The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Jan 4, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #46 of 553
Speaking in random headphone thoughts, I have ordered a set of FiiO FT5 headphones. Thought about it hard for a Christmas gift to myself, but then thought, "I really don't need another set of headphones".
But then Amazon.ca had them on for $599.00, plus tax (in Canuck bucks) and I caved. Quickly. :grin:
I have my eyes on the Fiio also, so really interested in your thoughts about it. I have great expectations, especially for the bass quality as someone ranked it above his Final D8000 which is obviously on a total different league.

Jan 4, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #47 of 553
I have my eyes on the Fiio also, so really interested in your thoughts about it. I have great expectations, especially for the bass quality as someone ranked it above his Final D8000 which is obviously on a total different league.
Ranked it above all around, or just in bass?

Jan 4, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #48 of 553
Ready for my second go-around with the HEDDphone One, definitely on the top three list of everything I have tried to date. The first time I had them they were driven directly from the speaker outs of a Jeff Rowland Model 2 power amp.

Having my doubts as-to whether the Hagerman Tuba can handle them.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #49 of 553
Ranked it above all around, or just in bass?
When he first got it, ranked it second place behind the D8000, in the - rank your Headphones thread.
Later on, ended by ranking it above it. Usually it goes the other way around. Honeymoon period aside, you get excited and astonished the first time you listen to that new headphone since it brings something fresh, but the more you listen, you will also start to discern all of its flaws and since we are talking about a 500€ headphone new, it has many for sure.
So someone that owns and likes the Final D8000, later on, ends by putting the inexpensive Fiio above it, as a overall HP, I don´t know but it certainly caught my eye and for the price, sooner or later, it deserves my attention, especially because I like Bass and it seems to be its biggest quality.

Space and imaging is better on the D8000, but overall he states the Fiio has the best bass he ever listened to, still with good detail, not unbalanced as one could think. Not dark, muddy or lacking resolution. It seems to scale well with good gear, so as long as you have this in mind, it could be a HP performing above its price range but serving tastes that gravitate towards the lower-end preference for sure.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #50 of 553
When he first got it, ranked it second place behind the D8000, in the - rank your Headphones thread. Later on, ended by ranking it above it. Usually it goes the other way around. Honeymoon period aside, you get excited and astonished the first time you listen to that new headphone since it brings something fresh, but the more you listen, you will also start to discern all of its flaws and since we are talking about a 500€ headphone new, it has many for sure. So someone that owns and likes the Final D8000, later on, ends by putting the inexpensive Fiio above it, as a overall HP, I don´t know but it certainly caught my eye and for the price, sooner or later, it deserves my attention, especially because I like Bass and it seems to be one of its qualities.
Wow, that's crazy. I wonder if that's just because of value. I know the D8000s are not known for their bass, mostly a neutral and clean headphone from what I've heard, so maybe the Fiio just matches up with his preferences better. Then again, maybe it's just better, no clue since I haven't listened to either

Jan 4, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #51 of 553
Wow, that's crazy. I wonder if that's just because of value. I know the D8000s are not known for their bass, mostly a neutral and clean headphone from what I've heard, so maybe the Fiio just matches up with his preferences better. Then again, maybe it's just better, no clue since I haven't listened to either
This just proves how much tastes and therefore opinions are subjective. The Final D8000 was a HP that I was interested in the past and in my research I came to understand that the bass is one of its strengths, a TOTL gem that can slip under the radar for those who love their lower-end range. Go figure! :dt880smile:

Jan 4, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #52 of 553
This just proves how much tastes and therefore opinions are subjective. The Final D8000 was a HP that I was interested in the past and in my research I came to understand that the bass is one of its strengths, a TOTL gem that can slip under the radar for those who love their lower-end range. Go figure! :dt880smile:
Well, if someone feels like sending me a pair to try out, I'll give you my impressions of it haha.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #53 of 553
I think I have found my final pair of headphones. Yes, I have had this thought many times over the years and then still ending up buying another pair out of sheer curiosity. But this time it is real.
I have been using the Audio Technica R70Xs exclusively, non-stop for over half a year already and I think they are just perfect. The only reason I will listen to my other pairs is because I don't wont to let them unused. Selling them is a hassle, not worth the time and effort.
I thought the R70Xs would be just another flavor, but they have become my reference in almost every sense: tonal balance, imaging, timbre and just sheer pleasure.
I've not heard the R70X, but have the ADX5000, which I think is terrific. I understand the R70X was the top of the line when it was released - and I see it seems to share some features with the ADX5000 (including a high impedance of 470ohms). Have you heard the ADX5000?

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #54 of 553
Some differences just picked up - the ADX5000 is actually 420ohms (not 470 as I suggested above), and the ADX5000 driver is specified 58mm (the R70X is 45). I see the R70X was the first set of open back phones made by AT - and very open at that. A glance at some reviews around release suggest the R70X might share some tonal characteristics with the ADX5000, but might be a little more 'forgiving'? I'd be very interested in impressions from anyone who has heard both.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #55 of 553
The only Senns I ever loved were PX100 but that was a long time ago... It died.

Now you've got me thinking I should dust off the PX-100s and show them a little love. Still have mine and they still work.

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #56 of 553
When he first got it, ranked it second place behind the D8000, in the - rank your Headphones thread.
Later on, ended by ranking it above it. Usually it goes the other way around. Honeymoon period aside, you get excited and astonished the first time you listen to that new headphone since it brings something fresh, but the more you listen, you will also start to discern all of its flaws and since we are talking about a 500€ headphone new, it has many for sure.
So someone that owns and likes the Final D8000, later on, ends by putting the inexpensive Fiio above it, as a overall HP, I don´t know but it certainly caught my eye and for the price, sooner or later, it deserves my attention, especially because I like Bass and it seems to be its biggest quality.

Space and imaging is better on the D8000, but overall he states the Fiio has the best bass he ever listened to, still with good detail, not unbalanced as one could think. Not dark, muddy or lacking resolution. It seems to scale well with good gear, so as long as you have this in mind, it could be a HP performing above its price range but serving tastes that gravitate towards the lower-end preference for sure.
I read his comments between the lines… like this….The Fiio isn’t near as good as the D8000 but I like the bass better as i am a basshead…so I rank it higher than the D8000.

I hope they are as good as he says…but I have my doubts.

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #57 of 553
But I bet for the price they are good…just have my doubts against the upper tier

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #58 of 553
I have a question for you guys. If you really dislike the look of a headphone….how much do you think that will apply to the overall perception of that headphone.

WHat I mean is …. I hate the look of several headphone….which some I owned for a short time. My 1266 Phi TC I couldnt get to fit to my liking….my HD800 felt so loose on my head I was afraid it would fall off….just a couple. I wonder if the look affected my psychology just a bit to make the fit a little worse than it really was. LOL. I think the Austrian Audio Composer is super cheap looking and ugly for a top tier headphone. I wonder if the fit will be off for me on those as well. LOL

I know it is shallow …. But I just wonder if I was looking for an excuse not to like them.

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #59 of 553
Hard to say how much the appearance affects you. I had the NAD HP50 for a while, and if you ever looked in the mirror while wearing them, you'd think you had just become one of the biggest dorks on the planet. They looked like you had attached a handle to your head. But they had great sound. If the build quality had been better, and the comfort improved by 10x, I would have kept them.

My other oddball headphone is the HE-R9, with its ridiculous angled cups. The color of the cups is pretty, but you do look like a doofus while wearing them. Their sound was quite poor out of the box. I've since fixed both the sound and looks with new wooden cups that I made, so I'm keeping these.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #60 of 553
I have a question for you guys. If you really dislike the look of a headphone….how much do you think that will apply to the overall perception of that headphone.

WHat I mean is …. I hate the look of several headphone….which some I owned for a short time. My 1266 Phi TC I couldnt get to fit to my liking….my HD800 felt so loose on my head I was afraid it would fall off….just a couple. I wonder if the look affected my psychology just a bit to make the fit a little worse than it really was. LOL. I think the Austrian Audio Composer is super cheap looking and ugly for a top tier headphone. I wonder if the fit will be off for me on those as well. LOL

I know it is shallow …. But I just wonder if I was looking for an excuse not to like them.
Yep, appearance matters. The 1266 phi are ugly AF, which is why I've never picked up a pair, and why the Diana actually may end up on my desk in MR form if I can find a good deal on one. My biggest complaint with the Empyrean was how goofy it looked. Focals, RAD-0s, DCA Expanse, etc. on the other hand are beautiful and that makes them more desirable no matter the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back