The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Jan 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #2,491 of 3,746
Quote:
JVC reminds me of FujiFilm in the camera world. They like to take the common technology and put their own slant on it. Good for them.

Yes, they're dual 6mm drivers, if I recall correctly. There's a brass ring stabilizer around both drivers; one is straight up mylar, the other is carbon-coated. Sounds like two of the FXC in one! I listened to the FXT90 for a while before I bought my BA200. They're not my preferred signature but they're very fun and engaging --- definitely the poor mans' FX700. I'm not sure if the one I listened to were burnt-in completely, but the sound was pretty grainy. My BA200 is not nearly as fun, but is closer to my preferred sound. Imagine the BA200 as a love child of the UM3x/W4 but with dual driver sensibility and pricing. I've been writing a review, but just haven't had time to finish it. I haven't compared the SB against the BA200 yet, but I will say this about the BA200 --- it's for those people that kind of don't know what they want yet. It's intimate, yet doesn't feel too constrained, it has a forward midrange, but isn't unnaturally forward, has decent detailing, but is pretty smooth at the same time. Contradictory, huh?

FAD was here for a meet/greet and Q&A session at the official retailer here, X-Wind (now part of Jaben). Final Audio Taiwan has pictures on their Facebook page. There used to be video, but I don't know where it went. I think they were getting ready for the Tokyo headphone festival at the same time, so they took their just finished headphone along to show off.

FXC51 has too much mid bass and not enough mid-mids, this is how to equalize it for a more reference sound.

If the FXT-90 uses the same drivers, even if they have brass rings and filters applied, JVC must have worked really hard on that one to make it sound linear and refined if it does.

Thanks for the info on the BA200 that one is quite interesting, have you tried the Sony XBA-4 yet??

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #2,492 of 3,746

Hahaha great story.

Little fluffy clouds.

Quote:
In other news, a coworker was curious about my portable stereo (iPod video -> Leckerton -> HD 25-1 II).

No idea what would make a good demo track, but The Orb's Adventures in the Underworld was handy, so I cued that up and let him listen while I stepped out on an errand.

When I got back, he was still at my desk. Little fluffy clouds, little fluffy clouds, little, lit lit little little lit lit little fluffy clouds in his eyes.

I let him plug the phones into the iPod's headphone socket, and then back into the Leckerton. He compared the sound quality. Hmmm, he said. Hmm.

I may have corrupted somebody. This kind of makes me feel bad. I really don't think he's ready for the pricetags involved.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #2,494 of 3,746
Yeah, the thing about the FXT90 is that it doesn't sound too refined to my ears, but overall it's really great to listen to. Maybe the drivers are a bit upgraded... who knows, but I don't think so. My guess is that JVC saw that these drivers would be great to apply to a microdriver setting, and shoved them into the FXC series to leverage mass production. Basically, the FXC and FXT models comprise JVC's low end and probably signify their direction in the future. The FX500/700 were conceived during their woody craze, where they made practically all their products with wood cones; I guess they're into this now... geez, what material fetishists! haha

The BA200 is really nice, especially if you can get it at a good price. No, haven't tried the XBAs yet... I've been too busy to hunt for them.

Quote:
FXC51 has too much mid bass and not enough mid-mids, this is how to equalize it for a more reference sound. | If the FXT-90 uses the same drivers, even if they have brass rings and filters applied, JVC must have worked really hard on that one to make it sound linear and refined if it does. | Thanks for the info on the BA200 that one is quite interesting, have you tried the Sony XBA-4 yet??

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #2,495 of 3,746
iBasso makes a range of amps. Some of them are interesting and I wouldn't turn down an offer to try them.

I was considering one of the models (I forget which, offhand) but settled on the Leckerton because the price advantage wasn't great (after iBasso's shipping from China was calculated in), and a domestic manufacturer means better access to support and repairs.

Since you're not in the States, some of the reasons why Leckerton was a better option for me won't apply for you.

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #2,496 of 3,746

Even if I think the FXC51 can sound 'amazing' specifically with techno music, bass, detail, intimacy etc... they really aren't refined at all and violins sound more like a Casio Erhu..........

I'm not interested int he FXT-90 anymore lol...

Panda / Hizaki-san you need to change IEM
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #2,498 of 3,746

Quote:

My triangle hate/love affair with the EX600 and EX700 has ended this is tragic.

They were like apple and cinnamon now I only have an apple ...

Is that a good thing or a bad thing???

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #2,500 of 3,746

Quote:

It's bad because I don't know which dynamic driver IEM is supposed to replace my EX700.

I've tried all the Sony's, all the Hifimans, tried GR07, what's left...........

I dunno THIS maybe

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #2,504 of 3,746

Quote:

Yeah I'm highly considering the FX500 and FX700

FX500 is much more aggressive on the treble, so I'd be careful if I were you on that one. FX700 is more refined with a bit more mid bass added for a more fun sound. FX500 has more sub bass. Also FX700 can go to higher volumes without distorting while the FX500 drivers can't handle it and distort. I know you like to do crazy **** like that Kiteki :wink:.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #2,505 of 3,746

Quote:

Yeah I'm highly considering the FX500 and FX700

What to get next is really driving you crazy isn't it? Personally I'm of the opinion why worry about it. You only live once just experiment and use it as an opportunity to have some guilty fun. With your knowledge of what goes on underneath the hood of most IEM's and what a hi fi sound should sound like it's only a matter of time before you come across something new that will fascinate you. Run with it kid. Time to throw my X10 on Marilyn and chill out to A State Of Trance by Armin Van Buuren. The X10 is far from my usual sound signature of choice and it has it's faults but faults aside it was a nice surprise. I like it enough I'm wondering if one day I might be able to get it reshelled into a custom. The form factor in my opinion sucks for a flagship IEM. Experiment kitki, you'll thank yourself for doing it later on down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back