The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
May 16, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #4,966 of 35,347

Anything that doesn't let you in without signing up feels like a group buy site to me...

And then has a reputation for sometimes taking a long time to ship because they don't stock inventory.

These are absolutely absurd criteria, specifically making you sign up. hundreds of sites require signing up before use, and have poor service. 

May 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #4,969 of 35,347
MEElectronics has a randomly chosen pair of MEElectronics Earphones for $60 - $48 off with coupon code MEEWHAT2014 [Exp 5/21] + $3 shipping = $15 shipped.

You'll get one of five models, ranging in retail price from $30 to $80.

http://www.meelec.com/MEE_What_Promotion_p/earphone-mee-what.htm

May 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #4,970 of 35,347
MEElectronics has a randomly chosen pair of MEElectronics Earphones for $60 - $48 off with coupon code MEEWHAT2014 [Exp 5/21] + $3 shipping = $15 shipped.

You'll get one of five models, ranging in retail price from $30 to $80.

http://www.meelec.com/MEE_What_Promotion_p/earphone-mee-what.htm

Thanks, ordered two. Hopefully I won't get two of the same model, but I won't cry if I do as it was a pretty good price.

May 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #4,972 of 35,347

These are absolutely absurd criteria, specifically making you sign up. hundreds of sites require signing up before use, and have poor service.

Doesn't Amazon require you to sign in?

They require you to sign in before you can even get into the site.  If you don't sign in, you can't see what's inside.  Neither "Hundreds of sites" nor Amazon make you do that.  I know of exactly one other site that makes you do that and it's a group buy site.

Oh and that other site also takes a while to ship.  Because they buy a big chunk after they've gotten enough orders, get it shipped to their warehouse, and then reship them out.

May 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #4,973 of 35,347
May 16, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,974 of 35,347
I see a bunch of assumptions based on no real proof.  Please just calm down and get back to deals and deals discussion.  BTW, got my $80 Momentum on ears in yesterday...  that is a deal I don't see me beating again anytime soon.

May 16, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #4,975 of 35,347
Really? Maybe you are new to the Deal Discussion thread and buying on the Internet, but the websites I buy from don't have home pages where one can't even get to the inventory without signing up. Does this REALLY look like a typical ecommerce site to you?
rolleyes.gif

Not new, just don't talk often because most of the talk in here is drivel, from people that don't know what they are talking about, unless they are talking about headphones, which sadly doesn't happen enough in this thread. Typical? Maybe not, but abnormal? No. All that site needed from me was my email address, was fairly painless. Grow up some. 

May 16, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #4,976 of 35,347
I see a bunch of assumptions based on no real proof. Please just calm down and get back to deals and deals discussion.

We could certainly move on. There's no assumptions here. The evidence is quite clear that Touch of Modern is not your typical ecommerce website if you just go look at it and read the reviews of it. Making an untenable statement that ignores the evidence provided isn't the way to change the conversation.

May 16, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #4,977 of 35,347
Gone way off topic here. I'd suggest taking it to PMs or form a new thread called "Is this a group buy site discussion threads" and enjoy all the lively debate there.

May 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #4,978 of 35,347
Don't think it's off topic to make sure we're honoring the rules of the site.  There's a good reason they don't want us to use group buy sites here and I'd like to know if I'm being directed to one so I can decide for myself.

I've done a little research on TOM aka Whitehawk Ventures.  They're definitely a "flash sale" site, but not all flash sale sites are group buy sites.  If they haven't announced that they're a group buy sites, we can't assume they are based on nothing other than that they're a flash sale site.  Some flash sale sites like Woot will just buy a pile of unsold crap super cheap and then resell it regular cheap.

However, there are anecdotal reports that TOM "negotiates pricing" with their suppliers, and that the shipping takes a while.  Both of these are red flags that they're not just pre-buying a bunch of crap, but rather they're getting commitments to buy first and then getting the product after.  That's pretty much a group buy scenario.

So no, while there's no solid proof one way or the other, it's very likely that it's a group buy site.  Feel free to make your own decision on what you believe and whether or not you'd like to support them.

EDIT - Direct from their FAQ:  "Part of the reason why ToMo has such low prices is that we don’t carry any inventory of our products. We pass the warehouse cost savings onto you so that you can enjoy the best prices available. We also negotiate with our vendors to ensure that their products are seen by people who appreciate good design, high quality and great value, and in return, they give us exceptional pricing."

May 16, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #4,980 of 35,347
MEElectronics MEE What? promotion is back (code: MEEWHAT2014).

For $11.99 +shipping, you get a random chance at one of the following:
M9P earphones with mic & remote (MSRP: $29.99) - 35%
M9P Second Generation flat cable earphones with mic & remote (MSRP: $39.99) - 15%
Sport-Fi M6P memory wire sports earphones with mic & remote (MSRP: $39.99) - 40%
EDM Universe D1P flat cable earphones with mic & remote (MSRP: $49.99) – 9%
M-Duo Dual Dynamic Driver earphone with mic & remote (MSRP: $79.99) - 1%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back