The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 9, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #27,572 of 35,343
I had been looking out for these for awhile too ever since I gave up my M2s to my wife. I just recently bought a refurb pair off of a reseller (Secondipity) on Rakuten along with a 20% off coupon. Normal refurb price is $299. With coupon, it brought down to $239 (free shipping) which seemed more reasonable. I'm in California, so I also had to pay sales tax. I'm used to refurbs looking like new in box, but my refurb came without any of the original packaging...just the case, the HPs, and cables. Functionally and cosmetically, everything is otherwise perfect.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #27,573 of 35,343
I had been looking out for these for awhile too ever since I gave up my M2s to my wife. I just recently bought a refurb pair off of a reseller (Secondipity) on Rakuten along with a 20% off coupon. Normal refurb price is $299. With coupon, it brought down to $239 (free shipping) which seemed more reasonable. I'm in California, so I also had to pay sales tax. I'm used to refurbs looking like new in box, but my refurb came without any of the original packaging...just the case, the HPs, and cables. Functionally and cosmetically, everything is otherwise perfect.

For the record, I've received nothing but great refurbished product from Secondipity. Over the last three years, I've purchased Sony MDR-1000x, MDR-Z7 headphones and a Sony A6500 camera and all have been like new. They've always shipped quickly. I've never had to deal with customer service for returns or issues however.

Jan 10, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #27,574 of 35,343

For the record, I've received nothing but great refurbished product from Secondipity. Over the last three years, I've purchased Sony MDR-1000x, MDR-Z7 headphones and a Sony A6500 camera and all have been like new. They've always shipped quickly. I've never had to deal with customer service for returns or issues however.

Here's a link to their listings, for those interested:
https://www.rakuten.com/search/secondipity/

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #27,577 of 35,343
Google announced today that its Chromecast Audio device is being discontinued.

I feel a bit like I did when Logitech shut Squeezebox down. There are certainly a lot more options now....but audio out jacks are rare in the Google Assistant/Smart Speaker environment...and the CCA's Toslink optical outputs are almost unique.

For those who want one before they are gone Google and others are closing them out at $15.

UPDATE: Out of Stock at the Google store and Google Store Ebay.

NOTE: Google Charges for shipping below $35, but is also selling direct on eBay for $15 each, no shipping charges.

Thanks to RKW on Head-fi's CCA thread for the heads-up.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #27,578 of 35,343

I feel a bit like I did when Logitech shut Squeezebox down. There are certainly a lot more options now....but audio out jacks are rare in the Google Assistant/Smart Speaker environment...and the CCA's Toslink optical outputs are almost unique.

For those who want one before they are gone Google and others are closing them out at $15.

NOTE: Google Charges for shipping below $35, but is also selling direct on eBay for $15 each, no shipping charges.

Will these work without the app? Because I imagine they would abandon that next.

Also, does it have mics in it where it will be spying on all of my conversations? Google likes to do that sort of thing.

Sorry if it’s dumb questions. I don’t really know too much about the chromecast audio product.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #27,579 of 35,343

In what ways can you utilize the chromecast?

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #27,581 of 35,343
Will these work without the app? Because I imagine they would abandon that next.

Also, does it have mics in it where it will be spying on all of my conversations? Google likes to do that sort of thing.

Sorry if it’s dumb questions. I don’t really know too much about the chromecast audio product.

It uses the same Google Home App as all other Google Smart Devices. I do think there will probably be no future firmware updates...but it works very well now. As Ken G points out you do not have to use the app...as it shows up as a Spotify Connect device, on Airplay, and DLNA.

It does NOT have any mics...which is as you state, probably exactly why they are being discontinued. It plays music only basically. It does not help you shop.

Blueshound: Chromecast Audio (different from a regular Chromecast device) is primarily a way to stream audio to an existing system...anything with a stereo analog or Toslink input. It also works GREAT as a partner to a Google Home or Google Mini...because you can designate the CCA as your music playback device. Then, control using your voice...or with whatever smartphone app. I use mine for Spotify 90% of the time...but like that I can ask my Google Mini to play my stuff, and control the volume.

A prolonged discussion of how this all works is not appropriate for a deals thread. But, there is a lot of information on Head-fi's CCA Thread.

Also, there is very recent performance measurement of both the Analog and Toslink Outputs on Audio Science Review's CCA thread. I am not an advanced techy...but from that thread I do not believe you get compression with fast WiFi...so perhaps do not need an ethernet adapter.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #27,582 of 35,343
People are hooking them directly to ethernet cable and using digital optical out to dac. This removes compression and is supposed to sound comparable to $500 endpoints. A ~$15 UGreen ethernet adapter is required. The adapter has
#'s 30985 and 69573039858 on the package.

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #27,583 of 35,343
People are hooking them directly to ethernet cable and using digital optical out to dac. This removes compression and is supposed to sound comparable to $500 endpoints. A ~$15 UGreen ethernet adapter is required. The adapter has
#'s 30985 and 69573039858 on the package.

Agreed. You could easily hook it up to a Chord Mojo and have a semi-portable mini-streamer for music. Also if you’re a non-believer in “digital bits all being the same” you can purchase one of the ifi spdif ipurifier device to clean up the signal.

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #27,584 of 35,343
My Chromecast Audio is connected on optical Toslink to my DAC on the stereo system at home. I use it as a convenient way to cast wireless audio from my phone in high quality. I can cast Spotify, Tidal and many other apps from my phone at full digital resolution without getting on the computer and sending it out on USB audio. So for me it's a wireless convenience like using Bluetooth, but in much higher quality.

Jan 11, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #27,585 of 35,343

Users who are viewing this thread

Back