The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Aug 26, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #1,996 of 3,613

Quote:
For what I know, beside some minor features, WM8740 and WM8741 shares almost identical spec and performance. So it might not be the upgrade for WM8740. I have seen people comments on WM8741 as just a way to for Wolfson to "refresh" line-up because they haven't updated WM8740 for so long. The price difference between the two is however much more obvious (WM8740 - $5+ | WM8741 - $13~17+).

Interesting.  I know the PS Audio PWD uses it and it is quite phenomenal.  Of course it is an amazing implementation overall.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #1,997 of 3,613
Quote:
It will have four Wolfson chips, so that it pwns the SFlo2 with its two Wolfson chips. Of course, the battery will be so drained by this that 5 hours will be the limit....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Or may be it supports microSDXC - a feature that is not found in any player so far?
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #1,998 of 3,613

Quote:
Or may be it supports microSDXC - a feature that is not found in any player so far?
wink.gif

A good reason for that is because almost no one is making any microSDXC.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #1,999 of 3,613

Quote:
Oooooohh.. this thread is gonna be filled with speculations of what that bonus feature is =p beats the overly asked when-is-this-coming-out-please-look-at-the-first-post endless cycle :wink:)

I've been pondering what it might be while I was driving home. Came up with three: crossfeed, USB DAC function, and USB host (although since this has SPDIF and so do many good DAC-Amps, portable or otherwise)

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #2,001 of 3,613
I'm really looking forward to the X3 now. I'm pleasantly surprised that the Hifiman 601 through its line out is pleasing these ears over the Sflo2s line out, now if the X3 can manage to give me the same sound or very similar to the Sflo2 but better overall and no channel imbalance I'd be in heaven. I wish that surprise fiio has for us is dual micro SD slots for 2 cards :).

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #2,002 of 3,613

Quote:
A good reason for that is because almost no one is making any microSDXC.

It will be only a matter of months before sandisk is cranking out 64gb micro sdxc cards

Aug 27, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2,003 of 3,613

Quote:
It will be only a matter of months before sandisk is cranking out 64gb micro sdxc cards

Yeah, but there is also a very good chance they will make it according to the latest SDv4 with the required extra pin, not the SDHC (SDv2) compatible SDv3.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #2,004 of 3,613

Quote:
Yeah, but there is also a very good chance they will make it according to the latest SDv4 with the required extra pin, not the SDHC (SDv2) compatible SDv3.

all the reason for fiio to include the updated spec in thier micro sd slot. The money they saved not including internal memory some of that can be put to including a state of the art micro sdxc slot.

What would it cost maybe 10 or 20 more dollars to put a fully updated micro sdxc slot

Aug 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #2,005 of 3,613

Quote:
all the reason for fiio to include the updated spec in thier micro sd slot. The money they saved not including internal memory some of that can be put to including a state of the art micro sdxc slot.

What would it cost maybe 10 or 20 more dollars to put a fully updated micro sdxc slot

The money saved was to be passed on to us.  Not including internal memory was a design choice proposed by forum members like myself for a number of reasons.  It's all in the thread.  I'm sure they had no idea their third party FW developer would lag this much despite having the hardware set and done for so long.  Unless they say otherwise the current position is the hardware is and has been finalized for the last 3 months or more I believe.  Not including the case redesign.  But if they can still get the v4 sdxc slot in there I won't object.  Maybe that's what ClieOS was hiding.  >.>..... <.<

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #2,006 of 3,613
I just think it only makes sense, since there is no internal memory. A lot of people really need 64GB space. Cowon j3 with 32gb card, ipod touch 64, Japanese Sony A series. I know I really prefer having atleast 64gb of space. But I guess 32GB is worth it if the sound quality is good enough

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #2,007 of 3,613

Quote:

Quote:
 Maybe that's what ClieOS was hiding.  >.>..... <.<

It is electronically impossible to put a SDXC onto the X3 simply because the SoC doesn't support it. In fact, most of the popular SoC in the DAP market are not compatible with SDXC.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2,008 of 3,613

Quote:
I just think it only makes sense, since there is no internal memory. A lot of people really need 64GB space. Cowon j3 with 32gb card, ipod touch 64, Japanese Sony A series. I know I really prefer having atleast 64gb of space. But I guess 32GB is worth it if the sound quality is good enough

I myself bought a small case especially designed to hold my microsd cards which is available on Amazon, btw. I don't think it's a big deal to insert whatever card I wish to listen to... but, the cards are so small, it's difficult to place any indexing on them, so I put a code letter (a, b,c, etc.) on each one so I know which is which. What's the issue, or is it just laziness?

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #2,009 of 3,613

Quote:
I myself bought a small case especially designed to hold my microsd cards which is available on Amazon, btw. I don't think it's a big deal to insert whatever card I wish to listen to... but, the cards are so small, it's difficult to place any indexing on them, so I put a code letter (a, b,c, etc.) on each one so I know which is which. What's the issue, or is it just laziness?

The fact that they are so small and fragile. I'm worried about losing them as you stated with the carrying case and breaking them when handling them. Now if we have 64 gb size cards I'd be fine with that in all honesty. I'd still want an extra one so when I do fill up I can swap them up but it won't be on a regular basis. I still don't see a reason to not have 2 available micro SD slots available on it, not sure if that is an impossibility? I'm sure it is now due to the X3s completion but it would have gotten rid of the storage issue for sure.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #2,010 of 3,613

Quote:
I still don't see a reason to not have 2 available micro SD slots available on it, not sure if that is an impossibility? I'm sure it is now due to the X3s completion but it would have gotten rid of the storage issue for sure.

I have explained it before. The SoC only has one I/O channel for storage, so it can only take either one SDHC slot or one internal memory. The decision to use SDHC at the end is because it gives more freedom to the user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back