The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Sep 16, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #26,642 of 35,332
Just out of curiosity, what is the criteria to be Prime? Is it just solely on free shipping and within 2 days for prime members? Any vendors can qualify as long as the required criterias are met?

If so, Prime is about delivery, not purely reputable-ness of the vendors although I have more faith in Prime due to Amazon's policy if something goes awry.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #26,643 of 35,332
Just out of curiosity, what is the criteria to be Prime? Is it just solely on free shipping and within 2 days for prime members? Any vendors can qualify as long as the required criterias are met?

If so, Prime is about delivery, not purely reputable-ness of the vendors although I have more faith in Prime due to Amazon's policy if something goes awry.
From what I can tell, if the vender has amazon fulfill the order, the vendor can opt into prime shipping, which basically means the vendor pays for shipping. I don't think there is any other criteria.

Sep 16, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #26,644 of 35,332
Just out of curiosity, what is the criteria to be Prime? Is it just solely on free shipping and within 2 days for prime members? Any vendors can qualify as long as the required criterias are met? If so, Prime is about delivery, not purely reputable-ness of the vendors although I have more faith in Prime due to Amazon's policy if something goes awry.

It's not just shipping speed.

The vast majority of Prime Shipped items by Marketplace Vendors (not Amazon by Amazon) are FBA....or Fulfilled by Amazon. This means the vendor ships products to Amazon ahead of time which are stored in Amazon warehouses and shipped by Amazon when ordered using the same shipping as regular Amazon Merch. The vast majority of Prime Marketplace sellers (Including HiDef that started this discussion) work this way. In FBA you get exactly the same speed, reliability, and return policies as Amazon by Amazon. Amazon handles the returns as well as the sales. The re-sellable returns end up on Amazon Warehouse deals.

A small number of mostly very large vendors (in electronics, mostly manufacturers) are FBS Prime Sellers. In this case you are obligated to meet the same requirements/response times etc as FBA....but you warehouse and ship yourself. You need to apply for this.....be a professional marketplace seller (which requires a monthly fee, and its own application process) and also go through a pre-trial period where you prove you can meet shipping and out of stock minimums. The 2 day free ship requirement is hard for anyone but a huge volume dealer to afford (they have to have negotiated great shipping rates with UPS/USPS etc). only large dealers do it. FBS dealers have to maintain high minimum standards (like a below 1 percent out of stock rate, and no complaints about fake or below standard products) to keep the Prime label. Prime sellers do have to meet higher metrics...including customer satisfaction, than standard vendors, but Amazon does not publish most of the specifics on this.

SO......if you buy Prime items...you will almost always get it in stock, fast, and genuine**.

HOWEVER...depending on the product you do not need to be an authorized dealer to sell electronics on Prime....or on Amazon. This depends mostly on the manufacturer and how concerned they are about working with Amazon to limit un-authorized sales.

For example, as a small non-Prime seller, I cannot sell Sony Headphones (even used ones) without getting pre-authorized by Amazon by proving I am a Sony authorized dealer. I just checked...and I can sell Focal headphones as new on Amazon....no authorization proof required.

SO....Prime = Fast, Reliable, Accurate Delivery with very little chance of non-genuine products. Prime does not prove you are an authorized dealer unless the MFG has worked with Amazon to limit non-authorized sales.

** There are a few headphone MFG where a there are a lot of fakes sold on Amazon, including using Prime. Marshall headphones sold by marketplace vendors are a good example. The dealers will usually be "Just Launched" because Amazon shuts them down...but only after they get complaints. The fake Marshall phones are close to the real ones in appearance and performance...so many buyers do not complain.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #26,646 of 35,332
Massdrop has today activated an exclusive model partnership thing with Koss creating the electrostatic ESP-95X drop....which is a slightly modified and ESP-950 offered with energizer box for $500. They are currently limiting the original drop to 360 units, and over 240 have been sold already.

They will charge your card at the end of the month, and ship in January.

I am not sure whether linking to MD is allowed, but little need because it is on the front page of the site. The original ESP-950 comes with some accessories included but sells most places over $900.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #26,647 of 35,332
Got an email from Hidizs:
Hidizs has been designing high quality music player for years now and our mission has always been to provide high-end audio experience to all the HiFi fans. In order to provide an even more comprehensive audio experience, we are here to introduce to you the Hidizs x NF Audio NF-3U earphones: A Premium Pair of Handcrafted IEMs.

What’s so special about the NF-3U?

• The NF-3U incorporates the German imported medical grade light curing resin with the red mahogany emblazoned to truly make the headset one of a kind.
    • As for the interior, the NF-3U features 3 driver balanced Knowles armature together with a high grade copper-zinc alloy instrument tubing to provide the highest sound clearity and delivery.
    • The detachable cable is made of 8 core 6N single crystal copper and silver plated mixed wire. With the beryllium copper 0.78 mm double pins and the 3.5mm plug, each element is designed to give the headphones a clearer and more dynamic sound.

While normal high-end handmade 3 armature IEMs will easily cost you over $500, we are currently offering a 20% off discount for the Hidizs x NF Audio NF-3U on our website. Get your first pair of handcrafted IEMs for only $399!

https://www.hidizs.net/products/nf-3u

Today Nano looks at this NF-3U: https://www.headfonia.com/review-hidizs-x-nfaudio-nf3u/

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #26,649 of 35,332
KEF M500, $65 with code EMCPYEX77
on Newegg.

White Only....Link. I think this is the lowest price yet on these nice, originally $300 (in 2013) cans. I'm a fan. Classy build with a typical KEF warm inviting musical sound.

I just bought a different classy build white closed on-ear can...the Audiofly AF240 at $80. Black available for about the same price. These were originally released and reviewed at $250, and reviews are mixed...but the reviews were at the $250 price. The $80-$90 price is not a limited special...they have just dropped that far most places. I have not received them yet but the design and description intrigued me.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #26,650 of 35,332
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #26,651 of 35,332
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #26,652 of 35,332
The Focal trade-in deal is back -- Utopia for $3k, Clear for $1.1k

Trade in any branded headphone to get the discount.

Pretty much every authorized Focal dealer offers this.

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #26,653 of 35,332
KEF M500, $65 with code EMCPYEX77
on Newegg.

White Only....Link. I think this is the lowest price yet on these nice, originally $300 (in 2013) cans. I'm a fan. Classy build with a typical KEF warm inviting musical sound.

Yes, this is the lowest price for sure. It’s white only because Newegg is just clearing out existing (old) stock, and all they have is white.

Although I hate white headphones, I bought my white ones from Newegg about 2 months ago for $79. And even that is a killer deal. I have never seen new blacks for $79 before.

So $65 shipped for these is a bonkers deal, even if the color was hot pink with sparkles.

They sound excellent, although I don’t like the stock noodle cable.

They are the most comfortable on-ear headphones I’ve tried (and I’ve tried a lot). That doesn’t include ultra-light headphones like PortaPro and whatnot, which are always comfortable because they don’t weight anything.

And while the earpads are technically removable, they are proprietary and can only be replaced with genuine M500 replacement pads. Luckily they are well made so I expect them to last a long time assuming I baby them.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #26,654 of 35,332

I just bought a different classy build white closed on-ear can...the Audiofly AF240 at $80. Black available for about the same price. These were originally released and reviewed at $250, and reviews are mixed...but the reviews were at the $250 price. The $80-$90 price is not a limited special...they have just dropped that far most places. I have not received them yet but the design and description intrigued me.

I'd be really interested in what you think of the AF240

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #26,655 of 35,332

I really hope M500 have ear cups. Anyway, not really like on-ear design. Why KEF didn't make over-ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back