The CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 V2 Thread
Oct 17, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #363 of 820
I just joined and i wanted to thank you for this kind act. Wow you showed me how cool this place is!
Thanks! I’ll try to ship it out in the next couple of days. While I have it, this is wild:
image.jpg
Uh, where’s the signal or power cable?

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #364 of 820
The one and only thing that kept me from ordering this V2 is that my HiFiM8 V1 did not have a truly balanced output in my opinion. I am the first to say I might have been wrong, but since there was NO difference in sound balanced vs. single ended, not even in volume (which is usually louder for balanced), I suspected that CEntrance simply devised a way to put a single ended output into the balanced XLR connector.

I have later come to conclude that balanced does makes no difference for my or any other usual listening scenario, but I still thought that “balanced” as used by other companies, with two separate signal/ground pairs going to the headphone, was being short-circuited here.

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #365 of 820
The one and only thing that kept me from ordering this V2 is that my HiFiM8 V1 did not have a truly balanced output in my opinion. I am the first to say I might have been wrong, but since there was NO difference in sound balanced vs. single ended, not even in volume (which is usually louder for balanced), I suspected that CEntrance simply devised a way to put a single ended output into the balanced XLR connector.

I have later come to conclude that balanced does makes no difference for my or any other usual listening scenario, but I still thought that “balanced” as used by other companies, with two separate signal/ground pairs going to the headphone, was being short-circuited here.
It's not really a matter of opinion. The original M8 had a balanced connector but no internal balanced amp circuitry. It was there for convenience, in case you had a headphone with a 4-pin XLR connector. The new M8 has a lower power single ended amp, and a separate higher power balanced amp for hard to drive headphones. That way you can use iems with the lower noise single ended amp. The original wasn't great for iems due to the higher noise floor.

Oct 19, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #366 of 820
@SDBiotek , thanks for confirming my suspicion. I had also asked CEntrance whether the output was truly balanced and got an answer that for me was impenetrable, rather than a yes or no.

Oct 19, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #367 of 820
@SDBiotek , thanks for confirming my suspicion. I had also asked CEntrance whether the output was truly balanced and got an answer that for me was impenetrable, rather than a yes or no.
Yeah,I can't remember where I saw it, but Michael Goodman had confirmed it was not balanced (v1). Back then it probably made more sense to have just a single ended amp that was powerful enough, rather than increase cost and complexity (and maybe size) with a balanced circuit.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #370 of 820
Finally received the email today from CEntrance to pay the shipping fee and confirm the delivery. Now eagerly waiting to get the unit in my possession and put it though its paces; enjoy the music while at it:L3000:! Based on early feedback from @schalliol it appears to have been a worthwhile wait. For anyone curious to know - my Order #1608 was placed on June 27, 2019.

Oct 24, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #372 of 820
I would like to know what I could expect as delivery date.. but I don't get any response to my mails from Centrance.
My order was from May 2020 735$ shipping included, so it seems it could take a while ...
And now I am thinking there are some good alternatives coming out these next weeks...

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #374 of 820

Users who are viewing this thread

Back