The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
May 12, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #14,671 of 35,332
May 12, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #14,674 of 35,332
  Sennheiser HD600 is $229 on Amazon now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SY4H/

For those who get taxed on Amazon, this is reminder that the slickdeals link to Adorama is a better deal, at $229 also: http://www.adorama.com/SEHD600.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=WfsR5-1WCwFE2glQaHX8FxgRUkVVuWW2NW2Hy80&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

May 12, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #14,675 of 35,332

For those who get taxed on Amazon, this is reminder that the slickdeals link to Adorama is a better deal, at $229 also: http://www.adorama.com/SEHD600.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=WfsR5-1WCwFE2glQaHX8FxgRUkVVuWW2NW2Hy80&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905

Sennheiser HD600 is $229 on Amazon now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SY4H/

A work around would be to have a friend in an untaxed state buy it for you and have it shipped to you instead of them. I think that would work...not sure if Amazon bases the sale to buyer's address or ship to address.

May 12, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #14,676 of 35,332
Did anyone buy the Pono at this $250 price? I keep going back and forth on it, and the deal expires on 5/16. After Ggroch's initial post, there was some discussion about the Pono itself, but little discussion about the deal.  The Cnet review of the Pono suggested $300 as a more palatable price.  $250 approaches salivating.  Tyll's review is really convincing but since I've got a Centrance Skyn coming to me eventually, I'm wondering if a Pono and a Skyn would be redundant.  

Quote:
  Fry's has the  Pono Player for $250 with free shipping for those who have a promo code.

The online price says $400 like everyone else, but if you have a Promo Code from their daily emails, it drops to $250 with free shipping. The codes are individual I think.    I have not seen a discount on these yet, but it may indicate sales are not overwhelming. 

May 12, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #14,677 of 35,332
Not familiar with the CEntrance, love my Pono, if you go to the Pono site sine posted there that they bought one, Olddude bought a second, back up Pono (I considered it, but I have a Wave coming). Most who have actually heard one love it.

May 12, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #14,678 of 35,332
(i have no connection to the Pono in any commercial way...)

May 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #14,679 of 35,332
Thanks, Doc.  The CEntrance Skyn is a crowdfunded DAC/amp/charger/case for the iPhone.  It's still being tweaked out and hasn't shipped yet.

(I have a connection to Westfield, NJ in a familial way: It's my dad's hometown.)
Not familiar with the CEntrance, love my Pono, if you go to the Pono site sine posted there that they bought one, Olddude bought a second, back up Pono (I considered it, but I have a Wave coming). Most who have actually heard one love it.

May 12, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #14,680 of 35,332

I have no doubt that the Pono is great. Lack of folder playback support is a bit of an issue for me though. Surely they will address that though in a firmware update.

May 12, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #14,682 of 35,332
just a heads up:

if you purchased a Phonak Audeo PFE IEM from Sound Earphones (50% off when they first announced the Audeo line would be discontinued) around this time in 2013 and has crapped out, you can contact them at info@phonak.com
they honor the 2 year warranty and will provide a free FedEx return label/package to send them the faulty IEM. Just forward them the order confirmation email from Sound Earphones when they reply.

My PFE132 recently has a buzzy left earpiece and returned it to them the other day for replacement (hopefully with full accessories...) Will update when I get something back from them.

Add: I purchased the PFE132 around June 13, 2013

May 12, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #14,683 of 35,332
Thanks, Doc.  The CEntrance Skyn is a crowdfunded DAC/amp/charger/case for the iPhone.  It's still being tweaked out and hasn't shipped yet.

(I have a connection to Westfield, NJ in a familial way: It's my dad's hometown.)

Cool, like this town!

I have no doubt that the Pono is great. Lack of folder playback support is a bit of an issue for me though. Surely they will address that though in a firmware update.

I only find folder support need with bad tagging, don't have any problem using it the way it's set up.

May 12, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #14,684 of 35,332
Did anyone buy the Pono at this $250 price? I keep going back and forth on it, and the deal expires on 5/16. After Ggroch's initial post, there was some discussion about the Pono itself, but little discussion about the deal.  The Cnet review of the Pono suggested $300 as a more palatable price.  $250 approaches salivating.  Tyll's review is really convincing but since I've got a Centrance Skyn coming to me eventually, I'm wondering if a Pono and a Skyn would be redundant.  

@CarpeDijon, I think $250 is a reasonable price point. I think its MSRP of $400 is pretty overpriced (imo).

hard to say whether the pono will be redundant to the skyn. I do think that generally it is unnecessary to have both an external amp/dac and a DAP. You will end up using one or the other primarily while the other item sits and gathers dust.

Skyn uses an AKM dac chip and has its power ratings specified. The Pono uses a ESS Sabre ES9018K2M dac chip, but I was unable to find any information on its amplifier. At the $400 price point, I personally think the iBasso DX90 is a more appealing option than the Pono Player. At the $250 price point, there is also the new Fiio X3 with a Cirrus Logic CS4398 dac chip. There are many DAP options on the market, so do your research to see which one is best suited for your needs :)

May 12, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #14,685 of 35,332
From everything I've read, the Pono SQ is great.  From my brief time with it at the Audeze booth at CES, the sound was quite good.  However, I found the UI made me want to smash the dang thing into a wall.  

It was extremely sensitive to the angle you held it, so the screen was constantly swapping orientation.  The touch screen itself was very small and it was hard to hit the button you wanted, even when it wasn't moving the buttons around as it rotated randomly.  The scrolling wasn't particularly smooth, etc etc. I just found really unusable.

But once I got it working, it really did sound nice.  

Still, I'd rather stick with my easy-to-use Fiio.  The slightly worse sound is easily made up for by the lack of frustration with the UI and all the additional features like USB DAC, line out and coax out, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back