The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 24, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #17,176 of 17,484
So I've been lurking on this site for ages (I bought my AKG K81DJs because of the forums, loved them, and now 3 friends own a pair too!), finally decided to join the discussion! I bought a FiiO X3 today, just waiting for delivery now! I got a great deal, I had intended to go for the X1 but found a little shop online whose owner was selling the X3 after getting two for Christmas. I got the whole thing with 64gb sd card for £15 less than what I was going to pay for the X1 without sd card, so I'm really pleased.

I've got my AKGs and some Sennheisers (px100), would you recommend any other sets? I'm so excited to get my X3, I've started archiving all my music in FLAC format. Previously I used a Sony mp3 player which I will admit I'm sentimentally attached to, sadly it's only 16gb though and I have to delete files if I want to add new music.

I'm so pleased to finally join your community and look forward to hanging out on this thread learning all about my lovely new X3.

I use the AKG K550s on the bus with my X3 everywhere I go. Yes, they are huge and not that portable but they sound really good with my X3. If you are getting the X3 though, you really may as well get some better headphones so you can appriciate what it can deliver. With cheaper headphones, you often can't tell much difference between what you are driving them with. The X3's bass boost goes so well with the K550s when needed. When you are in a quiet room, it isn't needed. But I find that when on a bus, the sounds and vibrations around me make the bass far less audible as well as making a difference to how much you feel it. The X3's range from -10 to +10 bass boost is really useful at times like that. If you are after incredible soundstage for a closed back headphone but not that bothered about a heavy bass impact, the K550s pair really well with the X3.

With your headphones, it is pretty unlikely you would be able to tell the difference between CD quality flacs and 320kbps Mp3s. I can hear the slightest bit of difference as the K550s are quite easy to tell how good the quality of the format is but pretty much every CD I own has been put on as Mp3s at 320kbps purely because they take up less than half of the space of flacs. I'm also not as convinced as some others seem to be that 24bit flacs are a massive amount better still. I could hardly tell any difference between them and CD quality even when using my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s which are open back and even better at picking up every bit of detail. IMO, unless you can clearly hear a big difference and you can afford the space the files take up, that is the only time they are really worth having. I have getting on for 6000 tracks taking up just over 64gb. Almost all of them are 320kbps Mp3s. If I had them all as 16bit flacs, then my card would be full and I would only be able to tell the slightest difference with the quality of the sound.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #17,177 of 17,484

I use the AKG K550s on the bus with my X3 everywhere I go. Yes, they are huge and not that portable but they sound really good with my X3. If you are getting the X3 though, you really may as well get some better headphones so you can appriciate what it can deliver. With cheaper headphones, you often can't tell much difference between what you are driving them with. The X3's bass boost goes so well with the K550s when needed. When you are in a quiet room, it isn't needed. But I find that when on a bus, the sounds and vibrations around me make the bass far less audible as well as making a difference to how much you feel it. The X3's range from -10 to +10 bass boost is really useful at times like that. If you are after incredible soundstage for a closed back headphone but not that bothered about a heavy bass impact, the K550s pair really well with the X3.

With your headphones, it is pretty unlikely you would be able to tell the difference between CD quality flacs and 320kbps Mp3s. I can hear the slightest bit of difference as the K550s are quite easy to tell how good the quality of the format is but pretty much every CD I own has been put on as Mp3s at 320kbps purely because they take up less than half of the space of flacs. I'm also not as convinced as some others seem to be that 24bit flacs are a massive amount better still. I could hardly tell any difference between them and CD quality even when using my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s which are open back and even better at picking up every bit of detail. IMO, unless you can clearly hear a big difference and you can afford the space the files take up, that is the only time they are really worth having. I have getting on for 6000 tracks taking up just over 64gb. Almost all of them are 320kbps Mp3s. If I had them all as 16bit flacs, then my card would be full and I would only be able to tell the slightest difference with the quality of the sound.

Agree about the use of 320cbr MP3 with the X3, or most DAPs for that matter if using them in a portable fashion out doors.  The only reason to use FLAC would be if listening at home in a quite room with better gear where the X3 is only used as the transport and connected by the coax to a good DAC and amp.  But even this might not be noticeable to many, for the few times I tried with my friends to see if they could hear the difference most couldn't tell the difference and the ones that can are into high end audio gear.  With 24bit FLAC if the master that they were derived from was of high quality then it will be noticeable over an 320cbr MP3 but again only with better headphones, DAC and amp in the audio chain.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #17,178 of 17,484
Thanks for both your comments, I certainly feel that a headphone upgrade is going to be in order. I've tried various 'phones over the years on both portable and home hi-fi equipment and I have to say I really do like the AKG sound. I used to be wedded to Sennheisers, especially on my home kit, but I found that the build quality wasn't holding up as well as I'd hoped. I'll look into the AKGs you've suggested as I really would like to make the most of the X3, plus I've started archiving as FLAC (a lot of the Live Chili Peppers stuff is only available from the website as bog standard lossy mp3 or FLAC, and once I'd started using the format I thought I might as well continue).

Thanks for your tips, all information is really welcome, thank you.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #17,179 of 17,484
So I've been lurking on this site for ages (I bought my AKG K81DJs because of the forums, loved them, and now 3 friends own a pair too!), finally decided to join the discussion! I bought a FiiO X3 today, just waiting for delivery now! I got a great deal, I had intended to go for the X1 but found a little shop online whose owner was selling the X3 after getting two for Christmas. I got the whole thing with 64gb sd card for £15 less than what I was going to pay for the X1 without sd card, so I'm really pleased.

I've got my AKGs and some Sennheisers (px100), would you recommend any other sets? I'm so excited to get my X3, I've started archiving all my music in FLAC format. Previously I used a Sony mp3 player which I will admit I'm sentimentally attached to, sadly it's only 16gb though and I have to delete files if I want to add new music.

I'm so pleased to finally join your community and look forward to hanging out on this thread learning all about my lovely new X3.

welcome to the club ... enjoy your X3 it is a great device for awesome price
beerchug.gif
... i would recommend it with neutral to bright headphones as it is warm sounding player .. i use it right now with my HD598 and it is good 

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #17,181 of 17,484
Welcome to the club Danithegirl!

I love using my Audio Technica ESW9 when out and about.  Turning the bass boost on actually get's a bit of lift off where the cans actually push away from my ears.  Not something I do all the times, but fun to rock out with.  Otherwise the golden honey signature goes great with the X3. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #17,182 of 17,484
I've been checking out some of the headphones suggested here and I'm making a list of those which I'll be doing some research on to pair with my new X3.

If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to add to my list of possibilities....my general listening habits are as follows -

Public transport and car journeys - I use my current portable every day on the bus to and from work, 30 minute journey each way plus about 15 minutes walking in a small town - so no city scale background noise. I'm also always plugged in on car journeys (as a non-driver this is one of my luxuries, I see a long car journey as a perfect excuse to plug in and day dream!) Trains and planes I use a few times per year as well.

Lunchtimes/at my desk - I'm usually on my own in the office so I like to listen to music in my lunchbreak or when I'm not the person answering the switchboard phone.

At home - I live opposite my parents so I generally spend a few hours at their house each night where we're all listening to music on different devices! I take my mp3 player with me. I'm also using my mp3 player as my main source of music in my own home too at the moment, (plugged into some bog standard speakers) as I'm in the middle of upgrading my home hifi equipment. I hope to have my hifi up and running by April when I get something to play my vinyl on, so for a few months I'll be relying on my X3 for all my music needs! 

It's rare that I'm not listening to music, I'd say I have proper listening sessions (where it's not on in the background and I'm really focused on the audio) for a few hours each evening, at the moment on my portable and probably mainly at my parents house. After April I'll finally have a nice home system set up once again.

So far I've been pointed in the direction of the following headphones, feel free to add to the list! My budget isn't great as I'm spending on my home hifi set up at the moment too, I'd say between £80-£120 at present, but I'll probably be able to spend a bit more in a year or so (£300+) - mainly to pair with my home set up rather than the X3 however.

Audio Technica ESW9
Sennheiser HD598 
DavidA recommended these : EL8 open, HD-700, TH-600, HE-400i, Grado RS2e
AKG K550 

Some of the above are probably out of my price range, I haven't looked at all of them yet. I don't know how many of you adhere to the idea that a certain brand has a 'house sound' but I am a fan of AKGs - the K550s look like my preferred option of my growing list!

Thanks for the advice so far! I thought giving you some detail on my listening habits and budget might be useful for any future recommendations...

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #17,183 of 17,484

I've been checking out some of the headphones suggested here and I'm making a list of those which I'll be doing some research on to pair with my new X3.

If anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to add to my list of possibilities....my general listening habits are as follows -

Public transport and car journeys - I use my current portable every day on the bus to and from work, 30 minute journey each way plus about 15 minutes walking in a small town - so no city scale background noise. I'm also always plugged in on car journeys (as a non-driver this is one of my luxuries, I see a long car journey as a perfect excuse to plug in and day dream!) Trains and planes I use a few times per year as well.

Lunchtimes/at my desk - I'm usually on my own in the office so I like to listen to music in my lunchbreak or when I'm not the person answering the switchboard phone.

At home - I live opposite my parents so I generally spend a few hours at their house each night where we're all listening to music on different devices! I take my mp3 player with me. I'm also using my mp3 player as my main source of music in my own home too at the moment, (plugged into some bog standard speakers) as I'm in the middle of upgrading my home hifi equipment. I hope to have my hifi up and running by April when I get something to play my vinyl on, so for a few months I'll be relying on my X3 for all my music needs! 

It's rare that I'm not listening to music, I'd say I have proper listening sessions (where it's not on in the background and I'm really focused on the audio) for a few hours each evening, at the moment on my portable and probably mainly at my parents house. After April I'll finally have a nice home system set up once again.

So far I've been pointed in the direction of the following headphones, feel free to add to the list! My budget isn't great as I'm spending on my home hifi set up at the moment too, I'd say between £80-£120 at present, but I'll probably be able to spend a bit more in a year or so (£300+) - mainly to pair with my home set up rather than the X3 however.

Audio Technica ESW9
Sennheiser HD598 
DavidA recommended these : EL8 open, HD-700, TH-600, HE-400i, Grado RS2e
AKG K550 

Some of the above are probably out of my price range, I haven't looked at all of them yet. I don't know how many of you adhere to the idea that a certain brand has a 'house sound' but I am a fan of AKGs - the K550s look like my preferred option of my growing list!

Thanks for the advice so far! I thought giving you some detail on my listening habits and budget might be useful for any future recommendations...

In the 80-120 range (100-150 USD) you're a bit limited.  The ATH-M50X are in the upper portion of that range.  The HD598 fall right in the middle.  I have heard both (actually own the M50) and they're good entry level cans.  I didn't care for the 598 as much but perhaps they weren't amped enough to remove the "Sennheiser veil".  They are devilishly comfortable however!  And the older cream coloured (with wood accents) are quite nice.  However they are open backed compared to the M50 and they don't fold up into a nice small package.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #17,184 of 17,484
@DaniTheGirl, what genre of music do you like to listen to?  Some headphones just work better with some genres than others.  I'm one that likes different headphones for their different sound signatures and just enjoying the music.

Since you are on the bus I think the K550/K553 (massdrop edition) will work well but the cable is non-removable and some have issues with the ear pad seal around the ear which affects the sound.

The HE-400i is one of the easier to drive planar headphones, is about $250-275 these days but is an open design so not the best for outdoor use.

My GF used to use her HD-700 when she walks our dog since it lets her to be aware of her surroundings, way out of you price range at $430 these days.

A Beyer DT-1770 is a closed headphone but like the HD-700 priced around $400-450.

In the 80-120 Euro range you are quite limited, the suggestion of the M50x and HD-598 are about the most common recommendations along with MDR-7506, DT-770 and Grado SR-80e.  If you are lucky you might be able to find a MDR-1A for $170.

If you are okay with used-like new and can get it from Amazon when available the original Momentum can be had for about $100 and the smaller on-ears were about $70.  Another is the V-Moda M-100 (a little out of your budget at $220) but the X-fade is $120, XS about $160.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #17,185 of 17,484
  In the 80-120 range (100-150 USD) you're a bit limited.  The ATH-M50X are in the upper portion of that range.  The HD598 fall right in the middle.  I have heard both (actually own the M50) and they're good entry level cans.  I didn't care for the 598 as much but perhaps they weren't amped enough to remove the "Sennheiser veil".  They are devilishly comfortable however!  And the older cream coloured (with wood accents) are quite nice.  However they are open backed compared to the M50 and they don't fold up into a nice small package.

yes there is some veil with the HD598 with the X3 ... but it is not the 598's fault the x3 has that veil in mids but through its headphone out only ... with a proper amp there is no such thing

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #17,186 of 17,484
  yes there is some veil with the HD598 with the X3 ... but it is not the 598's fault the x3 has that veil in mids but through its headphone out only ... with a proper amp there is no such thing

The HD-598 is quite bright and never sounded "veiled" with the X3 to me, IMO they were still a bit bright on the X3 and most SS amps that I tried them on.  The X3 has a slightly warmer tone from neutral but not enough to call it "veiled" IMO, one of the reasons its quite good with brighter headphones like the HD-700 and RS2e.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #17,187 of 17,484
  The HD-598 is quite bright and never sounded "veiled" with the X3 to me, IMO they were still a bit bright on the X3 and most SS amps that I tried them on.  The X3 has a slightly warmer tone from neutral but not enough to call it "veiled" IMO, one of the reasons its quite good with brighter headphones like the HD-700 and RS2e.

X3 is veiled in comparison to higher end devices ... but for its range of devices it is fine ... and I believe that vileness is because its headphone amp may be because it is perfectly clear through the line out  

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #17,188 of 17,484
By clear through the line out, do you mean to an external amp? Presumably there is no difference between the headphone and line out just to a headphone? (My x3 arrives by the way)

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #17,190 of 17,484
  X3 is veiled in comparison to higher end devices ... but for its range of devices it is fine ... and I believe that vileness is because its headphone amp may be because it is perfectly clear through the line out  

I'm thinking you might be mistaking "veiled" for warm, to me the X3 amp is quite good and has a very similar sound signature to a Mojo which I don't recall anyone calling "veiled" but they have been call warm/warmish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back