The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 8, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #17,041 of 17,484
I bought the X3 the week it was sold at the shops. Since then I never updated its FW. My question is will it work with a 128 gig SD ?

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #17,043 of 17,484
It will among other great options and improvements if you are on the very first versions ... What is your current fw version ?
Stock FW.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #17,045 of 17,484
One problem you could run into is formatting the card. I don't think the original fw had a format option. The card needs to be fat32 to work with the early firmwares
Formatiing is easy. Just not sure about installing new FW. will the new FW change the sound for the better or make it sound too different.

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #17,046 of 17,484
There's been debate about that, but personally, I really didn't notice any big changes. There was a bug in the mp3 decoding that did effect the sq for them, don't remember which update fixed it. You can always rollback to older firmwares too

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #17,047 of 17,484
  There's been debate about that, but personally, I really didn't notice any big changes. There was a bug in the mp3 decoding that did effect the sq for them, don't remember which update fixed it. You can always rollback to older firmwares too

Not that it really matters now but as soon as the beta firmware of the new interface before 3.0, that sorted out the bug with mp3 decoding.
Stock FW.
Formatiing is easy. Just not sure about installing new FW. will the new FW change the sound for the better or make it sound too different.

If you go to information about the X3, it should say the firmware version. It it probably be 2.1 that you have I think but I can't be sure. I think it would be well worth getting an update.

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39932

If you scroll down towards the bottom, you will see all the firmwares released for the X3. The most recent one is 3.4. If you don't like it, you can simply download what you had before and go back to it.

To put the new firmware on, you just drag the file named x3.fw onto your micro SD card, then turn the player off and press and hold the power and return button at the same time for over 3 seconds. The player should then say updating. If you don't like the sound or interface of the new firmware, you can then repeat this process and put your original firmware back on.

If you have an old firmware that is older than 3.0, I will mention the main changes.

The interface is far better.

Everything is less cluttered and in a more sensible place.

To a lot of us, it sounds clearer.

Some software EQ has been added.

A choice of 6 different themes.

The volume now has a max of 120. This means you now get a wider range of volume levels. Useful if your headphones are very sensitive.  However, I preferred it before as it seemed you could turn up and down the volume much faster.

There are lots of other changes too and most are definitely better than the older versions so I think it is worth upgrading. It should work fine on a 128gb card.

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #17,048 of 17,484
Not that it really matters now but as soon as the beta firmware of the new interface before 3.0, that sorted out the bug with mp3 decoding.

If you go to information about the X3, it should say the firmware version. It it probably be 2.1 that you have I think but I can't be sure. I think it would be well worth getting an update.

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=39932

If you scroll down towards the bottom, you will see all the firmwares released for the X3. The most recent one is 3.4. If you don't like it, you can simply download what you had before and go back to it.

To put the new firmware on, you just drag the file named x3.fw onto your micro SD card, then turn the player off and press and hole the power and return button at the same time for over 3 seconds. The player should then say updating. If you don't like the sound or interface of the new firmware, you can then repeat this process and put your original firmware back on.

If you have an old firmware that is older than 3.0, I will mention the main changes.

The interface is far better.

Everything is less cluttered and in a more sensible place.

To a lot of us, it sounds clearer.

Some software EQ has been added.

A choice of 6 different themes.

The volume now has a max of 120. This means you now get a wider range of volume levels. Useful if your headphones are very sensitive.  However, I preferred it before as it seemed you could turn up and down the volume much faster.

There are lots of other changes too and most are definitely better than the older versions so I think it is worth upgrading. It should work fine on a 128gb card.
Thanks, but weird FW goes on SD card?

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #17,052 of 17,484
Jun 10, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #17,053 of 17,484

X3 with the Elekit Japanese amp. This amp is neutral sounding with a wide soundstage.It has a slight tube sound , analog like a record than a CD.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #17,055 of 17,484
+1 with the predator ... it is very neutral and very clear 
This set up gived more bass impact than the Mojo. Mids and treble are equal. Seperation is a bit better on the mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back