The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Feb 8, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #12,333 of 35,378
Just checked to see what was left at my local RadioShack. They had 1 of the digital soldering stations in stock. Marked $90 with 30% off.

I'd get it if I could.  Mine didn't have any.  That's a decent price for a station that has the same features as the Hakko but doesn't look like a Fischer Price toy.

Since they didn't, I got the Hakko.  lol

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #12,334 of 35,378
I didn't even see that deal but yea, 50% off would almost be like what they cost to build. Another 30% off then you're at parts cost! It's unfair to think in this sense sure but kinda puts it in perspective. A steal none the less.
one of those legendary, hit-yourself-in-the-head-for-not-going-for-it, one time only deals, never has happened again (that I know of...)

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #12,335 of 35,378
The Monoprice desktop amp (which AFAIK is a rebranded E9 without E7 dock) is on sale.  There's also a coupon code for an additional $5 off a purchase of $25.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=11567

Final price $83.70 before tax/shipping.  Normal price is about $15 more so not a fantastic deal, but 15% off something that's already cheaper than the equivalent Fiio ($109 on Amazon).

Anyone have any experience with this one? 

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #12,336 of 35,378
  The Monoprice desktop amp (which AFAIK is a rebranded E9 without E7 dock) is on sale.  There's also a coupon code for an additional $5 off a purchase of $25.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=11567

Final price $83.70 before tax/shipping.  Normal price is about $15 more so not a fantastic deal, but 15% off something that's already cheaper than the equivalent Fiio ($109 on Amazon).

Anyone have any experience with this one? 

I think the main thing that people knocks the E09K for is its <10Ω output impedance.
With that, low impedance earphones/headphones might be out of the equation due to the possible SQ changes (I'm not sure at this, please correct me if I'm wrong).
So I think the 1st generation Magni is a better option if you're gonna use power hungry headphones anyway; not having a gain switch is not much of a problem.

Also, the Magni is now available on Amazon for $89.00 w/ Prime shipping (you had to pay for shipping before and might be a few buck cheaper compared to their website). Note: it's not stock until Feb. 13 and the one with the US power adapter is OOS on their site.

http://www.amazon.com/Schiit-SCH-07-Magni-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00CICPMA6/

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #12,337 of 35,378

I think the main thing that people knocks the E09K for is its <10Ω output impedance.
With that, low impedance earphones/headphones might be out of the equation due to the possible SQ changes (I'm not sure at this, please correct me if I'm wrong).
So I think the 1st generation Magni is a better option if you're gonna use power hungry headphones anyway; not having a gain switch is not much of a problem.

Also, the Magni is now available on Amazon for $89.00 w/ Prime shipping (you had to pay for shipping before and might be a few buck cheaper compared to their website). Note: it's not stock until Feb. 13 and the one with the US power adapter is OOS on their site.

http://www.amazon.com/Schiit-SCH-07-Magni-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00CICPMA6/

Meh, I'd rather have anything but the low-end Schiit gear.  Or if I do get a Magni, I'm not paying full price for it.  They're on the classifieds and on eBay every 5 seconds.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #12,339 of 35,378

Meh, I'd rather have anything but the low-end Schiit gear.  Or if I do get a Magni, I'm not paying full price for it.  They're on the classifieds and on eBay every 5 seconds.

I personally think that if you're gonna get a placebo-inducing product, might as well pick one with good specs. 
wink.gif

Well, except for that fixed 14 dB gain. Though I heard you can get away with OS volume controls.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #12,340 of 35,378

I personally think that if you're gonna get a placebo-inducing product, might as well pick one with good specs. 
wink.gif

Well, except for that fixed 14 dB gain. Though I heard you can get away with OS volume controls.

I'll be using it to amp my Recon3D while console gaming with my Q701.  Since the amp on the Recon can't drive the Q701 to loud enough volumes, I'd say there's not really much placebo involved.  It either makes them louder or it doesn't.  If I'm just getting something to make my headphones louder, I'd rather get the one that's $5 cheaper instead of spending an extra $5 for HYPE.  Or better yet, as I mentioned, find one used for even cheaper.  

BTW, insulting someone and then winking or saying "no offense" doesn't actually make the insult go away.

Feb 8, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #12,342 of 35,378

I'd get it if I could.  Mine didn't have any.  That's a decent price for a station that has the same features as the Hakko but doesn't look like a Fischer Price toy.

Since they didn't, I got the Hakko.  lol

The Hakko is a great unit.  Just soldered up a Koss ESP-950 to Stax adapter for an amp I'm having made and it would have been a nightmare with my other soldering utensils.

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back