The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Nov 27, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #692 of 5,999
Quote:
I think this is the route I'll go with. Headphones and iems remain relatively light. A 4 pin XLR to mini XLR would then stay with the M8, or in the messenger bag. That way, if centrance does include the option for mini XLR I am set, and if not, it is an easy and compact adapter to the 4 pin, as compared to the RSA with the right angle plug. I'd rather the mini XLR, though...

I had Drew at Moon-Audio make me a short "4-pin XLR to mini-XLR jack" adapter cable.  And then I had him make my all cables with mini-XLR plugs (HE-500, LCD-2, HD800).  So, I'm all set to stick with the standard sized 4-Pin XLR on all my amps.  I do plan to get a Silver Dragon IEM cable, and will likely go for the mini-XLR plug on that too, since I also have an "RSA > mini-XLR" and a "3.5mm > mini-XLR" already.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #693 of 5,999
Quote:
> I would like to know if the final version of the HiFi-M8 will have the more powerful chip ? My plan is to use the amp with the LCD-2 and I don't want to be disappointed
Yes, we are on track for the more powerful version. This assumption was tested at CANJAM in Denver. The flimsier chip didn't pass muster. We are going for gusto with the M8! LCD should be no problem. 

Well, I thought it was more powerful in balanced mode than the USB powered DACport, although less powerful than the AC powered DACmini.  Still, power was quite adequate for the LCD-2 rev1.  My newer Rev2 are even more efficient than the ones I had at RMAF, and don't seem to need as much power.  Still, giving the HiFi-M8 as much power as the DACmini would be a nice bonus on top of the already excellent sound quality,

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #694 of 5,999
Quote:
Actually there is one here http://www.aloaudio.com/green-line-adapter-4-pin-xlr, but is it way over-priced IMO.

The Moon-Audio adapter is $65 = $34 cheaper but not exactly "cheap".  I do like ALO Audio cables, and have many at home, including the RSA > mini-XLR cable.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #695 of 5,999
Quote:

I had Drew at Moon-Audio make me a short "4-pin XLR to mini-XLR jack" adapter cable.  And then I had him make my all cables with mini-XLR plugs (HE-500, LCD-2, HD800).  So, I'm all set to stick with the standard sized 4-Pin XLR on all my amps.  I do plan to get a Silver Dragon IEM cable, and will likely go for the mini-XLR plug on that too, since I also have an "RSA > mini-XLR" and a "3.5mm > mini-XLR" already.

I did similar for my Intruder. My HE-6 terminates in a 4-pin XLR, and I got a 4-pin --> RSA XLR adapter. Now getting some Jaben T5p with balanced cable terminating in 4-pin XLR, and probably get the same for my LCD-2. That way the same adapter can be used for all (in addition to the 6.3mm termination that comes standard with the HE-6). Not exactly cheap, but getting everything to terminate in 4-pin XLR helps.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #696 of 5,999
Quote:

I did similar for my Intruder. My HE-6 terminates in a 4-pin XLR, and I got a 4-pin --> RSA XLR adapter. Now getting some Jaben T5p with balanced cable terminating in 4-pin XLR, and probably get the same for my LCD-2. That way the same adapter can be used for all (in addition to the 6.3mm termination that comes standard with the HE-6). Not exactly cheap, but getting everything to terminate in 4-pin XLR helps.

It's crazy but with all the adapters I own I can connect my Moon-Audio mini-XLR cables to all kinds of amps regardless jack = 3-pin, 4-pin, and RSA balanced jacks, or 1/8" and 1/4" single ended jacks.  So far I've only done my HE-500 (and HE-6), LCD-2, and HD800 with mini-XLR cables from Moon-Audio.  The only other phones that I really want to do this to are my LA7000 (modded re-cabled D7000) but the Jenna Labs cable is not removable and too fat for a mini-XLR plug, so they're still sporting a 1/4" Furutech plug.  Those will have to get a 4-pin XLR instead.  

And, if all my headphones had a full size 4-pin XLR instead of mini-XLR I can still connect them to every amp, with the other adapters I have = a 1/8" to 4-pin, (four) 1/4" to 4-pin, a dual 3-pin to 4-pin XLR, and an RSA jack to 4-pin XLR.

Nov 27, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #697 of 5,999
I don't quite get all the mini XLR talk, I mean I understand the desire to have it as an option, in fact now that I have a little better understanding of all the balanced options that would probably be my choice if it was offered, but what I don't understand is the talk of using adapters. Do you guys already have headphones terminated with mini XLR's that you're trying to accommodate? If not, why would you terminate a new cable in mini XLR then use an adapter to go to the full sized 4 pin?

Nov 27, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #698 of 5,999
Quote:
I don't quite get all the mini XLR talk, I mean I understand the desire to have it as an option, in fact now that I have a little better understanding of all the balanced options that would probably be my choice if it was offered, but what I don't understand is the talk of using adapters. Do you guys already have headphones terminated with mini XLR's that you're trying to accommodate? If not, why would you terminate a new cable in mini XLR then use an adapter to go to the full sized 4 pin?

No, I'm talking about all my headphones cables terminating in 4-pin XLR, so that one 4-pin-->RSA XLR can serve for all headphones.

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #700 of 5,999
Quote:

No, I'm talking about all my headphones cables terminating in 4-pin XLR, so that one 4-pin-->RSA XLR can serve for all headphones.

Why?

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #702 of 5,999
Quote:
> I would like to know if the final version of the HiFi-M8 will have the more powerful chip ? My plan is to use the amp with the LCD-2 and I don't want to be disappointed
Yes, we are on track for the more powerful version. This assumption was tested at CANJAM in Denver. The flimsier chip didn't pass muster. We are going for gusto with the M8! LCD should be no problem. 

Very good news! Thank you.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #703 of 5,999
Quote:

Well, I thought it was more powerful in balanced mode than the USB powered DACport, although less powerful than the AC powered DACmini.  Still, power was quite adequate for the LCD-2 rev1.  My newer Rev2 are even more efficient than the ones I had at RMAF, and don't seem to need as much power.  Still, giving the HiFi-M8 as much power as the DACmini would be a nice bonus on top of the already excellent sound quality,

I have used the DACmini with my LCD-2 Rev.2 in the past and the power of the amp was just enough sufficient, I wouldn't want to use an amp that is less powerfull than the DACmini with the LCD-2.  But I have to admit that I like to listen to my music at a very high level.
I have also tried the LCD-3 with the DACmini and for my tastes, the amp was not powerfull enough to drive the LCD-3 correctly.

So if the amp of the HiFi-M8 is as powerful as the amp of the DACmini, I will be extremely happy because I'm planning to use it with the LCD-2 Rev.2.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #704 of 5,999
Quote:

One cable to rule them all!  Aftermarket cables are not cheap, even when DIY if you are using high quality materials.  With all the different connections out there for SE and Balanced, it can be quite expensive to get separate cables for each device.  Mini-XLR's combine a robust, compact, lightweight design, with low cost and should be a no brainer for a headphone connection.  I understand Ray Samuels is an avid photographer which led him to using the Kobiconn connector, but it is only marginally smaller than a mini-XLR, it forces a right angle which can be awkward at times, has poor strain relief, limits the geometry and thickness of wires coming out of it, and is quite frankly, ugly.  Saying all that, I think Ray is a very nice fellow and his amps sound fantastic so this isn't to impugn him or his work, just the connector itself.  I was dissapointed to see ALO and Cypher Labs adopt this connector as well.  

As for using full-sized XLR's for all the adapters, they are quite large and heavy, especially for something used portably or transportably.  A number of commercial manufacturers, have offered up a system of adapters based on the mini-XLR, most recently ALO with their Green line, and it seems that people think this is the right way to go.  I know my cable and adapters was a hit at a recent meet and many of the Head-fiers there will probably go down that path, too.  What I would love to see eventually is the use of mini-XLR as the standard for both portables and desktop amps.  I see it as the perfect middle ground (for SE just jumper or leave untouched the added pins).

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #705 of 5,999
Quote:

One cable to rule them all!  Aftermarket cables are not cheap, even when DIY if you are using high quality materials.  With all the different connections out there for SE and Balanced, it can be quite expensive to get separate cables for each device.  Mini-XLR's combine a robust, compact, lightweight design, with low cost and should be a no brainer for a headphone connection.  I understand Ray Samuels is an avid photographer which led him to using the Kobiconn connector, but it is only marginally smaller than a mini-XLR, it forces a right angle which can be awkward at times, has poor strain relief, limits the geometry and thickness of wires coming out of it, and is quite frankly, ugly.  Saying all that, I think Ray is a very nice fellow and his amps sound fantastic so this isn't to impugn him or his work, just the connector itself.  I was dissapointed to see ALO and Cypher Labs adopt this connector as well.  

As for using full-sized XLR's for all the adapters, they are quite large and heavy, especially for something used portably or transportably.  A number of commercial manufacturers, have offered up a system of adapters based on the mini-XLR, most recently ALO with their Green line, and it seems that people think this is the right way to go.  I know my cable and adapters was a hit at a recent meet and many of the Head-fiers there will probably go down that path, too.  What I would love to see eventually is the use of mini-XLR as the standard for both portables and desktop amps.  I see it as the perfect middle ground (for SE just jumper or leave untouched the added pins).

Well stated case for mini-xlr's. They also have a smaller footprint on the small faceplate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back