The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #16 of 553
When I listen to the S2's SE, I use them on my Feliks Audio Espressivio, OTL amp. That combo is special.
I've always wanted to hear a Feliks tube amp - so cool looking. I just wish they made an XLR4 amp under $1k. If they do, I haven't found it yet :dt880smile:

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #17 of 553
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I am really enjoying my Ambrosia's from Nectar Sound. Today I am running DCA Ether angled, leather pads. Currently running them on an iFi Pro iCAN with a bit of bass boost. Nice sound!

Last I heard they were selling for $399.00US. Great bang for the buck!

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #18 of 553
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I am really enjoying my Ambrosia's from Nectar Sound. Today I am running DCA Ether angled, leather pads. Currently running them on an iFi Pro iCAN with a bit of bass boost. Nice sound!

Last I heard they were selling for $399.00US. Great bang for the buck!
That's the HiveX/Bee guy right? I think I read your impressions of them on another thread a couple days ago. Which version of the Ether? I absolutely loved the Ether 2 and regret not keeping it. iFi has impressed me with the 2-3 of them that I've heard - definitely never had the chance to listen to the pro iCAN though. It was missing something I wanted when I was looking at getting one - can't remember what now - really nice system though.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #19 of 553
Welcome to the Drinking Fountain!

The Watercooler is a very well known thread for IEM discussion started by @Rockwell75, but there is nothing similar for full-size headphone enthusiasts. Therefor, on this day, the 4th of January, 2024, the Drinking Fountain has been created for just such a purpose. Everyone is invited as long as they maintain a friendly demeanor - everyone is entitled to sharing their opinion as long as they are polite about it. As @Rockwell75 said it best: "We are gathered here to share impressions, to participate in discussions, to cultivate love & enthusiasm for this hobby and to partake in the joy of fellowship and community."

Thread expectations: Thread discussions will be centered around full-size headphones and associated sources (DACs/AMPs/Streamers, etc.) There is no “off topic” here, some of the best discussions revolve around the moments we experience while listening to music - walking the dog, enjoying beautiful scenery, drinking coffee on the patio, or even attending a CANJAM. That said, please remain respectful at all times and remember that just because you don't like a set of headphones, someone else likely loves them. Please share photos, impressions, comparisons, discussions on sound, music, albums, and tuning. Also, please ask questions - this is the place to ask for information on which full-size headphones to buy and what may pair really well with them. Avoid double posting if possible and use the quote feature to reply to multiple people in one reply - this is not the place to get your Headphoneus Supremus status with a double or triple posting.

Build friends - build a family. This may be the only place people understand you love of the hobby.
Great initiative, looking forward to participate 👍

Really enjoying my HD660S2, via balanced out from the Jotunheim 2. In my opinion, this is the best of the 6xx line. I've listened to other, more expensive headphones, which in some cases are better than the S2. But as an all-rounder, they are great headphones.

Leo
Have you heard the HD600's? I have the 650's and while I enjoy them, they aren't that special to me. Using them with a tube amp makes it even worse, as they get too low mid/ upper bass centric for me.
I'm hoping the HD600's will be a bit more balanced, otherwise I want to give the 660S2 a try, for something with a bit more top end 🙂

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #20 of 553
That's the HiveX/Bee guy right? I think I read your impressions of them on another thread a couple days ago. Which version of the Ether? I absolutely loved the Ether 2 and regret not keeping it. iFi has impressed me with the 2-3 of them that I've heard - definitely never had the chance to listen to the pro iCAN though. It was missing something I wanted when I was looking at getting one - can't remember what now - really nice system though.
Yes it is. I had a set of the Bee's and was not impressed, but these are nice. As far as the Ether pads go, I just bought a set of used pads and not sure about generation.

As far as the iFi goes, I like adding a bit of bass to almost anything, so Bass Boost gets lots of work from me. Another sound effect option I like is 3D. Great with planar's.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 553
Yes it is. I had a set of the Bee's and was not impressed, but these are nice. As far as the Ether pads go, I just bought a set of used pads and not sure about generation.

As far as the iFi goes, I like adding a bit of bass to almost anything, so Bass Boost gets lots of work from me. Another sound effect option I like is 3D. Great with planar's.
Oh, I didn't mean the pads. There's at least 3 versions of the Ether (more if you count versions 1.1, etc. - the ones I know of are the Ether, Ether C Flow, and Ether 2 -oh, and technically I think the new E3 is the Ether 3. There may have been a non-C flow too, but I'm not sure.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #22 of 553

Have you heard the HD600's? I have the 650's and while I enjoy them, they aren't that special to me. Using them with a tube amp makes it even worse, as they get too low mid/ upper bass centric for me.
I'm hoping the HD600's will be a bit more balanced, otherwise I want to give the 660S2 a try, for something with a bit more top end 🙂
HD600 does sound more balanced, upper mids are perceived as a little less shoutty due to HD600 having more top end (bass amplitude is similar). But, now Ive “improved” HD650 tonal response and now much prefer to HD600 (stock).
IMG_1256.jpeg

IMG_1927.jpeg

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #23 of 553
The Jot 2 is excellent, I haven't gotten the chance to hear the HD660S2 yet, but the original HD600 underwhelmed me (the 700 was pretty good though, apparently it's related to the new 600's). I've heard the newer versions are much improved though and your feedback confirms that.
Some of my mehsurements and comparisons between new 650 and new 600. Suprisingly the bass is very similar in quantity and quality, the difference is highs.

And ya, Senn 6X0 are preferred from Jot2 balanced out as it seemingly helps clear up some of their boomy bass. Jot2 unbalanced out sounds too warm and does not help 6X0.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #24 of 553
Some of my mehsurements and comparisons between new 650 and new 600. Suprisingly the bass is very similar in quantity and quality, the difference is highs.

And ya, Senn 6X0 are preferred from Jot2 balanced out as it seemingly helps clear up some of their boomy bass. Jot2 unbalanced out sounds too warm and does not help 6X0.
Oh, wow, I was under the impression that the newer 600s enhanced the bass over the HD600 - like that was literally the purpose behind it by Sennheiser. Never got to listen to them on the Jot2 though. I think I was running them off a...HiBy RS8 or Cayin N8ii (I forget which one I had at the time) - mostly for kicks and giggles to see what the hype was about. I liked the Sendy Aiva more than the HD600 and the Beyer DT 1990 Pro. Maybe that's weird, no clue haha.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #25 of 553
Oh, wow, I was under the impression that the newer 600s enhanced the bass over the HD600 - like that was literally the purpose behind it by Sennheiser. Never got to listen to them on the Jot2 though. I think I was running them off a...HiBy RS8 or Cayin N8ii (I forget which one I had at the time) - mostly for kicks and giggles to see what the hype was about. I liked the Sendy Aiva more than the HD600 and the Beyer DT 1990 Pro. Maybe that's weird, no clue haha.
I find that the HD660S2's have more bass than the HD600/HD650. And then I removed the felt filters and I find them even better. Brought the mids forward a bit and accentuated the bass. First Senn's I have ever loved. :heart_eyes:

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #26 of 553
I was under the impression that the newer 600s enhanced the bass over the HD600 - like that was literally the purpose behind it by Sennheiser.
Enhanced in what way? ime, bass quantity has increased. As Im sure youre aware there have been small changes to drivers, baffle material, and pads over 600+650 production.

Anyways, why are you messing around with 6X0 when youre in totl megabucks territory (utopia, susvara, caldera)? Secret: I use my cheaper headphones far more often than the more expensive ones for various reasons including aspects of sound quality but mostly convenience.

First Senn's I have ever loved.
The only Senns I ever loved were PX100 but that was a long time ago... It died.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #27 of 553
HD600 does sound more balanced, upper mids are perceived as a little less shoutty due to HD600 having more top end (bass amplitude is similar). But, now Ive “improved” HD650 tonal response and now much prefer to HD600 (stock).
IMG_1256.jpeg
IMG_1927.jpeg
Interesting 🤔 Might look into that, if I decide to keep the HD 650's 👍

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #28 of 553

I'm selling my 650, 6xx, 660s1. I'm keeping the 600 and s2. I love the 600. There is just something about it. Clarity, , balanced in terms of timbre, surprising to me as I've had the 600 for only 4 months or so. I didn't think that they would be so strikingly different from the 650's. Just my experience ....

Leo

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #29 of 553
I'm selling my 650, 6xx, 660s1. I'm keeping the 600 and s2. I love the 600. There is just something about it. Clarity, , balanced in terms of timbre, surprising to me as I've had the 600 for only 4 months or so. I didn't think that they would be so strikingly different from the 650's. Just my experience ....

Leo
I know one guy which directly compared the 660 S2 with the 58Xs and preferred the latter, although the S2 is also a good pair of headphones :L3000:

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #30 of 553
Great initiative. I was chatting yesterday with @Garney, and we were saying that a Watercooler thread for headphones would be nice to have. What a coincidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back