
Quote:

I'm more interested in X5 than X3.

James, can you confirm if X5 will have alloy casing?  I recall you saying it will have your best build quality - does that mean alloy casing..?

Thanks for continuing to engage with us here on Head-fi, I really appreciate it.

I also don't know the case type of X5 but he mentioned it will be their top of the line product so I am not worried and like you I am waiting for X5 too. 1 little hint mate, we try to keep X5 questions and discussions in its own thread 
wink.gif
 I am not trying to be problem guy in here, in fact whenever I see your posts I am thinking this guy is one of the greatest ones in here but let's try to keep threads clean in their own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back