The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #676 of 5,999
Quote:
I wonder if there are any solid XLR to mini-XLR adapters on the market. As in, not two adapters connected by wire, but one single piece.

Hmmm.  Haven't seen one commercially available.  Might be an interesting challenge to tackle this coming weekend.  

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #677 of 5,999
I was thinking one could bootstrap something together by fitting the mini-xlr into the strain relief of the xlr, maybe a couple layers of adhesive shrink wrap over top... or something like that. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #678 of 5,999
Quote:
Hmmm.  Haven't seen one commercially available.  Might be an interesting challenge to tackle this coming weekend.  

Quote:
I was thinking one could bootstrap something together by fitting the mini-xlr into the strain relief of the xlr, maybe a couple layers of adhesive shrink wrap over top... or something like that. 

I sort of visualized something similar.  If it sticks out too far from the faceplate, it might be better to have the short wire in between 4 pin and mini XLR's, just for strain relief.  FraGGleR, please post a photo or 6 if you gin one up this weekend.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #679 of 5,999
Guys i don't want to derail the thread,but i did send an E-Mail to their info service asking if the M8 should be able to bypass the internal dac an amp of the Galaxy S2 naturally ,since Goodman sad it should work with aAndroid devices(just for curiosity ,or for when i will be able to save some bucks for an Hi-Fi portable solution),but yet no response.
Anyone?Thank you guys

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #680 of 5,999
Quote:
Guys i don't want to derail the thread,but i did send an E-Mail to their info service asking if the M8 should be able to bypass the internal dac an amp of the Galaxy S2 naturally ,since Goodman sad it should work with aAndroid devices(just for curiosity ,or for when i will be able to save some bucks for an Hi-Fi portable solution),but yet no response.
Anyone?Thank you guys

Unless the S2 can output digital audio over USB if/when it gets the Jelly Bean update (or via a custom ROM), I don't think it will work. Have a look in the Android Phones and USB DACs thread to see if anyone has had any luck using external USB DACs with the S2. That should give some indication.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
Here's one post to get you started on your research (it's not promising though):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/825#post_8863240
I used "S2" as the keyword to search within the thread.

Quote:

Mini XLRs are just like regular ones, just mini :)  Below is the cable I made to take to meets.  You can see the female mini-XLR's size compared to some regular male XLR's.  

I preordered for a regular 4 pin XLR.  At this point, if there is a last minute change to mini-XLR's I hope I can work something out with Centrance to get one of those instead.  From reading this thread, it looks like it might be too late since the analog board is in testing.  

And for the faceplates, unless things change again, you won't get the combo spdif/analog 3.5mm jack with the dual 3-pin XLR's.  I don't know if it will move to the back or simply not be an option.  You can, however plug 1/4" plugs or use an adapter for a 3.5mm in the combo jacks used for the dual 3-pin XLR option.

Again, sorry if I'm being dense. Is it possible to use a converter which has single 1/4" female at one end for a standard headphone plug and converts that to 2x XLR (or mini XLR) plugs? One of your pictures is showing 2 on 1 end and 1 on the other, however I can't tell what's connection type is at each end. Most XLR converters which I've seen online are mono and won't convert a single stereo 1/4" jack into 2xXLR mono plugs.

I checked the back plate configs on the blog and it looks like it will be used for input only. However I know that they are still finalising design whilst getting the prototype plates in so things might change...

The SPDIF out is a really nice feature since it will make the USB only source device (e.g. Galaxy S3 if it works with the M8) compatible with any DAC with optical/SPDIF input which should make for a very versatile setup, e.g. auditioning other DACs when at a meet. I really hope he's able to keep that feature on all permutations of the M8.

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like the mini XLR locks into place just like regular XLR does :) I can see plenty of mini XLR to ??? items for sale online so should make it easy for connecting with unbalanced setups whilst still locking in securely. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #681 of 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I preordered for a regular 4 pin XLR.  At this point, if there is a last minute change to mini-XLR's I hope I can work something out with Centrance to get one of those instead.  From reading this thread, it looks like it might be too late since the analog board is in testing.  

And for the faceplates, unless things change again, you won't get the combo spdif/analog 3.5mm jack with the dual 3-pin XLR's.  I don't know if it will move to the back or simply not be an option.  You can, however plug 1/4" plugs or use an adapter for a 3.5mm in the combo jacks used for the dual 3-pin XLR option.

I pre-ordered a regular 4 pin XLR version as well and would be really glad to switch to a mini-XLR version if CEntrace decides to make one. To be honest, I can do these terminating stuff myself, but considering the cost for tools and parts, including shipping fees, it's not so economic to most of the people here.

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #683 of 5,999
Unless the S2 can output digital audio over USB if/when it gets the Jelly Bean update (or via a custom ROM), I don't think it will work. Have a look in the Android Phones and USB DACs thread to see if anyone has had any luck using external USB DACs with the S2. That should give some indication.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs
Here's one post to get you started on your research (it's not promising though):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/825#post_8863240
I used "S2" as the keyword to search within the thread.

Again, sorry if I'm being dense. Is it possible to use a converter which has single 1/4" female at one end for a standard headphone plug and converts that to 2x XLR (or mini XLR) plugs? One of your pictures is showing 2 on 1 end and 1 on the other, however I can't tell what's connection type is at each end. Most XLR converters which I've seen online are mono and won't convert a single stereo 1/4" jack into 2xXLR mono plugs.

I checked the back plate configs on the blog and it looks like it will be used for input only. However I know that they are still finalising design whilst getting the prototype plates in so things might change...

The SPDIF out is a really nice feature since it will make the USB only source device (e.g. Galaxy S3 if it works with the M8) compatible with any DAC with optical/SPDIF input which should make for a very versatile setup, e.g. auditioning other DACs when at a meet. I really hope he's able to keep that feature on all permutations of the M8.

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like the mini XLR locks into place just like regular XLR does :) I can see plenty of mini XLR to ??? items for sale online so should make it easy for connecting with unbalanced setups whilst still locking in securely. 

If I am understanding you correctly, you are trying to go from a 1/4" single ended cable to the balanced dual XLR's? That won't get you anything beyond a normal single ended cable. The dual XLR's are combo jacks, meaning you can simply stick a 1/4" plug into the middle of one. Only way to get the benefits of balanced is to reterminate your cable (if it has 4 conductors) to a balanced connector.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #685 of 5,999
Mini XLRs are just like regular ones, just mini :)  Below is the cable I made to take to meets.  You can see the female mini-XLR's size compared to some regular male XLR's.  

Come to think of it Fraggler, would you be interested in building an adaptor for me? If so, please PM me with a price. No worries if you can't or don't want to.....although my feelings may be a little hurt! Lol :wink:

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #686 of 5,999
Quote:

Full Compass sells a 3-Pin Mini XLR-F to 3-Pin Standard XLR-M Adapter here.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #687 of 5,999
Hello Michael,

In your blog you wrote: "Some folks have asked for a switch on the PCB, which would allow to select between output power and battery life. Unfortunately, this is not so easy. We are looking at using two different output chips – one is hungry and eats the battery faster, but gives you the drive capability. The other one is much more conservative on the power, but will have a harder time with LCD2′s as one example. We can only put one chip on the PCB. We don’t have the space for both, unfortunately. We tried…
The version we are preparing for CANJAM at RMAF will have the “longer battery life” chip inside. I’m working hard on another version, which will drive the LCD2′s with confidence. That would be the “more output power” version. I don’t think I’ll have it in time for RMAF, though – it’s too close.
My gut is that we will settle on the more powerful version and will be working hard to give you the best of both worlds – power and longevity. That’s all I can say for now. Gotta get back to the drawing board."

I would like to know if the final version of the HiFi-M8 will have the more powerful chip ? My plan is to use the amp with the LCD-2 and I don't want to be disapointed :wink:

Thank you

Patrick

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #688 of 5,999
Quote:
Full Compass sells a 3-Pin Mini XLR-F to 3-Pin Standard XLR-M Adapter here.

Nice find.  If they had a 4-pin we would be in business.  I think the few of us that want mini-XLR want to use a 4-pin since that reduces the number of connectors needed.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #689 of 5,999
> I would like to know if the final version of the HiFi-M8 will have the more powerful chip ? My plan is to use the amp with the LCD-2 and I don't want to be disappointed
Yes, we are on track for the more powerful version. This assumption was tested at CANJAM in Denver. The flimsier chip didn't pass muster. We are going for gusto with the M8! LCD should be no problem. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #690 of 5,999
Quote:
Nice find.  If they had a 4-pin we would be in business.  I think the few of us that want mini-XLR want to use a 4-pin since that reduces the number of connectors needed.

I wonder if we could just use the barrel and shove the 4-pin equivalents in... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back