The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Apr 25, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #4,412 of 35,332
Its a fairly low but not amazing price for a well recommended keyboard. To put it into perspective it'll be like having the M50's on sale for $95. I would have gotten one to replace my crappy monoprice mech if it weren't for the switches (I like blue) and it being ten-keyless

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4,414 of 35,332
  Why are people getting into mechanical keyboards? What's the difference to non-mechanical? Marketing hype?

Funny comment considering how esoteric this site is.

The only thing they offer is a better typing experience. Spending 50-100$ on a better typing experience pays off if you find yourself on a desktop or typing a lot. ( Even if the experience is only marginally better )

Kind of like paying for a comfy chair if you sit a lot. ^^

The crisp clicks and tactile feedback make typing more enjoyable ( More like less unpleasant I guess )

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #4,418 of 35,332
If you get one go for the blues.

First one I got had brown switches, while nicer than normal keyboards they just lack the satisfying feedback that blues give you. ( They are a lot 'crunchier' )

I love my MX Cherry Reds personally. The Blues are a bit too 'clicky' for my taste... Especially with headphones on.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #4,419 of 35,332
Funny comment considering how esoteric this site is.

The crisp clicks and tactile feedback make typing more enjoyable ( More like less unpleasant I guess).

You know, "funny" thing is that many public schools are dropping keyboarding from the curriculum.

I remember being really frustrated that I could only get up to about 70-80 words per minute, now... People of all ages touch laptop screens (I literally had a dad touch a laptop screen 45 seconds after I'd just explained to his 7 year-old son that you have to use the trackpad) and desktop screens as if it would be comfortable to keep your arm up in the air all day, and many people are impressed that I can pseudo two-hand touch type on an iPad screen from muscle memory.

Oh, and uuuuuuh... The AKG K612 is a major value, Razerdog may still have the coupon code K612PRO valid to get one for $165?

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #4,420 of 35,332
I love my MX Cherry Reds personally. The Blues are a bit too 'clicky' for my taste... Especially with headphones on.
reds FTW!!

I gotta say since this is a headphone forum, you can get damper rings that prevent the key from bottoming out and making as much noise

For the person that asked about the difference, if you ever used a really old computer with a huge tan/white keyboard that was really loud, these are essentially those. Although they are quieter and easier to press now of course (depending on the switch I guess, google cherry MX switches and there should be a good comparison). A normal keyboard now has a rubber membrane that acts as a spring sort of while mechanicals have actual springs in each key and metal strips that touch to complete a circuit.

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #4,421 of 35,332

Reds = Terrible for typing/coding. Great for gaming.
Blues = Absolutely the best for typing. Bad for gaming.
Browns = Middle ground for typing and gaming.
Blacks = Gaming oriented, but harder to press than reds, most people prefer reds for gaming.

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #4,422 of 35,332

Reds = Terrible for typing/coding. Great for gaming.
Blues = Absolutely the best for typing. Bad for gaming.
Browns = Middle ground for typing and gaming.
Blacks = Gaming oriented, but harder to press than reds, most people prefer reds for gaming.

I would say it depends on personal preference. I cannot use Blues or Browns for anything. I actually prefer Black for gaming and Red for typing.

Reds are just so light and once I got use to typing on them I just cannot go back.

EDIT: I should mention that I bottom out like a man possessed. So, the bump does nothing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back