The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Aug 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #2,266 of 3,613
haha 80-100 for the player? youre dreaming, there is far more cost in development and production of the DAP than a dac/amp which is one of the easier things to design at this level

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,270 of 3,613
Quote:
Would this not be the ultimate package

iBasso fell short IMHO even for $850.  If you can get Fiio to do better than the DX100 sonically for $250 be my guest.  You'll have my support and eternal gratitude.  Jack of all trades, master of none.  

Personally I'm looking forward to all those other useful ports.  I'd rather they just sold a transport w/o a DAC or amp and save the space and money.  Maybe something to think about for a stripped down model called an X1 or X2.  Hell I don't even know what the X3 is anymore.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2,271 of 3,613
Quote:

iBasso fell short IMHO even for $850.  If you can get Fiio to do better than the DX100 sonically for $250 be my guest.  You'll have my support and eternal gratitude.  Jack of all trades, master of none.  

Personally I'm looking forward to all those other useful ports.  I'd rather they just sold a transport w/o a DAC or amp and save the space and money.  Maybe something to think about for a stripped down model called an X1 or X2.  Hell I don't even know what the X3 is anymore.

That is an interesting idea, a cheap device that has same interface as a DAP except it only has storage and input. No DAC or amp and only has digital out.....if they sold it cheap enough with enough storage..., good usability and build, then it would probably sell lots...

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #2,272 of 3,613
Anaxilus is right on the money here I think. A leckerton + a transport with Coax out is just what you need.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #2,273 of 3,613
Quote:
Anaxilus is right on the money here I think. A leckerton + a transport with Coax out is just what you need.

Sure, w/ (self powered) USB they could make it a package w/ their own E17 along w/ SPDIF feeding everything else on the market including desktop/home gear. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,274 of 3,613
I assume that was the original intent, since they included a coax from the beginning. However, it's still unclear if they keep it after the reboot. We'll know soon enough I guess.

Quote:
Sure, w/ (self powered) USB they could make it a package w/ their own E17 along w/ SPDIF feeding everything else on the market including desktop/home gear. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #2,275 of 3,613
Quote:

So anaxilus where you ever able to redemo the DX100 with firmware 1.1.7 and fully burned in? I remember your last impressions where from a new unit with the old firmware on it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #2,276 of 3,613
Quote:

It's called a mini hard drive with a screen interface. As for the OS to make it usable I'm sure something wsimple with a Linux based kernel would suffice. Now that I think about it I'm surprised nothing like that exists on the market. You may have just come up with a whopper of an idea Anax. You think anybody on here from the DIY community could put something like that together?

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #2,277 of 3,613
Quote:

+1

I've been waiting for a decent transport without the disadvantages of my QA350 v2 for a long time. An easy to navigate UI, battery life of 10-15 hours and basic file format support (FLAC, WAV, MP3) is all I ask. Even if it did not have internal memory, I can manage fine with my numerous microSD/SD cards.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2,278 of 3,613
Quote:
So anaxilus where you ever able to redemo the DX100 with firmware 1.1.7 and fully burned in? I remember your last impressions where from a new unit with the old firmware on it.

Not yet.  I know the amp is beyond fixable for my needs but the DAC is another story I need to investigate further w/ new firmware.  I suspect I would still need to disable all the fluff included w/ Android to get acceptable performance.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #2,279 of 3,613
Quote:

Not yet.  I know the amp is beyond fixable for my needs but the DAC is another story I need to investigate further w/ new firmware.  I suspect I would still need to disable all the fluff included w/ Android to get acceptable performance.

Wow..even the ibasso didn't live up to you.....i feel bad for FiiO for those that have the ibasso haha, Huge expectatoins.

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #2,280 of 3,613
Again my apologies for not being very knowledgable in equipment or costs :frowning2: but I am a quick learner. The idea for a super slimmed down DAP is brilliant. It could fit right in with existing equipment like a dream. Still a lot of devices for portable use though.

I personally would use the X3 as an on-the-go option paired with Headphones. Basically picture some jerkoff who uses an ipod while at school or out, this is me. This is also most of the world. I started trying to understand audio equipment when I decided I needed new headphones. I went to look at Beats by Dre and read a bunch of bad Amazon reviews and found links to headfi about how they are over hyped trash. I ended up discovering FLAC, DAC and phone amps.

For me, coming from not knowing good SQ, there are only 4 things I need/can afford: Headphones, any old player, inexpensive DAC, and small amp for my not demanding headphones (HD598). This is why the e17 is good for me. This upgrade in sound quality from ipod or computer is astounding. I think there needs to be bridge between Joe Blo Ipod User and true real audiophiles. FiiO seems like the company who can do that. Make a device the masses can pick up and play with ease, all you need is FLAC files and quality phones.

I don't have any more equipment but I know that people have serious amps and DACs hooked up to their computers or home theater set-up. These are stationary options. Question is, what will you guys use the X3 for? All those wonderful ports that I'm not familiar with, I was thinking applied to stationary devices, not things that you would find or take on the go.

I ask for slight patience please :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back