The diary entries of a little girl! ~ | ~ Latest memoir: oıpnɐ ןɐuıɟ
Jan 6, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #2,461 of 3,746

I should probably continue my spiel on CIEM's by saying that I didn't think the sound quality of the UM Miracle was exceptional as in note definition, realism, finesse... I suppose it was really not far above the ER-4 or TF10 in a "pure note" sense, nothing spectacular there, from my limited listening.

The part where it was very different from ER-4 and TF10 was like... the imaging, the details of the music and the note activity, that's where I felt it surpasssed any headphone or IEM I'd heard.

However the caveat is I don't know if that was real detail or artificial detail that is the slightly confusing part.

Anyway my 'sonic memory' of that is very hazy now I am just repeating my thoughts, I will do a 4-way comparison of the JH11/13/16 and CX6 later this month if all goes well.

I don't know why I'm so interested in sound anyway I just wanted the CX6 and T5p and was going to sell everything else and leave it at that and that didn't happen. =/

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #2,463 of 3,746

MuppetFace

$5,200.00 Stax SR009 Open Over-Ears
$5,192.12 Final Audio Design [yet-to-be-named full-size headphone] Closed Over-Ears
$2,749.00 Ultrasone Edition 10 Open Over-Ears
$2,030.18 Fostex TH900 Closed Over-Ears
$2,030.16 FitEar Private C435 Custom-Fit IEMs
$1,957.53 TakeT H2+ Open Over-Ears
$1,945.00 Audez'e LCD-3 Open Over-Ears
$1,799.95 Sennheiser HD800 Open Over-Ears
$1,799.00 HEAUDIO Jade Open Over-Ears

I just noticed you have/had 6(?) of these nine and you're considering the FitEar and TH900 ......... there is only 1 missing!!!

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #2,464 of 3,746

Quote:
Nah she is Jewish-American.

Or are you talking to me?... I'm Euro-Australian.

Brisbane is cool btw, Cheers.

I clicked on the first page so it's you, me thinks.  I thought so since you seems to be reading Chinese. :p

Brisbane is ok, definitely not as lively as some of the other places. hah

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #2,465 of 3,746

Oh, I cheat and use online translation to read Chinese, I think it's fun, I love looking at the internet in different languages.

If you visit Melbourne there is Jaben and addictedtoaudio here, and Chinatown on little bourke st. and in Box Hill.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #2,466 of 3,746
Quote:

Meanwhile you've got Sony which has some pretty solid roots in audio and despite making a lot of low end crud, still has a pretty well resourced R&D department and willingness to try some new things. They are squaring off against brands like Audio Technica in the Japanese market and the competition would be intense. They have the kind of money and measuring tools to sit around and really look at a problem, and then come up with new approaches, some of which have become quite common: ie, dynamic drivers mounted parallel to the ear, bio-cellulose or liquid crystal drivers, or in this case developing their own BA's.

A lot of times these 'innovations' are just marketing guff, but I think they have enough hits that a new product announcement from them is always a little exciting. I look at my Sony NEX-5N camera for instance and every time I have the damn thing in my hands I wonder why they got the formula so right over all their competitors.

Ummm I think you forgot how they invented the CD player and the cassette tape walkman.

Liquid crystal is boring they used to use sapphire and diamond coated drivers...

Btw have you seen the Sony electrostatic?

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #2,468 of 3,746

Quote:

Oh, I cheat and use online translation to read Chinese, I think it's fun, I love looking at the internet in different languages.

If you visit Melbourne there is Jaben and addictedtoaudio here, and Chinatown on little bourke st. and in Box Hill.

I've never been to Melbourne, I've only dealt with Josh at Jaben, will do when and if I visit Melbourne, haha!

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2,470 of 3,746

Quote:
Yeah, but how many will there be? Android comes with a million choices of resolution, CPU power and whatnot. There won't be a huge game industry behind that.

Hm, the Nexus might have a Wolfson DAC as well, like the original Galaxy S. With Voodoo kernel drivers, you can access the Wolfsons features ..... which supposedly turns it into a decent player (minus the battery a real player has). Ray? No idea what it is ... i need tests done by people like NwAvGuy to have more faith in a test. "Good" ... you know how kids love basspumping audiocrap .. they also call it good :) Neutrons a player app talked about often. I'm not sure what's so great about it, apart from being able to play gapless. but I have to check myself.

the nexus galaxy uses a yamaha dac

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #2,471 of 3,746
I second james' opinion that the SS is by far the the best FAD out. The SB isn't nearly as impressive; I even found it a bit boomy and unrefined next to the SS. However, the SS, like the stasi it's (not quite) named after, is pretty ruthless with the music. I like that quality to my headphones, though, and you seem not to mind.

Quote:

I will make sure I listen to the FI-BA-SS, that one is on my list and I have high hopes for it even if I've only heard one Final Audio so far and it was just so~so from my perspective (FI-BA-SB), I was quite enjoying it though and it actually sounded quite similiar to how I expected thanks to Shigzeo's review.

I need to read Chinese everyday and I still use translate to read things, because I'm lazy and would rather read the broken English
biggrin.gif

Quote:

There's a Sony electrostatic??? I actually think that Sony can pull off the micro dynamic driver well if they put their mind to it. I know they're all about the side-mounted driver, but my personal opinion is that they can achieve a cost-effective means of achieving BA-level clarity by using their LC polymer diaphragms on the small 6mm drivers found in stuff like the MD Trumpet, Shroom, and EPH100. These drivers are already pretty quick and detailed, but my guess is that it's tough to get such a small diaphragm to perform with good acoustic accuracy. If they use an LC diaphragm, that might change. We might be able to finally have a dynamic driver with BA speed and less of that phase-shift impedance shenanigans. Mass-producing these little drivers might then drive the cost of LC diaphragms down. Then again, LC has only been used with the EX1000 AFAIK, so maybe they won't be so keen on using that technology for something as pedestrian as a micro-driver IEM. Looking ahead, there will come a day when all these things are irrelevant anyways, and earphones will evolve into a supradermal electrode that stimulates our CN VIII directly. Soundstage, imaging, tuning, will all go out the window, and then SQ will have to depend on whose DSP abilities are better. We'll all have hearing aids, in that sense. By the time these products come to the market, we'll need hearing aids anyways!

Quote:
a_recording said:

Meanwhile you've got Sony which has some pretty solid roots in audio and despite making a lot of low end crud, still has a pretty well resourced R&D department and willingness to try some new things. They are squaring off against brands like Audio Technica in the Japanese market and the competition would be intense. They have the kind of money and measuring tools to sit around and really look at a problem, and then come up with new approaches, some of which have become quite common: ie, dynamic drivers mounted parallel to the ear, bio-cellulose or liquid crystal drivers, or in this case developing their own BA's.

A lot of times these 'innovations' are just marketing guff, but I think they have enough hits that a new product announcement from them is always a little exciting. I look at my Sony NEX-5N camera for instance and every time I have the damn thing in my hands I wonder why they got the formula so right over all their competitors.

Quote:
Ummm I think you forgot how they invented the CD player and the cassette tape walkman. Liquid crystal is boring they used to use sapphire and diamond coated drivers... Btw have you seen the Sony electrostatic?

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #2,472 of 3,746
Quote:
the nexus galaxy uses a yamaha dac

Dude... I linked A PHOTO of THE INSIDE of the Nexus with a clear shot of the DAC CHIP made by Texan INstruments!!

ALSO I don't get it is the opamp integrated into these power saving DAC chips or what???

I looked at the entire Nexus board no opamp.

p.s. the Sony Ericsson "LIVE WITH WALKMAN" is really really cheap.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #2,473 of 3,746

Quote:
I second james' opinion that the SS is by far the the best FAD out. The SB isn't nearly as impressive; I even found it a bit boomy and unrefined next to the SS. However, the SS, like the stasi it's (not quite) named after, is pretty ruthless with the music. I like that quality to my headphones, though, and you seem not to mind.

There's a Sony electrostatic??? I actually think that Sony can pull off the micro dynamic driver well if they put their mind to it. I know they're all about the side-mounted driver, but my personal opinion is that they can achieve a cost-effective means of achieving BA-level clarity by using their LC polymer diaphragms on the small 6mm drivers found in stuff like the MD Trumpet, Shroom, and EPH100. These drivers are already pretty quick and detailed, but my guess is that it's tough to get such a small diaphragm to perform with good acoustic accuracy. If they use an LC diaphragm, that might change. We might be able to finally have a dynamic driver with BA speed and less of that phase-shift impedance shenanigans. Mass-producing these little drivers might then drive the cost of LC diaphragms down. Then again, LC has only been used with the EX1000 AFAIK, so maybe they won't be so keen on using that technology for something as pedestrian as a micro-driver IEM. Looking ahead, there will come a day when all these things are irrelevant anyways, and earphones will evolve into a supradermal electrode that stimulates our CN VIII directly. Soundstage, imaging, tuning, will all go out the window, and then SQ will have to depend on whose DSP abilities are better. We'll all have hearing aids, in that sense. By the time these products come to the market, we'll need hearing aids anyways!

Thanks tomcy2000, very good post as usual.

The FI-BA-SB was a bit boomy, flat and lacking tonality next to my EX700, it also had some sizzle IIRC, but I still liked it quite a lot overall, in a very similiar way to what Shigzeo says in his review at touchmyapps.com I think it's called.

The Trumpet, Shroom and EPH100 6mm drivers are all probably boring next to the 6mm carbon nano-fibre (or smt) JVC FXC51 drivers but no one listens to me because they cost $25 in America...
biggrin.gif

Actually the JVC FXC71 is the improved version with a brass ring to minimize distortion, and anyway I only listen to the FXC51 with techno type music, for some reason it's very captivating and I start writing crazy stuff.

For some reason I don't enjoy it outside though only at my computer, then again the K2 SP sounded even worse outside, it was dreadful like walking through a graveyard.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #2,474 of 3,746

Quote:
I'm not there, yet .... I just won an auction for an LG Optimus 2x .... it should have a Wolfson and on XDA I've seen people saying it supports voodoo ... now comes the task to install a stock or CM ROM with voodoo support .... and I'm scared. Don't want to brick it.....

Nah, its hard to brick it.  OneClickRoot it :wink:

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #2,475 of 3,746

Quote:
Nah, its hard to brick it.  OneClickRoot it :wink:

I followed this really long tutorial on xdadevelopers only to find that I was using the O2x files not the G2x... well I got it to work in the end and I haven't had any problems since. This was in September btw.

I do have this annoying (and potentially damaging) problem with Voodoo. Whenever I have Map Volume Keys and everything under it checked, at first music playback is at an acceptable volume and hiss is barely noticeable. However, after I pause the music, as soon as the screen blacks out, the high-pitched noise resumes, and when I unlock the screen and play the music, it's like as if Voodoo wasn't working at all (volume if Voodoo wasn't installed) until I press any volume button, then it drops back to the original volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back