The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Nov 24, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #8,731 of 35,346
I just hope ef5 goes down low for bf or after because of this New amp.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #8,732 of 35,346
  lol it's an amplifier guys. are you all seriously buying amplifiers based on looks?? who cares how it looks.

If your amplifier comes in a really cool looking case, you can bet a good portion of the asking price is going towards that amplifier. Would you rather have a $400 amplifier in a $400 case, or a $800 amplifier? Woo audio seems to be the best example of it. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #8,733 of 35,346

If your amplifier comes in a really cool looking case, you can bet a good portion of the asking price is going towards that amplifier. Would you rather have a $400 amplifier in a $400 case, or a $800 amplifier? Woo audio seems to be the best example of it. 

I'm of the mind that the price doesn't matter either way, it's the engineering and specs that count
biggrin.gif

So in the interest of answering your question while keeping to the subject of the thread, I'd take a ~$100 amp and call it 75% off.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #8,734 of 35,346
I kinda like the look of that amp. It does look like some sort of telecommunications gear from the 80s.

A telephone modem. Ya! Or a piece of medical gear. C-pap machine, anyone? But it's cool in a quirky way. It's way more creative than another rectangular box.

Well, good sound is the main thing, but good looks seals the deal. Or kills it.

Of course, what counts as good looks is debatable!

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #8,735 of 35,346

I think Schiit is a good counterexample.  If they can make the Magni and Modi look good for $100, nobody really has an excuse to put out a $400 amp that looks like a typewriter from the 50's.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #8,736 of 35,346
I kinda like the look of that amp. It does look like some sort of telecommunications gear from the 80s.

A telephone modem. Ya! Or a piece of medical gear. C-pap machine, anyone? But it's cool in a quirky way. It's way more creative than another rectangular box.

Well, good sound is the main thing, but good looks seals the deal. Or kills it.

Of course, what counts as good looks is debatable!

Thank you!  I've been trying to put my finger on what it reminds me of!  

My good old US Robotics 14.4k baud modem.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #8,738 of 35,346
Just FYI guys: Massdrop is now actually a headphone and amp reseller essentially, so you can now talk about and link to their sales
wink_face.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #8,740 of 35,346
  Just FYI guys: Massdrop is now actually a headphone and amp reseller essentially, so you can now talk about and link to their sales
wink_face.gif

Can you put that at the front of the thread for posterity?  Don't want to have people arguing about it in a few days when this post gets buried...

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #8,741 of 35,346
wink_face.gif

woww... that is a giant change in stance from previous ban threats at the mere discussion of the site. 

but i greatly approve :) yay! massdrop. excited about the akg 7xx.

...tho I haven't seen any really stellar deals from them recently. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #8,742 of 35,346
  a lot of people and thanks to schiit, woo and the like we get good looking stuff with great quality

Some of the pretty-looking woo audio stuff is pretty overpriced if you are doing a straight specs comparison. of course, implementation & whatever, but I rather pay less for something with more features, better specs, and better performance over something that looks nice in a fancy chassis.

All schitt products are just rectangle blocks in inexpensive aluminium chassis. So, basically a rectangle box is pretty than a type-writer-shaped box? lolllll.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #8,743 of 35,346
Anyone know when the k7xx is out for a group buy? Massdrop massdrop massdrop massdrop yyyyyeeeaaaaa massdrop!

I think I'm gonna buy some magic cards or something

Just FYI guys: Massdrop is now actually a headphone and amp reseller essentially, so you can now talk about and link to their sales. :wink_face:

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #8,744 of 35,346
wink_face.gif

OK--then I'll start.  The MDR 7510 could go down to $90 if enough folks commit to buy it at Massdrop in the next day or so:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sony-mdr7510-headphones

Too bad this wasn't posted a bit earlier, as they had all Ohm versions of the DT 880 up until earlier today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back