The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Aug 29, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #2,026 of 3,613
fairy nuff

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #2,028 of 3,613
the special hidden feature is ethernet line out? 
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #2,031 of 3,613

Quote:
Ethernet line out for audio??  Does that even exist?

Yup.  Works using a Laptop/Netbook feeding a PS Audio PWD w/ Bridge.  It has to be a DLNA enabled device.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2,032 of 3,613
yeah but that will require custom drivers, its probably sending i2s over ethernet like several other companies. its ok, but tbh its not up there with usb over usb. i2s over any length of cable is really not ideal. usb is a buffered differential signal, i2s is not; meaning usb has better error rejection

Dynaudio use ethernet (wired or wireless) for their Air series of professional networked high end studio monitors and it works really well, but AFAIK they use proprietary everything.

so its kinda a case of usb having error rejection inherent in the cable/transport as well as having good buffered error correction, ethernet uses twisted pairs, each signal is paired with a ground wire, its a single ended connection, it relies on having buffered error correction rather than the common mode rejection AND buffered error correction that comes with balanced/differential signalling

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #2,034 of 3,613
Agreed. I have a remote app on my phone that uses dlna to wirelessly stream music from my pc. The files on my pc are flac. Recently I was comparing 16/44 flac streamed to my phone and the same song stored on my phone which is encoded at lame v0 mp3. The mp3 file sounded better by a good bit. Meaning, I didn't have to go back and forth to hear the difference. That app works good as a remote, but that's using an optical connection between my computer and dac. Wireless streaming has it's advantages, but still have compromises when it comes to sound quality.

Aug 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #2,035 of 3,613
Are you serious? I thought DLNA transferred media losslessly. Thats really a huge let down if an mp3 stored locally sounds better than a flac file transferred over dlna.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #2,036 of 3,613
It is lossless in principal, but you you also have to look at what qusp said above. Also lame v0 sound really close to lossless. The difference is only descenable on gear that's very transparent. And when you introduce the jitter and other artifacts that takes place during the streaming process, then that tips the scale toward the lame v0 file. You can look at it like this. A high bitrate mp3 file played back using a high end dac will sound better than a lossless file played back on a portable device. I'm sure things will get better in time, but right now lossless streaming has some work to do.

I appologise in advance. I know this belongs in another thread. But someone did bring is up earlier.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,038 of 3,613
I have a hard time pulling the trigger on other DAPS.The X3 would offer the best of all things at an affordable price.  I am holding out until it comes out although I am tempted to buy something to hold me over. It seems like we burned ourselves out talking about this DAP and all there is to do is wait for updates.Lets hope it comes out soon.

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #2,039 of 3,613

Quote:
I have a hard time pulling the trigger on other DAPS.The X3 would offer the best of all things at an affordable price.  I am holding out until it comes out although I am tempted to buy something to hold me over. It seems like we burned ourselves out talking about this DAP and all there is to do is wait for updates.Lets hope it comes out soon.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna even get one when it does eventually come out. Although it has nice features, I think I found my solution with the hifiman 601. The Sflo2 went back already due to defect again so I'm done with them.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2,040 of 3,613
I've decided to hold out, pretty much, it's just going to be plain cheaper to get an X3 + E17 + memory card than any part of the iPod > CLAS > amp chain and I don't really want to spend around £1000 on a portable stack just yet, especially when I'm desperate to upgrade to better IEMs which are currently higher up the importance chain. I'll just have to make do using my iPhone 3GS at the moment (hopefully iPhone 5 within the next few weeks or so!) but I don't doubt Fiio will get this out in the next couple of months and the thread will be about impressions and reviews (although I think a new thread would be better!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back