The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Aug 28, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #2,011 of 3,613

Quote:
I have explained it before. The SoC only has one I/O channel for storage, so it can only take either one SDHC slot or one internal memory. The decision to use SDHC at the end is because it gives more freedom to the user.

That's too bad to hear, it'll still sell well due to all the other features on it but it would have done better with more storage capability overall.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #2,012 of 3,613
Wait so theres not going to be compatibility for 128GB or higher micro SDs? 
triportsad.gif

edit: Keeps on doing typos, maybe I should get more sleep

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2,013 of 3,613

Quote:
Wait so theres not going to compatibility for 128GB or higher micro SDs? 
triportsad.gif

You got it. There's no guarantee at least that the SDHC can support the new SDXC standard due to the extra pin. Who knows there may be a work around but I doubt it. That is why I would have to debate on picking up this unit. Depending on the feedback I'll make my decision then. Otherwise I'll just wait for the T59 to release, then again if those clowns haven't learned their lesson from the last player I won't even bother.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #2,014 of 3,613

Quote:
I myself bought a small case especially designed to hold my microsd cards which is available on Amazon, btw. I don't think it's a big deal to insert whatever card I wish to listen to... but, the cards are so small, it's difficult to place any indexing on them, so I put a code letter (a, b,c, etc.) on each one so I know which is which. What's the issue, or is it just laziness?

Same.  My wallet actually has two slots for sdcards so I always have 2 rounds + 1 in the chamber.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #2,015 of 3,613

Quote:
Wait so theres not going to compatibility for 128GB or higher micro SDs? 
triportsad.gif

SDHC (SDv2) only goes up 32GB. Most of the current SDXC (up tp 64GB) is based on SDv3, which can be used on a SDHC slot if the firmware / OS has the driver. But given that (1) there is no microSDXC in the market now (only normal SDXC), (2) most normal SDXC with SDv3 is stuck on 64GB and (3) SDv4 (64GB and up, and not compatible to SDHC slot) has been announced early this year, there is a very good chance when manufacturers start making microSDXC, they will make it to SDv4 spec, which means we will see 64GB+ microSDXC that can not be used on older device, including X3. In layman's term, there is very little chance that we will be able to find a microSDXC that will work on X3 and most of current DAP with SD slot. 32GB is likely the best of what we can get. If you look around, even Sandisk (which is one of the largest SD card manufacturer around) doesn't have a microSDXC compatible slot on their latest Clip Zip.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #2,016 of 3,613

Quote:
SDHC (SDv2) only goes up 32GB. Most of the current SDXC (up tp 64GB) is based on SDv3, which can be used on a SDHC slot if the firmware / OS has the driver. But given that (1) there is no microSDXC in the market now (only normal SDXC), (2) most normal SDXC with SDv3 is stuck on 64GB and (3) SDv4 (64GB and up, and not compatible to SDHC slot) has been announced early this year, there is a very good chance when manufacturers start making microSDXC, they will make it to SDv4 spec, which means we will see 64GB+ microSDXC that can not be used on older device, including X3. In layman's term, there is very little chance that we will be able to find a microSDXC that will work on X3 and most of current DAP with SD slot. 32GB is likely the best of what we can get. If you look around, even Sandisk (which is one of the largest SD card manufacturer around) doesn't have a microSDXC compatible slot on their latest Clip Zip.

All they are doing is screwing the customers over in this deal and ultimately lowering their profit margins by doing this. Not the best business decision but as long as it won't actually effect their profit margins in a major way I guess they couldn't give a rats a%%. Then again its all in the name of profit so you have to buy the newer players that now support this new standard :wink:.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #2,017 of 3,613
hey guys, i'm currently looking into the x3, my setups are D10/just dap > headphones for portable and HDP+LCD2 for desktop, i'm not going to use 24bit music, is it worth waiting for the x3 for the coaxial out or is normal line out sufficient? if normal line out is sufficient any suggestions for players? i'm looking for something that can hold 16-32Gb..

Thank you for your help

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #2,019 of 3,613

Quote:
the coax out is only worth it if you need coax out.  What would you connect it to?

Your TV, of course! lol

Aug 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #2,020 of 3,613

Quote:
the coax out is only worth it if you need coax out.  What would you connect it to?

first of all thank you for your reply, as i have mentioned before the HDP and D10, they both have coax input and 3.5mm input, would it be any benefit over 3.5mm line out, maybe it's just in my head i find that optical out from my laptop quiet noticeably better from usb. So i'm wondering if there is much of a difference in people's experience.

The built in amp attracted my attention for when i don't want to carry the D10, but a 32Gb card will be rather expensive and the battery life is not that great, any recommendation of a player with line out and sound decent by itself?

thank you

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #2,021 of 3,613
I wasn't trying to be a jerk.  I have no idea what a D10 is and I somehow missed your HDP comment.  I just saw you list your current gear which obviously wasn't using coax and didn't think it could - there  have been quite a few comments on here from people who didn't know what to do with coax. The COAX out is for people who have better DACs and want to be able to use them.  I'm obviosly not familiar enough with either of yours to say how noticeably better they will be but it it's a very interesting option that allows you to check and covers you for the future. I'm sure we'll be happy with the line out too.  I'm not sure if your usb comment was related to your question but I think optical easily sounds better than USB.  With my equipment, coax sounds similar to optical but has far fewer issues.  Coax is really the way to go.  I was waiting forever before for cheaper asynch usb dacs to hit the market then one day I realized it didn't matter - just use coax.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #2,022 of 3,613

Quote:
I wasn't trying to be a jerk.  I have no idea what a D10 is and I somehow missed your HDP comment.  I just saw you list your current gear which obviously wasn't using coax and didn't think it could - there  have been quite a few comments on here from people who didn't know what to do with coax. The COAX out is for people who have better DACs and want to be able to use them.  I'm obviosly not familiar enough with either of yours to say how noticeably better they will be but it it's a very interesting option that allows you to check and covers you for the future. I'm sure we'll be happy with the line out too.  I'm not sure if your usb comment was related to your question but I think optical easily sounds better than USB.  With my equipment, coax sounds similar to optical but has far fewer issues.  Coax is really the way to go.  I was waiting forever before for cheaper asynch usb dacs to hit the market then one day I realized it didn't matter - just use coax.

i'm guessing you havent used usb for quite a while, or anything decent. there is no better option than high end usb->i2s these days imo. nothing much in the portable realm, but for home i'd like to see any optical set up at any cost come close to the async with 2 discrete audio OCXO, one for each sample rate group and an isolated dedicated OCXO for the usb clock capable of 4 channel 32bit/384khz, or 8 x 32/192 i'm currently using. up till about 18 months ago, or even a year i would have agreed with you, but optical has been left in the dust imo and hasnt really progressed in years. Its still convenient for portable where you are often dealing with 2 different battery powered devices; meaning the 'ground' references will be at a different voltage and transformer coupling is rare on portable devices.

I agree with you re coax though, definitely the better of the spdif transports (only if done properly, it can be problematic if not and then optical is preferred). but once they finally sort out portable usb hosting on daps, not just lappies and decent usb makes it into the portable realm, there really will be no need for either spdif except legacy support.

the above setup i mention isnt exactly budget though

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #2,023 of 3,613
Regarding optical, I find there are definitely varied qualities of implementation that can make or break optical IME.  From out to in and everything in between it all matters probably more so than most connections I've run across.

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #2,024 of 3,613
sure, but even the best quality optical still has far more intrinsic jitter than a decent transformer coupled coax (bnc) input. anyway OT when is this thing gonna be ready!! hehe i'm dead keen

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #2,025 of 3,613
Yea, I pretty clearly said the better usb options were too expensive.  I never said that usb couldn't be better.  But now that I have a couple $1000 in DACs with many doing usb/optical/ and coax and I can say without a doubt that in the same implamentation that COAX works the best.  I also think my optical connections sound better than usb but have quite a few issues so its your call which you like better.  But the world of DACs is changing quickly so there will be no long lasting hard and fast rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back