The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
May 27, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #14,941 of 35,346
the msrp of the k7xx is based on the original msrp of the k702 65th anniversaries as the k7xx are based on that model. now the current selling price of the k702 65th annies are lower than its msrp, but I don't personally have an issue with the approach that massdrop has taken with this. either way, the k7xx punches much higher than its price point.

old msrps aren't really that important in deciding whether a pair of headphones fit your sonic preferences and have good sound quality. i've found that price points don't always correlate will with sound quality, so I personally disregard all manufacturer msrp numbers and assign my own number based on my assessment of the competing alternatives on the market & how well the headphones fit my tastes. hahah =P

This is a consumer protection issue. You may be old enough to remember, but retailers routinely would mark items as being a certain percentage off, but the item would never ever sell for what the retailer was saying its regular price was. Consumer protection laws were then passed (at leas in California) that said that at some point the item had to sell for a regular price if the retailer was going to mark it as selling for that price. This is why you will see some sites , like monoprice, use the term "compare at price" rather than regular price.

MSRP means something. I'm not at my computer now, so I cannot look up the consumer law, but MassDrop is a retail establishment and they are being dis entice to their average consumer when they suggest something regularly sells for more than it does, only to then show a false and inflated discount rate. MassDrop should simply change the term MSRP to Compare At and they would be less deceptive.

As for MassDrop needing to research actual MSRP, yes, they should. It's not that much work, and if they post incorrect information that falsely inflates their posted discount rate, that is deceptive. It important for folks in this deal forum to understand that, so I feel it's relevant for this thread.

One more note. A number of counties in California sues Overstock for this very issue, and won. Overstock is appealing the $6M+ award against it. http://www.wired.com/2014/01/overstock-price-ruling/

May 27, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #14,942 of 35,346
Annies were made in Austria, so shouldn't be compared directly to k7xx from China, $650 is an inflated msrp for sure, not the first time massdrop has done this (or many other retailers). Personally I don't care, I don't even look at the msrp as I always assume it's inflated (even true msrp prices can be hugely higher than street prices anyway), I only care about the drop price and how other products compare at that price. Surely most people are smart enough to do the same.

May 27, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #14,943 of 35,346

old msrps aren't really that important in deciding whether a pair of headphones fit your sonic preferences and have good sound quality. i've found that price points don't always correlate will with sound quality, so I personally disregard all manufacturer msrp numbers and assign my own number based on my assessment of the competing alternatives on the market & how well the headphones fit my tastes. hahah =P

It's important and it's not about sound quality, it's about law.

May 27, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #14,944 of 35,346
thank you for your feedback. I guess I was looking for an even cheaper recommendation (such as Woo Wee here paired w/ a speaker amp), but it is always good to get recommendations from an experienced member. at makes me more comfortable passing on the sr-009 as investing too much in a dedicated electrostax rig is a road I want to go down atm. cheers!

Yeah, I wouldn't go with just an energizer for the 009s unless you have firm plans to upgrade to a good stat amp in the future. You're not going to get the most out of them, not even close, as they're pretty finicky about that.

May 27, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #14,945 of 35,346
If you're stepping up to Stax 009's, I'd be looking for a proper amp.  All I can tell you is that the KGST I had made does an exceptional job with my 007A's and while it is not inexpensive, it won't break the bank like many of the other good options.  I like a bit of color and love the 007's as well as my TH900's.  Wouldn't touch HD800's as a reference, and it's why I went for the 007's vs the 009's.

Only other thing to be concerned about is if you happen to draw a pair that had a channel imbalance.  If you do, plan on eating the shipping back and forth to Japan to have the seller make it right.  Ask me how I know...

HS

May 27, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #14,947 of 35,346
       Searched a few pages haven't seen any deals on IEMs. Anyone see anything under $50? Thanks

http://www.lendmeurears.com/vsd3-grey-non-detachable-version/

and many other models of VSD on the site..and also on amazon.

May 27, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #14,948 of 35,346
This is a consumer protection issue. You may be old enough to remember, but retailers routinely would mark items as being a certain percentage off, but the item would never ever sell for what the retailer was saying its regular price was. Consumer protection laws were then passed (at leas in California) that said that at some point the item had to sell for a regular price if the retailer was going to mark it as selling for that price. This is why you will see some sites , like monoprice, use the term "compare at price" rather than regular price.

MSRP means something. I'm not at my computer now, so I cannot look up the consumer law, but MassDrop is a retail establishment and they are being dis entice to their average consumer when they suggest something regularly sells for more than it does, only to then show a false and inflated discount rate. MassDrop should simply change the term MSRP to Compare At and they would be less deceptive.

As for MassDrop needing to research actual MSRP, yes, they should. It's not that much work, and if they post incorrect information that falsely inflates their posted discount rate, that is deceptive. It important for folks in this deal forum to understand that, so I feel it's relevant for this thread.

One more note. A number of counties in California sues Overstock for this very issue, and won. Overstock is appealing the $6M+ award against it. http://www.wired.com/2014/01/overstock-price-ruling/

I don't know why this matters to us in the Deals Discussion thread. We care about the price we are getting, not MSRP. :)

May 27, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #14,949 of 35,346
In conjunction with Vsonic's 16th Anniversary and the upcoming Great Singapore Sale, we are having a 1 month sale on various Vsonic VSD3/S colors

VSD3 Grey Usual Price: SGD 68 Discounted Price: SGD 52 Buy Now!
VSD3 Illum Green Usual Price: SGD 68 Discounted Price: SGD 52 Buy Now!
VSD3 Pink Usual Price: SGD 68 Discounted Price: SGD 52 Buy Now!
VSD3 Red-Blue Usual Price: SGD 68 Discounted Price: SGD 59.90 Buy Now!

VSD3S Illum Green Usual Price: SGD 68 Discounted Price: SGD 52 Buy Now!
VSD3S Pink Usual Price: SGD 68 Discounted Price: SGD 52 Buy Now!

We are having a discount at our Amazon Store too!

VSD3 Grey Usual Price: USD 55 Discounted Price: USD 39.90 Buy Now!
VSD3 Illum Green Usual Price: USD 55 Discounted Price: USD 39.90 Buy Now!
VSD3 Pink Usual Price: USD 55 Discounted Price: USD 39.90 Buy Now!
VSD3 Red-Blue Usual Price: USD 55 Discounted Price: USD 45 Buy Now!

VSD3S Illum Green Usual Price: USD 55 Discounted Price: USD 39.90 Buy Now!
VSD3S Pink Usual Price: USD 55 Discounted Price: USD 39.90 Buy Now!

Copyright © 2015 Lend Me UR ears, All rights reserved.

unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

May 27, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #14,950 of 35,346
  Annies were made in Austria, so shouldn't be compared directly to k7xx from China, $650 is an inflated msrp for sure, not the first time massdrop has done this (or many other retailers). Personally I don't care, I don't even look at the msrp as I always assume it's inflated (even true msrp prices can be hugely higher than street prices anyway), I only care about the drop price and how other products compare at that price. Surely most people are smart enough to do the same.

While I appreciate your optimism, I think it's misplaced.  If price anchoring didn't work effectively, people wouldn't do it.  The important thing to realize is that it's actually something your brain does automatically.  If you're not actively looking for it, it's very easy to miss.

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/07/27/anchoring-effect/

"The Misconception: You rationally analyze all factors before making a choice or determining value.
The Truth: Your first perception lingers in your mind, affecting later perceptions and decisions."

That said, I agree that Massdrop is terrible about their MSRP anchoring, but since they're so blatant about it, it's actually quite easy to catch.  I always use Amazon for a "sense check" on Massdrop prices whenever I see something that I think looks like a good price.  MD is still usually cheaper, but almost never by as much as they claim.

May 27, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #14,951 of 35,346
I don't know why this matters to us in the Deals Discussion thread. We care about the price we are getting, not MSRP.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't want to belabor the point, the relevance is for people not as tuned in to the price of headphones, as some newbies here might not be. It's pretty easy using the web, and tools like CamelCamelCamel to research pricing of most headphones. Specialized model, like the MD AKG 7xx are harder. Having MD put MSRP of $650 is arguably deceptive since that particular model is only sold through MD for $200, and on the used market for a few bucks less. That's all I was getting at. Hope that helps explain why I thought it relevant to a deals discussion;the price we pay is only relative to how much we are saving, with respect to deals.

May 27, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #14,953 of 35,346
What's more interesting is how much the audiophile community has been anchored in terms of product markup. I think it's safe to say the k7xx has at least a 100% markup from production if we're being conservative (i would think actual price of production to be around $40). To us audiophiles, $200 for a k7xx is already a smoking deal.

Yes anchoring works but if you think for a second, the k7xx can be labeled as a giant killer. So maybe another way to look at it is that we're used to paying ~$600 for a $40-$100 produced headphone. *cough hd700, t90, etc *cough

So yes protect the consumers who don't know better but also something to think about for the seasoned players.

May 27, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #14,954 of 35,346
Would love some nice amp deals.

*steering this thread back to order*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back