The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #646 of 5,999
Quote:
I don't think anyone answered this question when I asked many pages ago.

The iPhone/iPod connected to M8 via supplied cable and headphone connected to M8 using the balanced plugs will allow fully balanced sound?

I asked this because CLAS db plus MK3 needs the additional RSA adaptor from dac to amp plus another RSA adaptor for headphones.  

From what I know:
Yes, the M8 extracts the data from the iDevice, processes it through its DAC, and output the balanced sound through its amp to the balanced plugs.

The CLAS does the data extraction and DAC portion of the M8, and requires an AMP to do the AMP part of the M8. Which is why you need an extra cable to connect the 2 devices. Then the AMP you are talking about uses the 'RSA' output. For the M8, you have a choice as to what balanced output you want. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #647 of 5,999
Michael, could you consider offering right-angled 30-pin and lightning cables?
Because the input and output are on the opposite sides of the M8, using straight cables would be difficult especially when carrying the M8 in a bag or a pocket.

BTW, my M8 t-shirt came in today. Very good quality for free! Thanks!

how would it be difficult?
align the bottom of the iphone with the back of the m8 (with the usb inputs) and a 1-2 inch straight cable should do
and i dont think these are supposed to fit in pockets, since i dont think many people fit iphone+solo+mk3 in their pockets

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #648 of 5,999
Hi all.. been a long time lurker in this thread 
wink.gif

got a question.. is adopting rsa balanced jack will benefit to a slimmer form factor?

if not, i think dedicated 4 pin xlr + 3.5mm jack are the better options to go for M8. really, portable dac/amp with no 3.5mm jack? that thing is definitely missing something 
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #649 of 5,999
Quote:
From what I know:
Yes, the M8 extracts the data from the iDevice, processes it through its DAC, and output the balanced sound through its amp to the balanced plugs.

The CLAS does the data extraction and DAC portion of the M8, and requires an AMP to do the AMP part of the M8. Which is why you need an extra cable to connect the 2 devices. Then the AMP you are talking about uses the 'RSA' output. For the M8, you have a choice as to what balanced output you want. 

Thank you eron for the explanation.  

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #650 of 5,999
> The iPhone/iPod connected to M8 via supplied cable and headphone connected to M8 using the balanced plugs will allow fully balanced sound?
For balanced sound, you'd need balanced-terminated headphones connected to the balanced output.

> Could you consider offering right-angled 30-pin and lightning cables?
I've edited my reply to this, since I misunderstood the request originally. Yes, it's possible to make this cable. We are not going to do that right away, but may do so at a later point.

> Given the price-point you've chosen, are you having to make many compromises? 
> Asked another way, could you make a price-no-object version of the M8 that would function/sound materially better?
Honestly, the only thing I'd do better is stick a larger battery inside. But then the unit would also have to be larger and heavier, so it's really not what we want to do.

> Other than battery life, are there other trade-offs in building a DAC/amp that seeks to be able to drive every headphone under the sun?
One considerable trade-off for me is maintaining a work/life balance. I also gave up playing in a band for this thing. So yes, many trade offs... :)

> Battery life is critical to me and this is a portable unit so, personally, I'd prefer a model tailored toward the IEM end of the spectrum.
You can have one soon :)

> I think dedicated 4 pin xlr + 3.5mm jack are the better options to go for M8. really, portable dac/amp with no 3.5mm jack? that thing is definitely missing something 
There will be an option with the 3.5mm jack.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #651 of 5,999
I've been a bit confused by the 3.5mm jack, will the analog signal be a line out or variable out?

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #652 of 5,999
Thank you for the responses, Michael. I plan to pick one up provided it sounds as good as it looks on paper and has acceptable battery life (> 8 hours = yes, 6-8 = ?, < 6 = no).

As far as I can tell, by any measure, you're setting the bar awfully high for your competition. Hopefully your work/life balance will revert back to normal in short order and this will all prove to have been worthwhile. Hang in there.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #653 of 5,999
> I've been a bit confused by the 3.5mm jack, will the analog signal be a line out or variable out?
It's a combo jack. The SPDIF out is the digital part, the headphone output is the analog part. The analog part is a mirror of the 1/4" jack. We decided against making a separate line-level output, because the output is so clean anyway, you could drive external amps with the output of the headphone amp.

>  your work/life balance will revert back to normal in short order and this will all prove to have been worthwhile. Hang in there.
Thanks, looking forward to that :)

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #654 of 5,999
Michael - as long as you've basically put your personal life on hold (much like having a baby, it seems...) and you would like a bigger battery, I have an idea!  (Oh great, he says..).

How about a nice external battery, packaged to blend cosmetically and stack with the M8?  I know that Energizer and others make externals, and perhaps their price point is not worth competing with, but I'd likely pay at least a reasonable premium for an external battery that looks good with the M8.  Then again, if useful battery life exceeds say 8 hours, fewer users would need one (library camping students and perhaps intercontinental fliers).  Anyway, just a thought.

On another subject - I really  would not buy one of these for iem focused use - I would probably run out of the 3.5 mm and into a Pico Slim or something though, unless the 3.5 mm out is truly hiss free, low gain is 0 or below, and the volume control offers very fine adjustment, and no channel imbalance.  The DacPort was really close, but got too loud (for me, and I am in the minority as to the low volumes at which I listen) before channel imbalance was overcome.  That said, I think there is a market for a dedicated IEM unit - though I thought the current design unit would be flexible enough?

Anyway, I digress.  I should have quit at the auxiliary battery...

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #656 of 5,999
> How about a nice external battery, packaged to blend cosmetically and stack with the M8?
I don't know if we can effectively compete with Energizer. They have the advantage of volume production. Cosmetics alone may not be sufficient to make this a reality. But we will think about it. It's been discussed before.

unless the 3.5 mm out is truly hiss free, low gain is 0 or below, and the volume control offers very fine adjustment, and no channel imbalance.
We are shooting to meet all of these needs. The three gain positions offer 20 dB difference, which is enough to make it really loud and really quiet. The pot we use is much better (we hope) and is still analog, so adjustment should be as fine as you can turn it.

> I thought the current design unit would be flexible enough?
We think so, too :)

> I'm just wondering if the M8 is able to run on AC power without draining the battery?
Yes, of course. When running off the AC, M8 will *charge* the battery, not drain it. Consider that it will behave just like your laptop in this regard.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #658 of 5,999
> by the way, is the pre order still alive? i contacted Ms. Stacie and got no reply from her..
I'm very sorry, she has been out of the office for a couple of days because of the holiday weekend here in US. Please send me a PM with your real email address and I will take care of you.

> i heard this info somewhere, is it true that the M8 will have around 14 hours battery life?
I don't think that's realistic. We will announce the real battery life soon, but I would expect it to be in the 6-10 hour range. Exact number still TBD, since we are optimizing.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #660 of 5,999
Quote:
> How about a nice external battery, packaged to blend cosmetically and stack with the M8?
I don't know if we can effectively compete with Energizer. They have the advantage of volume production. Cosmetics alone may not be sufficient to make this a reality. But we will think about it. It's been discussed before.

Or perhaps make a battery that's also compatible with the Dacmini? Or if volume production is the ideal, then make a battery pack with a selection of tips for other popular portable amps (like the Stepdance/Quickstep for instance). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back