The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Jan 4, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #31 of 545
I know one guy which directly compared the 660 S2 with the 58Xs and preferred the latter, although the S2 is also a good pair of headphones :L3000:
Could be. I never had the pleasure of listening to the 58x, but I have heard very good things. I'm sure that after I thin my headphone collection down to 5 or 6, I may use that new income to purchase a pair.

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #32 of 545
I'm selling my 650, 6xx, 660s1. I'm keeping the 600 and s2. I love the 600. There is just something about it. Clarity, , balanced in terms of timbre, surprising to me as I've had the 600 for only 4 months or so. I didn't think that they would be so strikingly different from the 650's. Just my experience ....

Leo
Great input :)
I'll just have to get out here and test them. The 600 and 660S2 has booth been interesting to me from the beginning, even though I really like the HiFiMan sound. I guess it's all the positive stuff you hear about the HD series and that i want something that is drastically different from my HE1000's.

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #33 of 545
I've been listening to my Denon D5200 for most of the week, but I'm slowly coming to the realization that they are just a touch too neutral for me. Good for a change of pace, but my natural preference is for a warmer tone.

When I want more bass, I use my heavily modified HE-R9. They are fun and energetic, but not for anyone looking for neutrality.

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #34 of 545
Finally! I headphone themed cooler thread.

I've been listening to my ETA o2, an on ear headphone (yes I know it sounds uncomfy) thats catered to audiophiles. 3d printed, and using a 50mm driver, its actually really good. The bass is my fave part to the overall sound and tonally pretty fun. It has a slight lack of dynamics imo, but tonally its wonderful.

Also expecting a ZMF Bokeh soon! I bought it early on but I am very much hoping it get it withing this month. Very excited as this will be my first personal ZMF headphone! I am also likely to pick up their Homage.

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #35 of 545
I'm a big ZMF fan. I added the Atrium open not too long ago and received the Atrium closed yesterday. Surprisingly bass heavy. I had to switch to the suede pads to reign it in. I love both of these headphones a lot!

Another recent purchase is the Empyrean 2. Very good headphone but with the Empyrean OG and Elite in the stable I might let it go.

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #36 of 545
I'm a big ZMF fan. I added the Atrium open not too long ago and received the Atrium closed yesterday. Surprisingly bass heavy. I had to switch to the suede pads to reign it in. I love both of these headphones a lot!

Another recent purchase is the Empyrean 2. Very good headphone but with the Empyrean OG and Elite in the stable I might let it go.
Been a follower of ZMF for some time! Not since 2011 but I definitely have enjoyed Zachs work and his designs. He genuinely deserves a lot of the attention!

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #37 of 545
Enhanced in what way? ime, bass quantity has increased. As Im sure youre aware there have been small changes to drivers, baffle material, and pads over 600+650 production.

Anyways, why are you messing around with 6X0 when youre in totl megabucks territory (utopia, susvara, caldera)? Secret: I use my cheaper headphones far more often than the more expensive ones for various reasons including aspects of sound quality but mostly convenience.

The only Senns I ever loved were PX100 but that was a long time ago... It died.
I have a couple 500s that I use with my ps5 for movies 😂

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #39 of 545
I think I have found my final pair of headphones. Yes, I have had this thought many times over the years and then still ending up buying another pair out of sheer curiosity. But this time it is real.
I have been using the Audio Technica R70Xs exclusively, non-stop for over half a year already and I think they are just perfect. The only reason I will listen to my other pairs is because I don't wont to let them unused. Selling them is a hassle, not worth the time and effort.
I thought the R70Xs would be just another flavor, but they have become my reference in almost every sense: tonal balance, imaging, timbre and just sheer pleasure.

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #40 of 545
I think I have found my final pair of headphones. Yes, I have had this thought many times over the years and then still ending up buying another pair out of sheer curiosity. But this time it is real.
I have been using the Audio Technica R70Xs exclusively, non-stop for over half a year already and I think they are just perfect. The only reason I will listen to my other pairs is because I don't wont to let them unused. Selling them is a hassle, not worth the time and effort.
I thought the R70Xs would be just another flavor, but they have become my reference in almost every sense: tonal balance, imaging, timbre and just sheer pleasure.
I've never even heard of those. Impressive!

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #41 of 545
Not sure if this is the right thread but thought I'd chime in anyway.

Wondering what peoples collective impressions are about the amount of time that a product should be used before giving an opinion on it.

Headphones dot com for example has released two videos to end off the year where they rank products against its competition. Under normal circumstances I really enjoy the channel's content but the two last videos really irked me. All three reviewers were sharing opinions on products that they've either collectively never heard or have virtually zero experience with. The latest award video even sparked a heated debate with ZMF over the same issue so I know i'm not alone in my sentiments.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are. The Headphones dot com crew are highly respected and hold a heavy amount of influence so i'm curious.

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #42 of 545
I tried them out, but sold them on. Without a doubt the lightest headphone out there and bassier than I expected. They are a Great deal, especially on the used market.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #43 of 545
Speaking in random headphone thoughts, I have ordered a set of FiiO FT5 headphones. Thought about it hard for a Christmas gift to myself, but then thought, "I really don't need another set of headphones".
But then Amazon.ca had them on for $599.00, plus tax (in Canuck bucks) and I caved. Quickly. :grin:

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #44 of 545

Wondering what peoples collective impressions are about the amount of time that a product should be used before giving an opinion on it.

Headphones dot com for example has released two videos to end off the year where they rank products against its competition. Under normal circumstances I really enjoy the channel's content but the two last videos really irked me. All three reviewers were sharing opinions on products that they've either collectively never heard or have virtually zero experience with. The latest award video even sparked a heated debate with ZMF over the same issue so I know i'm not alone in my sentiments.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are. The Headphones dot com crew are highly respected and hold a heavy amount of influence so i'm curious.
I think a lengthy good listen on gear you know is when I choose to give an opinion on it. Hearing something at a meet or audio store will give me the knowledge whether I want to get to know a headphone enough to have a solid impression to share.

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #45 of 545

It's easy to talk about impressions that multiple people have had about a headphone as long as there is a consistent theme. Personally, I don't think you should ran things you haven't heard, that's confusing. My limit for listening before reviewing is usually a week, especially if they're brand new. I have been guilty or doing a quick turn of a few days on a used headphone though. But hey, I don't get paid to do it *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back