The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Feb 9, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #12,346 of 35,378

I'll be using it to amp my Recon3D while console gaming with my Q701.  Since the amp on the Recon can't drive the Q701 to loud enough volumes, I'd say there's not really much placebo involved.  It either makes them louder or it doesn't.  If I'm just getting something to make my headphones louder, I'd rather get the one that's $5 cheaper instead of spending an extra $5 for HYPE.  Or better yet, as I mentioned, find one used for even cheaper.  

BTW, insulting someone and then winking or saying "no offense" doesn't actually make the insult go away.

Why do you think they're hyped ? What do you think are better alternatives in the same price range? (i have a Modi 1 , and i was initially planning to build O2, but now that the Magni 2 is out , and being remarkably better than Magni 1, i started thinking about getting one instead)

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #12,353 of 35,378
Shure 846 back on Massdrop as well, one I've been keeping my trigger finger from going for...

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #12,354 of 35,378
  Fostex TH-600 on massdrop...just when I thought I was deadset on the shure 1540s. BAH

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fosetx-th-600-headphones

Had requested it to go back up on MD as well. Good price, but I still got it cheaper from HeadRoom recently, so I feel good. 
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #12,356 of 35,378
  Fostex TH-600 on massdrop...just when I thought I was deadset on the shure 1540s. BAH

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fosetx-th-600-headphones

I thought about this, but I've already got the Sony Z7 and if I'm going for another closed can, it'll be a serious upgrade and that's most likely the TH900.  I'll end up there eventually anyway so I don't see much value in doing it part way.  I'm learning that much about myself on this never ending run down the rabbit hole that's head-fi...

biggrin.gif

HS

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #12,357 of 35,378
What does a good Hakko unit go for, are there deals to be had, and if so what sellers should I be watching?

I would just search the 888D and also think about getting a package of different size/style tips for it at the same time if you use a solder much.  Well worth it when a job pops up.

I really like mine....should have gotten one years ago as I solder quite a bit of stuff on my hot rod.

HS

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #12,358 of 35,378
I'm looking for a deal on the Fiio X5 if anyone comes across one.  Buysonic has it for $350, but I'm pretty sure Massdrop has had it for cheaper.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #12,359 of 35,378

I thought about this, but I've already got the Sony Z7 and if I'm going for another closed can, it'll be a serious upgrade and that's most likely the TH900.  I'll end up there eventually anyway so I don't see much value in doing it part way.  I'm learning that much about myself on this never ending run down the rabbit hole that's head-fi...

biggrin.gif

HS

Before jumping into the TH900 you may want to hold off for a while until the Audeze EL-8 closed version comes out in March. Once that little monster has made it's viewing then you can compare the TH900 to the Audeze XC and EL-8 closed. That would be a lot of fun.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #12,360 of 35,378
  Before jumping into the TH900 you may want to hold off for a while until the Audeze EL-8 closed version comes out in March. Once that little monster has made it's viewing then you can compare the TH900 to the Audeze XC and EL-8 closed. That would be a lot of fun.

The EL-8 closed version sounded pretty bad at CES.  I know they're going to do some more "tuning" before launch but they're going to have to do some magic to get that thing to sound like a $700 headphone.  Realistically, there's no way it will be in the same category as the TH900 and LCD-XC (especially since they would be stupid to make it sound as good as their own headphone that costs $1000 more).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back