The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Sep 30, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #17,506 of 35,336
I just want to confirm that the AKG K712 I purchased from AWD is made in Slovakia. No wonder there are quite a few of them in AWD for 280, though some may have some sort of ding or scratch but the one i got looks BRAND NEW and the box only looks slightly dented on the corners. Other than that, brand new for 280 + tax isnt bad but this is where it makes my K7XX purchase seem a bit, regretful? maybe not that bad but K712 and K7XX differences are a bit obvious though in the sound signature, K712 seems to have a wee bit more decay and low end is a bit more emphasized. Other than that, they sound quite similar. The real problem for me though is that when I use the Caying C5, the K712 doesnt rattle with the headphone shaker test tone, even at max vol and low gain while the K7XX does rattle going slightly pass by the 6 mark.

Not sure if I should be of a concern but then again, going pass the 6 mark is a bit too loud and nobody should be listening within those volumes for a long time.

I just feel like the K712 still gives me more.....sense of security that they are well built compared to the K7XX. Just wanted to give my 2 cents here, in case anyone wants to try and get a K712 on AWD. I dont think there are any Austrian made ones left.....maybe there are, if you get lucky.

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #17,507 of 35,336
And here we have people saying they're the exact phone. Mind you people who probably never had both.

Anyways your finds were similar to mine and mine were made in Austria. Now switch the pads and see if it's the pads causing the tingles.

I just want to confirm that the AKG K712 I purchased from AWD is made in Slovakia. No wonder there are quite a few of them in AWD for 280, though some may have some sort of ding or scratch but the one i got looks BRAND NEW and the box only looks slightly dented on the corners. Other than that, brand new for 280 + tax isnt bad but this is where it makes my K7XX purchase seem a bit, regretful? maybe not that bad but K712 and K7XX differences are a bit obvious though in the sound signature, K712 seems to have a wee bit more decay and low end is a bit more emphasized. Other than that, they sound quite similar. The real problem for me though is that when I use the Caying C5, the K712 doesnt rattle with the headphone shaker test tone, even at max vol and low gain while the K7XX does rattle going slightly pass by the 6 mark.

Not sure if I should be of a concern but then again, going pass the 6 mark is a bit too loud and nobody should be listening within those volumes for a long time.

I just feel like the K712 still gives me more.....sense of security that they are well built compared to the K7XX. Just wanted to give my 2 cents here, in case anyone wants to try and get a K712 on AWD. I dont think there are any Austrian made ones left.....maybe there are, if you get lucky.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #17,508 of 35,336
And here we have people saying they're the exact phone. Mind you people who probably never had both.

Anyways your finds were similar to mine and mine were made in Austria. Now switch the pads and see if it's the pads causing the tingles.

ok this is weird.....I switched the pads on both and listening to both right now...

Seems the K7XX pads on the K712, the bass isnt as emphasized anymore but raise the treble a bit, mids are still there though. The K7XX with K712 pads seem to have better bass emphasis, the mids sound better than when having the stock pads. The highs are sound a wee bit harsh. Im still a noob at this though so you could take my opinion with a bit of salt and pepper.

But the K712, regardless of the switch of pads....still sound better. The K7XX isnt as refined as I thought it would be...

I want to say again that they do sound similar but not the same. I would say that the K7XX has 90% of the K712 sound....maybe a bit more but that 10% does make a difference in refinement of the sound with the k712.

I know I shouldn't be posting about this in here and more in the K712 or K7XX thread but if you think that the 80 dollar difference is worth the refinement, go for it. If not, the K7XX is still a good sounding headphone for 200 bucks but some of us (including me) want as much of the best quality we can get, even if its paying a bit more, would still get the K712 over the K7XX.

So if you are on the fence about the purchase of a K7XX or K712....at least I made it a bit easier for you guys....or harder? lol

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #17,509 of 35,336
While this is a deals thread, I think everyone in audio knows all about diminishing returns and on the other side of that what we pay for subtleties in sound differences.

IMO the extra $80-120 is well worth the subtleties of gain in the k712. It's not a color upgrade folks, although the orange trim with orange chord is very nice. And if that doesn't persuade you in the subjective dept, for the extra money you get an extra coiled "pro" cable and a more comfy pad.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #17,510 of 35,336
On the subject of the K712 Pro, there's one on ebay right now for $265 that's made in Austria: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K712-Reference-Headphones-/171954552875?hash=item28094a402b

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #17,512 of 35,336
They don't seem to say it in the ad, but the Sennheiser MM450X do have Apt-X.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #17,516 of 35,336

Unless you are wearing them waaaayy down below your neck, you won't see them.

Other than that, I don't see the relevance of your comment...

Cheers.

That doesn't change the fact that those cans are still ugly as hell. It was relevant for me..

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #17,517 of 35,336
Those also don't get the best reviews, they are last gen BT headphones, only the 550's received positive initial reviews but have since twindled to mediocre.  I don't personally care about the aesthetics... if I did it would be hard to own the HE-500's and MDR-7550 and I love those things.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #17,518 of 35,336
You guys are so harsh when it comes to aesthetics. It seems like if it isn't vintage looking, made out of wood, or black-on-black-on-black, it's objectively ugly.
Well, it's kinda understandable considering Head-Fi's demography...

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #17,519 of 35,336
  You guys are so harsh when it comes to aesthetics. It seems like if it isn't vintage looking, made out of wood, or black-on-black-on-black, it's objectively ugly.

Nah they're really actually just ugly lol. Doesn't have to fit any of those criteria you mentioned to look aesthetically pleasing, but it also shouldn't look like pxc 310

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #17,520 of 35,336

For home use it's SQ, Comfort and Aesthetics a distant 3rd. Something I'm going to wear in public? Call me vain or not devoted but aesthetics moves way up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back